BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do You Need To Protect Your Boat's Bottom?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 12:21 PM
Do You Need To Protect Your Boat's Bottom?

I was reminded of this on a drive yesterday and spotted a few of these. Thought it might be a good suggestion for Baja boaters.

So, now you've spent spend thousands, but leave your bottom unprotected? Most of us boaters who travel any distances on gravel and rough roads use one of these trailer guards that protects the part of your boat that often gets forgotten about when traveling – the vulnerable hull.

Gravel, rocks, and other debris that flies up from those unpaved highway edges or the gravely back roads we’re following to that certain spot….all that will make your nice new boat hull look like the world’s worst case of acne. Just a thought for those who might need to have their boat bottoms protected.

Let the hijacking begin....as usual.

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 01:02 PM

I've received 2 U2U messages about boat hull guards and how much they cost? All the builders I know are up north...Lund, Rock Guards in Montana, etc. But there are southern builders and distributors...and can be ordered anywhere. Costs run from about $450 and up. Protection also available for fiberglass hulls, like spray liners.

[Edited on 11-8-2014 by Pompano]

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:14 AM

I don't own a power boat and didn't know about these guards, but they make a lot sense. Good idea, thanks for sharing. :light:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 11:31 AM

wouldn't good long tire mud flaps work just as well. Or whole rear end flaps like I have seen on motorhomes / buses?

Do the front wheels kick 'em up too.

Lee S
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wetto  
wouldn't good long tire mud flaps work just as well. Or whole rear end flaps like I have seen on motorhomes / buses?

Do the front wheels kick 'em up too.

wetto, while mud flaps do serve a good purpose, there's a couple reasons why that type of guard does not work as well as a 'boat' shield that fully protects you boat. Debris and rocks you encounter on gravel and rough unpaved roads into a fishing area, that are sometimes hundreds of miles long, come not only from your tow vehicle tires, but also from oncoming or passing rigs...and at twice the speed. When meeting oncoming traffic, rocks will come from all tires, front and rear. Meet a logging truck at 50mph and it's like a blizzard of rocks.

And with a boat shield, you don't have to outfit every vehicle you own with sometimes unsightly mud flaps. The wife won't like them on her family sedan, which is not of small importance. Plus, adding the boat guard to your trailer increases it's value.

Hope this helps to explain about boat shields. There are many different types from which to choose. Good luck and Happy Boating.

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by Pompano]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.