Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Update on Tell-Tale on 115hp Merc
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:09 AM
Update on Tell-Tale on 115hp Merc

I made a post sometime ago regarding the fact that my 115hp merc (Yammie head) did not have any water coming out of the Tell-Tale (pee-hole) even though the motor ran fine and was never hot.
When I got there this trip I used the ear muffs-to-hose and ran the engine at low RPMs (1200-1500) and got a little trickle out of it; but still none when the boat was in the water running. On leaving, I did the same to wash out the salt water and the result was the same. Impellor is about 18 months old and prolly only has 20 hours on it.
I plan on my next trip to do the minor engine tune-up like plugs, oil change, water filter etc and will remove and cleanout the hoses to the tell-tale.
Not really wanting to do the impellor until next year.
What say you?
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:43 AM

We had a cheap impeller installed on a motor and a year later had a weak pee stream. Seems the impeller fingers harden and aren't able to flex so as to wipe the inside of the water pump housing efficiently
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 07:07 AM

Have you tried sticking a wire into the telltale? Sometimes they get some debris in them and just need to be opened up.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 07:33 AM

I have a couple of Yammie 200's that were both not peeing. They both had new impellers, so I inserted a copper wire and they were both plugged. Now they are peeing like a pair of race horses.
walters886
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaParrothead
I have a couple of Yammie 200's that were both not peeing. They both had new impellers, so I inserted a copper wire and they were both plugged. Now they are peeing like a pair of race horses.

X2. Pee hole button is likely plugged, a common problem on Yammi '90hp and 115hp motors. Simple fix suggestion: Run engine with muffs and insert a SOFT flexible wire or stiff piece of mono into the hole and lightly ream it out. If there is still no water discharge blockage may be on the other side of the pee hole button inside the hose. If pee hole button is clear remove engine cover, disconnect discharge hose from button and check for blockage in hose. If that doesn't improve stream consult marine urologist.

The small diameter of the hole on these Yammi's are prone to clogging with debris and also an ideal home for small insects. Let us know how you fixed problem. tx ws

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by walters886]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 11:23 AM

Those little wasp looking critters love to fill up small holes with mud for their nests.

On shelving that has adjustable shelves, with a hole for the support pin, is a favorite hangout.

More than once they have gotten into the pee hole on my 75 Yamaha.
Once the water starts to come out, it shows an instant of muddy water. Sure fire telltale.

Tape off that hole if the motor will not be used for a while.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 11:46 AM

Reaming the pee hole (I shiver even writing that!) should be tried first, but if that isnt it, I'd head straight for the impeller.

I had an older Sierra impeller as a back up and finally decided to put it into service.........because it was getting old. Lasted less than a hundred hours. I tried to eliminate everything else first; thinking that there's no way an impeller with < 100hrs would be the problem. WRONG! Several partially broken vanes. I'm back to using nothing but OEMs.

So, if it's a Sierra, you might want to START there.

I think a pee hole is really just a visual indicator that you'[re impeller is working. I dont think they are that important to the cooling of the engine. Most engine cooling water exits farther down the leg of most o/bs. But it is nice to see it operating. Much easier than checking the impeller regularly.

[Edited on 10-23-2014 by Hook]
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Those little wasp looking critters love to fill up small holes with mud for their nests.

On shelving that has adjustable shelves, with a hole for the support pin, is a favorite hangout.

More than once they have gotten into the pee hole on my 75 Yamaha.
Once the water starts to come out, it shows an instant of muddy water. Sure fire telltale.

Tape off that hole if the motor will not be used for a while.
The same thing happened to my friends Parker. He has twin 200 Yamahas and both pee holes were filled with mud.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 01:05 PM

you didn't mention the age of the motor. im guessin prostrate. does it always feel like peeing?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 05:58 PM

Sometimes those muffs leak enough that insufficient water gets to the impeller causing excessive wear. Wrapping a tie wrap squeezing the muffs tighter will help a lot to minimize the leakage.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:35 PM

I like the idea of using heavy mono. As an inshore guy, anything over 20# freaks me out. I've got some 50 and 80 some where, even some 100# leader I got thinking I would join the 35' Cruiser set.
Hook: I actually had a rotor-rooter of my, uhh, well, as you say. After three weeks they took the bag off and I nearly broke the porcelain with the power. Awesome, for sure.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

If that doesn't improve stream consult marine urologist.

Hahaha and Semper Fi

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.