Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back from Bahia de los Angeles
Oggie
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:37 PM
Back from Bahia de los Angeles

I made home from Bahia safe and sound. The border wait at 4pm Monday at San Ysidro was 20 minutes. I asked one of the border agents and he said it is like this most days, with more traffic on weekends.

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
Knights of Pythagoras

Funny how falling feels like flying
for a little while - Bad Blake
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 01:46 PM

And how was your trip to Bahia? Do you have any pictures or stories to share?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Oggie
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 02:18 PM

Hi Bob,
I went to bahia to check on our house and found no damage from Odile. Most of the damage was north of town where the the road drops thru the arroyo to the beach. Massive amounts water fell on the west slopes of the mountains behind Bahia and flowed north to the arroyo. There was not a lot of heavy rain in town.
95% of the town is up and running. there is a lot to flies, knats, and mosquitos around. It made it hard to work outside. There are 50+ whale sharks in the bay. Doc Abram said almost to many to count.

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
Knights of Pythagoras

Funny how falling feels like flying
for a little while - Bad Blake
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:52 PM

We just got back also. Las Gringa. First visit ,Daniel there ripped us off pretty good. Charged us $80 4 days then came back on the 3rd day and hit us for another $30 $10 per vehicle more. Flies were bad, used heavy solution of dawn and water wiped tables down no rinse. Just several Mosquito's. Ate at the restaurant on the round about and had the Oaxacan eggs, WOW! Never had this before. Dove but there was nothing really to see there. Found a cold water cove and it was full of rock oysters. Hope June will be better.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 01:16 PM

Thanks for the tip on Daniel at La Gringa. Ripoffs need to be recognized. Hopefully nobody will go there.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Thanks for the tip on Daniel at La Gringa. Ripoffs need to be recognized. Hopefully nobody will go there.

yeah it's a shame because the guy that was there 2 years ago (Alfredo) was great - super nice and really cared about the place. Last year all the woman (Daniel?) cared about was collecting the money - I'm Boycotting
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

yeah it's a shame because the guy that was there 2 years ago (Alfredo) was great - super nice and really cared about the place. Last year all the woman (Daniel?) cared about was collecting the money - I'm Boycotting

That sucks. I didn't even know that Alfredo was gone. Haven't been there in a while. What happened to him? (Alfredo)

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 03:35 PM

So help me visualize the site, where they are charging so much...

I camped on the gravel berm next to other campers with boats,
and I have set up my tent on the sand beach near the gravel berm at La Gringa, all back in the 1980's.
There was abandoned fish camp toilet structures facing the mangrove lagoon, back of the gravel berm, and one house on the far side of the sand beach from which someone collected the $5 and emptied the trash cans.

The other La Gringa camping area is past the mangrove on the gravel beach that looks upon Smith Island.

Here is a northward view of La Gringa and a bit of Smith Island on the right:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 03:47 PM

Camping fees are usually $5:00 per day - Treuboff - you need to learn to negotiate a little. If you simple said "demasiado" - too much -and started to drive away, the price would have dropped considerably. 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 05:19 PM

David K The area facing Smith island would be the spot. And it is a good spot, all gravel and no sand. The kayaks launched themselves. Like ball bearings. Marv, our mistake was we had already set up. Shame on us, but i don't mind the first charge everyone needs to stay in business. It was the 2nd charge that took us by surprise 3 days later. A couple of guys there accused him of being a meth head.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by treuboff
David K The area facing Smith island would be the spot. And it is a good spot, all gravel and no sand. The kayaks launched themselves. Like ball bearings. Marv, our mistake was we had already set up. Shame on us, but i don't mind the first charge everyone needs to stay in business. It was the 2nd charge that took us by surprise 3 days later. A couple of guys there accused him of being a meth head.

Thanks... bummer he was allowed to rip you guys off!

I think this is your spot?:

Nice place! In the Shadow of the Volcano!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So help me visualize the site, where they are charging so much...

I camped on the gravel berm next to other campers with boats,
and I have set up my tent on the sand beach near the gravel berm at La Gringa, all back in the 1980's.
There was abandoned fish camp toilet structures facing the mangrove lagoon, back of the gravel berm, and one house on the far side of the sand beach from which someone collected the $5 and emptied the trash cans.

The other La Gringa camping area is past the mangrove on the gravel beach that looks upon Smith Island.

technically they're not supposed to collect a camping fee in that particular area as it is a wildlife reserve. There's a fence and a sign marking the boundary. Instead you are supposed to get a permit from the parks department in town - this from the park rangers who came around 6 years ago.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:50 PM

That's it Dave. Mojo all fences were open and no signs of reserve up. Couldn't tell where their boundaries were by the Gringa signs and fences ran. They made no sense. probably a cultural thing
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 05:56 PM

looking to left of beach

bahia de la 1.jpg - 39kB
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 06:13 PM

and this one.

bahia de la.jpg - 31kB
fishmugger

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 06:39 PM

We just got back from camping at la gringa last week . He charged us 100 p per night . Last year it was 50p. Said not many campers as road was in bad shape. Told him his price was getting too much. He said high price on gas. We told him we know as we are using same gas. Typical mex thinking less people so make it up and charge more. Next time I think I will camp out of his domain if he keep his price high. Don't mind supporting local people but come on it's getting a little steep
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 07:34 PM

there are many spots along the road to Gringa. i'll put up some pics when I get on my home 'puter.

Jean

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 03:14 PM
Bahia two weeks in Oct

We spent two weeks in Bahia during October at Raquel & Larry's and wish to share a few nuggets:

1. If you are a flora/fauna lover, get down ASAP. This is the greenest northern Baja desert we've ever seen. There are also zillions of beautiful butterflies all over. Never have we seen such greenery and even grass (yes grass!) growing on the mountains and islands.

2. If you are into birds, we saw the largest concentration of diving pelicans every day.

3. All of the washouts have excellent detours and any vehicle can make it.

4. Every business, even those who had Odile damage, are open. Lots of cold beers in stock and delicious food in the restaurants.

5. We brought donations of clothing, bedding, and bug spray. The town seemed to be very well saturated regarding donations.

6. We frequented several restaurants and stores and asked if there's anything we can do to help. The resounding answer was "come to Bahia". They need our business.

7. If you want to lend a hand while you are there, try some beach clean-up with a stiff rake and heavy gloves. We really enjoyed it.

We love Bahia and want to see it thrive. Please visit soon. Happy travels!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:33 PM

yes, it is greener than ever!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.