Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adios to Amigos
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 10:58 PM
Adios to Amigos

I took a sad trip tonight, down the scrolls of information out of the archives of Amigos pages so thoughtfully posted by jeans. I don?t know how she found them. But they?re here, on Nomad, in her recent post to read if you want.

As I scanned and kept hitting the Pg Dn key on my keyboard I saw more and more memories pop up around me. Sitting in our home-office while the family was otherwise entertained, I was amidst a sea of ghosts. It was then I realized just what Amigos has really meant to me. It was a meaningful piece of my life for several years. It was a place I could go to relive Baja moments and to vent amongst friends when frustrated, to laugh, to cry, to protect and to despise, unfortunately. But Amigos was a world all of its own.

As I read a small subset of the archives, names drew around me, Santiago, Chopy, Mexray, El Camote and Mermalada, jeans, David, Debra, Paulina, Desert Bull, Desert Rat, M and David, Bajabus, David E, Baja Boy, Bajafan, David A and Yvonne, fishuntr,
Marla, Wild Bill & LN, Amo Pescar, 4Baja, Westy, Georock, Doc & Sylvia, Beach Bob, Tim W., Jimmy Smith, MSal, Capt Mike, Brandi, Tom, Neal and Marian, Oso, Whistler, EGL, RLang, Tommy & Lori, Porky, of course, and on and on; so many. So many. My mind is overwhelmed at the potential loss of so many names and personalities at the mere dropping of a website from my screen.

I certainly know that life will continue. I know many of my friends e-mail addresses and they mine. I know we will figure out the bigger picture of where to congregate if we want to, and that we?ll lose some who were tired anyway.

A web site is a small universe; I never realized that until now, now that it?s gone. Reading through a few old posts was a rerun of my life over the last year or two. So many things I thought inconsequential were there in front of me again and tearing away at me in numerous ways. Fires I had forgotten were re-kindled. Small moments amongst friends reborn.

I hope this situation has no lasting negative impact on Earle, Eric and Trish for all the difficult and loving times they had with Amigos. I hope the spin-offs will prove positive to others, Doug, Fred, where ever we will meet. And, mostly, I hope we Amigos choose to find ways to stay in touch. I never realized just how much these friendships, some everlasting, some brewing, just forming, meant to me. Until they were history.

[Edited on 8-29-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
BajaBronco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 11:26 PM
nicely written!

If you dont mind me asking... what happened to the "Amigos"?

Sorry we are just new here, just a little lost and curious :?:

~Marissa~

Bryan & Marissa
www.mcdigitaldesign.com
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 11:40 PM
BajaBronco

I'm new to Nomad also. The Amigos de Baja web site was, WAS!, a place where hundreds of us congregated. Many of us have met in remote Baja locations and shared campfires, searched for lost places, etc, over several years time. we have all, as have others, formed friendships. The Amigos web site just died. It was tired after a long life and that's OK. Several posters off Amigos have suggested using the Nomad board as a replacement. If that fits with Nomads purpose and the Amigos folks choose to participate, that would be fun. Thanks for asking and here's to Baja, and to Nomads!

[Edited on 8-29-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 11:48 PM

Mike... we amigos of Baja won't disappear. Thanks to Doug, we have this home. I am getting daily emails (at my web site) from amigos who don't read the other boards, and are miffed as to why their Internet Baja home is gone! I send them a link (to here) and remind them a few other boards are listed in my web site.

Doug really loves Baja and the Baja amigos. He is a master web host (and in business to help people use the Internet for financial gain)! Other than a brief delay when he switches equipment to handle the increasing size 'Baja Nomads', I think we have a stable home.

I do hope Doug produces some promotional goodies so we can assist financially in his efforts for our enjoyment!

Marissa, without any advance warning, Amigos de Baja 'retired' from the Internet. Wild Bill and Doug Means telephoned the Top Amigo, Earle, and confirmed it wasn't an accident to stay off line. I think Amigos (Bajanet.com) has been on the air since 1995. I began posting there in 1999, when I first got a computer and discovered them. Naturally, we will miss our 'home' of so many years!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBronco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2003 at 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Many of us have met in remote Baja locations and shared campfires, searched for lost places, etc, over several years time. we have all, as have others, formed friendships.

Wow, that is so cool... we dont mind joining any of you one day, we are new to this Baja road trips and kinda still afraid to go alone and WOULD love to discover COOL hidden places, and learn from you guys! :)
Quote:

Marissa, without any advance warning, Amigos de Baja 'retired' from the Internet. Wild Bill and Doug Means telephoned the Top Amigo, Earle, and confirmed it wasn't an accident to stay off line. I think Amigos (Bajanet.com) has been on the air since 1995. I began posting there in 1999, when I first got a computer and discovered them. Naturally, we will miss our 'home' of so many years!

That is amazing... I guess it was time to go huh... we found this SITE accidentally, we did so much searches about Baja and stumbled here, glad we joined and maybe one day join you guys on any future road trips, if you see my website, I love to take pictures also. :saint:

~Marissa~

[Edited on 08-25-1973 by BajaBronco]

Bryan & Marissa
www.mcdigitaldesign.com
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2003 at 07:10 AM

BajaBronco, your initial fears of traveling in Baja will soon disappear the more you travel the region. The people of Baja, especially the further south you go (not counting Cabo) are just outstanding. I'm happy to see that you are here with us.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

cool.gif posted on 8-30-2003 at 11:37 PM

was trying myself to figure out what happend to Amigos. And I sure do agree with the last post the farther south you go the people are just the nicest they come anywhere. except Cabo I think all the tourism has driven up the crime rate there. Dont be afraid to venture into Baja just be carefull dont drive at night Get Mex. auto insurance. never drive into baja without it. ::
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-3-2003 at 07:05 AM

Marissa,

I have no problem exploring the back country of Baja solo. I love the place, but live too far away to currently enjoy it.

The people are first rate. I remember one trip. I had to wait for friends since I had driven too far ahead of them. As I was waiting, on a narrow dirt two-track in the frickin' middle of no-where ... I looked up a saw a cowboy on a very skinny horse.

At first I was alarmed and didn't quite know what to do. So, I reached into my ice chest and pulled out a soda. I know as much Spanish now as I did then, so I simply held up the can and said "Pepsi?" The guy trotted forward and we exchanged grins, gracias and por nadas.:D)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.