BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Traveling north from Mulege on November 12 in the midst of Baja 1000!
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 04:48 PM
Traveling north from Mulege on November 12 in the midst of Baja 1000!

When making plans for our trip to Mulege to deal with the aftermath of Odile we did not even Think(!) about the Baja 1000...silly us. We are crossing at Tecate this weekend and figure we should be ok for lodging going south this soon but what will be the case going north in the midst of the race? Figure we can make it to El Rosario or San Quintin before dark. Any advice? Thanks!
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 04:57 PM

Reserve and pay for your return rooms on the way down if you can find any. Safer and better to stay in Mulege until the following Monday or so.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 04:59 PM

Rooms are already full. I would change days.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 04:59 PM

The race begins the 13th from Ensenada... the bikes are not such a big deal, but their chase vehicles and then the 4 wheeled racers that begin early afternoon and their chase vehicles will make travel north or through Ensenada something you should wait to do.

It can be a really fun and exciting thing to witness, or it can make you miserable... it all depends on your attitude during such a hyper-event as the world's oldest and biggest off road race!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:00 PM

The race starts on Thursday 11/13 at 6 am in Ensenada.

On 11/12, it should be quiet out there, but the following day, different story. You should consider spectating the race on Thursday in El Rosario or where ever, then continue traveling north on Friday when the race has past (it will be quiet again).

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:01 PM

I wish that would be possible but not so this time,
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:09 PM

Oops the timing was off on my last reply...I Like StuckSucks idea! Make the most of it! Life in Baja has a way of doing that to us.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Estrella
Oops the timing was off on my last reply...I Like StuckSucks idea! Make the most of it! Life in Baja has a way of doing that to us.

It may be too late, but try and extend your hotel reservation at Baja Cactus, or where ever you did to stay an extra day. It is probably impossible to get a room during the race anywhere along the course?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Estrella

Last week I checked the hotels in San Quintin for something the night of the 12th. They were all full. Maybe there will be a cancellation.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:47 PM

Maybe we can leave a day or 2 earlier or see if we can be ready to camp..hmmm. does anyone know if the RV place next to Jardines, the name is escaping me….ever opened for business?
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 09:47 AM

I have a similar problem; anyone know whether driving north on 11/16 (Sunday) would be a challenge from Mulege to the border? Not worried about hotels because I 'll do the drive in one day, more concerned about traffic, checkpoints, etc. Would it be better to wait a week and do the trip north on 11/23?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
I have a similar problem; anyone know whether driving north on 11/16 (Sunday) would be a challenge from Mulege to the border? Not worried about hotels because I 'll do the drive in one day, more concerned about traffic, checkpoints, etc. Would it be better to wait a week and do the trip north on 11/23?

The awards ceremony will be Sat in La Pa. You can anticipate increased traffic sat and sun but not as bad as during the race. Bigger issue could be the border.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 10:42 AM

Estrella, one more thought. What about driving north on 5 thru San Felipe? You hang a right at Laguna Chapala - you'll have to deal with around 25 miles of washboardy dirt road, but once you hit the pavement near Gonzaga, you're flying! And since the race traffic will stick to the Pacific side, hotels and traffic won't be an issue (north of Chapala).

I'm departing Loreto on 11/16 and that's my plan.

Date corrected.

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by StuckSucks]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StuckSucks
Estrella, one more thought. What about driving north on 5 thru San Felipe? You hang a right at Laguna Chapala - you'll have to deal with around 25 miles of washboardy dirt road, but once you hit the pavement near Gonzaga, you're flying! And since the race traffic will stick to the Pacific side, hotels and traffic won't be an issue (north of Chapala).

I'm departing Loreto on 9/16 and that's my plan.

I am assuming you mean 11/16.. we will be leaving from Abreojos on the 17th and expect some traffic. Haven't decided which route to take yet since the Chapala to Gonzaga route could be chewed up pretty good from race traffic.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 09:52 PM

Really like StuckSucks idea of getting over to Gonzaga and up to San Felipe. Was wondering if you are really an old friend named Rand? In the very early 70's we would drive south of San Felipe, he would drive his old Dodge Power Wagon and I drove my old VW Camper van. We would go until one of us would get stuck in a mudflat or sand, then would dig or push or tow ourselves out...getting stuck can really suck but boy did we have fun once we got to the "perfect place"!
But alas, we have a narrow window of time between taking care of things in Mulege and getting back to work. So will take our time on the morning of the 11th, get to GN, hope to find lodging there. The new place is booked but will keep looking. Any suggestions? We were able to find rooms in Guadalupe Valle for the 12th, getting by Ensenada before the start of the race. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Wishing we had more time to sit back and observe this event. But I am sure we will see our fair share on our trip north.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.