Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The U Turn to San Felipe off Hwy 2
Travelinleah
Junior Nomad

Mood: Waiting.....

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 07:28 PM
The U Turn to San Felipe off Hwy 2

How tricky is the "U Turn" from Hwy 2 to Hwy 5 to get to San Felipe from San Luis??? Driving 35' RV with P/U truck behind, is it tricky or no big deal? Thanks!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 07:55 PM

Ya, it could be tricky to make the very first U turn that presents....it's all a matter of patience.

You can go as far north as you're comfortable with to cross those 3 lanes and make a left hand turn or U turn as the opportunity presents. For some reason, folks lose perspective with their GPS or phone yelling at them to turn, baby, turn....at the first intersection.

Relax and don't panic...it's still driving.....just in Mexico where there might actually be folks who give you some space.....be sure to signal, wave and smile.....it will all be good.....;D

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 08:03 PM

Don't take the first one. There's a better chance about a half mile.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 09:29 PM

There used to be a quicky U but the SB road was so narrow (no shoulder) they have now blocked it off.
The drill now is to drive N in the left lane until you get past the new restaurant in the trees and past the cars parked on the SB shoulder. Then do the U. Its a very long paved median so now its easy. I can even do the U with my trailer.
Due to heavy SB traffic at times you might find several vehicles parked in the median waiting to do the U. Not a problem - lots of open space for everyone.
Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 10:29 PM

Here's my reply to your earlier post concerned about the U Turn, in the Ride-along forum:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The interchange of 2-D (Libremente de Mexicali Toll Road) and Hwy. 5 was only half built... so they dump you onto Hwy. 5 northbound... No biggie, just drive about 1/4 mile to where you can make a safe, legal U-Turn to go south.

Coming home from San Felipe there is no northbound direct access to head west to Tecate, so in the same gap in the median we make that U-Turn as well.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 11:29 PM

Save a bunch of worry and hit the NAFTA entrance Mexicali
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 04:55 AM

I take this route all of the time out of Fenix and it is not a problem, at all.
First off, someone mentioned don't take the first turn, there is no first turn. They have blocked any way to turn until you get near the outdoor sea food restaurant. It is a 2 lane road on both sides, so there is plenty of room to make a U turn.

Now, all that being said, I have done this trip many times and, as of late, I have changed my trip back to going through Mexicalli East crossing.

Why?

1. San Luis, always stops me, even with a green light. I have a truck topper and without exception, they always want to see my back open.

2. San Luis after 3 pm or early in the morning has a backup that can be long.

3. Tolls have gone up, quite a bit. still it is less than 3 bucks for both.

4. Borde r patrol has closed the stop on Hwy 8 near Hwy 98 turn off. That stop was one of the reasons I started using San Luis

5. I take the airport road to get to Hwy 5. U2U me and I will try to translate how to find your way using this route. Note: This route has many pot holes on the road, just before you get to Hwy 5. in front of the LG TV factory.

6. It is about 15 minutes shorter and less miles. San Luis, you have to cut further south and then cut back north to get to Hwy 5.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 07:07 AM

Hey Blue, Try Algondones Many trips N we have found no line at all. Going S checks have been relaxed lately. Going N on any crossing with a camper expect an inspection from US inspectors.
Anyway the Algondones route still has plenty of bumpy roads until you get to Hwy2. The access from the border to 2 taking the west Mx road is a bummer due to all the small towns, so we continue to use 2 all the way to 5 via the canal route.
Trouble with Alondones is the hard rt turn to get to the US and I would never go that way with a trailer or a motorhome/bus. I am stuck with the Mexicali E crossing when I trailer. Bummer.
We gave up on the Airport route due to heavy traffic from the AP to 5. So we stick with Hwy2 all the way to 5. Toll is now 20 pesos. Good way to get rid of a pocket full of coins.
Paul

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.