Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wheelchairs needed in Mulege
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 09:59 AM
Wheelchairs needed in Mulege

It's been known to me for a long while that crutches, walkers and wheelchairs are not readily available for rent or purchase in the smaller towns of Baja Sur.

When in town today it was brought to my attention a pressing need: There's a young person in town with "diseased legs and unable to walk" whose aluminum wheelchair frame broke. Consequently this young man cannot leave the house and go to school.

I also know of a 95 year old lady who is still ambulatory but unable to go outside for sunshine and socialization because her wheelchair does not have detachable foot rests.

I know there are other cases in town, also, either of a permanent need or perhaps just temporary. I personally will see these donations of used but workable equipment are made available to those in need.

Is anyone coming down soon who can help with this, please? Please u2u me for more details and my contact information.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 11:01 AM

Mexico that I know has never been wheelchair friendly outside the house.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 05:06 PM

I saw many wheelchairs at reasonable prices at the san diego swap meet!

My mom has personally donated at least 12 pairs of crutches to la bocana.....I recently gave both the middle school n high school a couple pais. The rest went to the health clinic.

This December I will keep an eye out for slings. A kid hurt himself and could really have used one.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 05:10 PM

I've seen many walkers, crutches, and devices at the Sta. Rosalia 'Shack's 5th Avenue' Segundo sales area at the top of the main arroyo. Might take a look there, we'd go once a week just for the walk and a stretch (and a carne asada taco at the yellow taqueria). Need more directions? u2u me.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 06:37 PM

This young person doesn't have crutches. His wheelchair is broken.
He cannot get around the house nor to school.

Yes, it's true. Mexico isn't handicap friendly.
That doesn't mean that people cannot be benefitted by orthopedic devices.
They can, but unfortunately these things are hard-found here, are expensive and generally in poor used condition and break easily-- they're worn out, are to be purchased at an inflated price when they're found in second-hand stores.
Generally, these things such as crutches, walkers, bedside commodes and wheelchairs are made useful as long as possible and shared when they are available.

If someone is coming down soon, has room and can find a donated wheelchair
I'll be very grateful to accept it and get it to this child.
Please u2u me if you can help. Thank you so much.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:01 PM
Wheelchair needed

I'm bumping this thread up again.

The young person in need still cannot get out.
He is permanently crippled and will never walk.

His family cannot afford to buy a wheelchair for their son-- even a used one
that might infrequently be found in the second-hand shopping areas of Sta. Rosalia.

He's unable to go to school because he doesn't have a wheelchair.

Crutches are not appropriate because his condition is permanent.
He will not recover and will never walk.

Please, anyone. Many places in the US have used wheelchairs available, church thriftstores for example often receive them -- never sell them -- but give them away to those in need. If you could ask around, find one out and bring it down, I'll see he gets it and gets back to school.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:20 PM

Is there a "size"or other features that would make the best chair for the young man?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Estrella
Is there a "size"or other features that would make the best chair for the young man?
Excellent question, Estrella. Thank you for your interest.

He's about 16 years old, so an adult size would do perfectly.
He does need the feet attachments, too.
He does have use of his hands so can control it himself.

[Edited on 10-30-2014 by Mulegena]

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 05:03 AM

There are lots of wheelchairs in the Segundas in Insurgentes.
All sizes.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 06:35 AM

The family is simply asking at large in town for a donation of a new or used wheelchair for their crippled son.

Any way that can be achieved will be welcome; however, segundas do not give away their orthopedic supplies.

It's been brought to my attention because it's known that I work as a volunteer in local service, and also I suppose because I speak English and can extend the request outward beyond the townspeople to the visitors of Baja who are coming down at this time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.