Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Pole Line Trip - 3
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 12-26-2004 at 03:01 PM
The Pole Line Trip - 3

Onward! The remaining two hills before we got out of the mountains and back onto the desert floor were not in really bad shape so we tried to make up time to little avail. The only excitement was where the road was washed out where it entered a wash. I hate to admit it but there was no problem for Jeeps, just a problem for my PopTop camper on my Toy. It does not like to tilt over 30 degrees (and I like it even less). Quickly considering my options, I jumped out and told Marian, ?No Problem! Just keep left? I guess it worked, ?cause when I opened my eyes, she was down OK. Darkness overcame us we got to a decision point where we had to go north or south after coming out of the mountains and so I went for the easier-in-the-dark north route. Once again the Gods were offended. We came to a washout and could not find the continuation of the road across the wash in the dark so we camped. Not a bad camping spot, but we were getting behinder and behinder time wise. The next morning we drove around and hiked around until we found the road and got moving again. No more problems, we came to Hwy. 5 after passing Ejido Jose Saldana and headed for San Felipe.

So?. Who woke everyone up at 5:30? That no-account Leader who broke camp at 9:00 a.m. except this one morning, that?s who! :lol:

Gassed us and full of a great lunch from George?s, we headed west across Valle Chico to the base of Cerro Diablo where we were to camp near Canyon Diablo. New fences everywhere and a friendly stop by a Mexican Army Hummer slowed us down again until we arrived in camp once again in the dark. It was starting to seem normal so no one complained. The next morning, we hiked over the ridge and up to the big waterfall where Richard showed us how to use the cable to walk up the rock face sideways to get to the top. Lots of small waterfalls and great pools on the way up. Afterwards, we drove out to the middle of the valley where half of us went north toward home and the other half went back to San Felipe to spend their remaining pesos!

So?. Who kept trying to shampoo my wife? My ?Buddy? John Page, again, after sending me on a half mile hike in Copper Canyon, to get Marian some shampoo, I came back to find her singing in the shower, with a bottle of his shampoo in her hand!

So?. Who swings like a monkey on a rope? No one had the guts but Richard!

Good trip, no real problems, good people, so-so guide. :lol:

[Edited on 12-26-2004 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 05:25 PM

Neal,

Can you tell everyone what happened when Richard tried to toss the rope to me for my climb up the rock face???:lol:

-Ken
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 10:19 AM

Ken wanted the cable so Richard tossed it down to him. Wrong! The cable was very necessary to Richard if he didn't want to chance a very cold bath. Ken chickened out and tried to toss the cable back up, but it didn't make it. Poor Richard (pun) tried to crawl/walk up to the anchor point to grab the cable but kept sliding back...and back...and nearer the edge.

But Richard finally made it up to the cable! Good dog!:spingrin:

The moral of this story...don't toss anything to Ken but rocks!:lol::lol::lol:

Desert Rat: One of our guys talked to the owner briefly and got a friendly reception.:bounce:

My motto:
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 07:09 PM

Richard's problem:

My motto:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 07:43 PM

what a great set of reports. What a great set of friends. You should travel more often as long as you agree to document your trips and post them! Thank you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.