Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Pheasants & memories
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 10:54 AM

Pompano can you recommend a good goose gun for KS shooting? I always thought one used something besides 12 GA or is it all about the shell capability like 3" or so??

I don't know if my LC Smith 12 GA can hold bigger than 2.75 " shells, but it is a dbl B.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Pompano can you recommend a good goose gun for KS shooting? I always thought one used something besides 12 GA or is it all about the shell capability like 3" or so??

I don't know if my LC Smith 12 GA can hold bigger than 2.75 " shells, but it is a dbl B.

Mike, a lot depends on what type of shooting you will be doing.
Shooting geese from a decoy set means that your shots will most likely (and should be) within 35 yards. A good shotgun choice would be a 12ga. with either regular or 3" shells with #1 steel shot...you can go to larger BB type loads but it's not necessary. Steel shot penetrates quicker and deeper than the old lead shot. It's up to you what type shotgun. I prefer my over/under Browning. (Only 2 shots, but why get the limit so soon, anyway?) A lot of hunters prefer pumps or autos...with a 3 shot maximum.

For pass shooting, the birds will be quite a bit further away. Use the heavier loads in 3 in. mag. You'll be leading the target by a few lengths...needs a little practice.

Good luck out there...and Good Hunting.

p.s. that LC Smith double barrel should say on the barrel about shell size. If in doubt use the shorter shotshells. Sounds like you'll be decoying and you won't need the 3" anyway. In the deeks, let them come in..and put your front bead on the bird's beak...and follow through as you shoot.

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 12:12 PM

You cant shoot steel through that elsie...NO NO.....It will likely have 2 3/4 inch chambers, few had 3 inch...but NO STEEL it will ruin the chokes....

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
You cant shoot steel through that elsie...NO NO.....It will likely have 2 3/4 inch chambers, few had 3 inch...but NO STEEL it will ruin the chokes....

Whatever shotgun you use, Mike...it is illegal to shoot any lead shot these days. NO LEAD SHOT ALLOWED FOR WATERFOWL SINCE THE LATE '70'S. You cannot even be in possession of lead shot while hunting waterfowl.

If you are against using the new steel shot, then try bismuth or tungsten...but both have problems and are rather expensive. Remember, lead shot is illegal for waterfowl hunting. Always check the state regs to see if lead shot is allowed for upland game.

Mike, your short hunt with newly designed steel shot shells will not ruin the chokes. The problem of steel shot scratching shotgun bores was solved by using thicker shot cups that cushioned the shot and acted as a barrier between the shot column and barrel wall. Damage to chokes was likewise either reduced or eliminated by using thicker shot cups, plus gunmakers were now tempering new screw-in chokes specifically for steel shot. It's up to you.

I'm been shooting my expensive Browning O/U's in 12 and 20 ga. with steel for many years now, since 1979. The screw-in chokes are still good...or they must be...

..as I save wear and tear by only shooting one shell per bird, but maybe that's just me. ;)

This Saskatchewan hunting photo shows me with a daily limit of 5 honkers....5 shots total. (Plus some snow geese, which were a bonus.) I did that for all 3 consecutive days that I was at my Canadian friend's farm. Not bragging, as the huge honkers are like shooting at barn doors coming into your decoys. We hunted harvested pea fields...an excellent goose feed. All steel shot up there, too, by the way.

[Edited on 11-24-2014 by Pompano]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 01:55 PM

yeah, as a long time KS hunter I am all familiar with prohibited lead shot near water. My cousins from Great Bend who are all pro level geese shooters have blinds but mainly shoot on the pass. So they like the colder windy days when the birds in migration stay lower. but they all learned how to lead and limit every weekend morning they go. they own purpose guns for geese but sitting here in AZ now I can't say which ones they have. Out in Barton county waterfowl sporting is like almost a religion. Since I grew up on pheasant and quail we walked fields with dogs and blockers. My dad didn't like sitting around a blind.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 07:32 PM

Steel shot in that old elsie WILL wreck your chokes....but, it's your gun...do what you want ............

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 07:37 PM

Steel shot in that old elsie WILL wreck your chokes....but, it's your gun...do what you want ............

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Well, Mike and chuckie, I was brought up around guns of every type and have shot firearms of all kinds. Like all things in life experiences, you will have your opinion and I will have mine.
But I have a love affair with guns, so let's keep talking. In my gun collection, which is embarrassingly considerable after 5 decades, I have an LC Smith, an Ithaca, a Fox, a Matador (10 gauge), a prized Parker Vulcan and more...all side by sides in 10-12-16-20 gauges. I don't shoot any of these doubles anymore as they are purely collectables for me.

After years of seeing out of both eyes and having gotten used to having five fully functioning fingers on each hand, I have adopted a rather-safe-than-sorry attitude. As a general rule, I no longer fire any double made before WWII. I have one exception to this rule and it is my French Darne in 16 gauge which is double-proofed and stronger than anything similar made in the USA. Quite sweet to carry after ruffed grouse and pheasant.

Any double in fine condition is safe to shoot only with the loads for which the gun was built. Remember, you can't replace the sight lost from a damaged eye, so only shoot those guns and loads that were meant to be used together! I know dozens of hunters who are using their older and favorite shotguns with new steel loads. They are knowledgeable, of course, and will have checked the barrels first.

For instance, an old Parker 12-gauge shotgun I have is in excellent condition, and if I ever were to shoot it, I would shoot only black-powder loads in its Damascus barrels. But I will never shoot it.

The most correct response I can think of for you is ....Let your gunsmith in Arizona look over the gun. I know there are plenty in the Mesa area. If he tells you it's safe to shoot then you can shoot it. NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT, BUT THE BEST RESPONSE HERE! Not every gunsmith has all the knowledge required to insure your safety. But among the things a gunsmith will do is measure your chambers for length and diameter to see if they are still factory standard.

Hah...now maybe all this has got you into thinking of a brand new shotgun? But take heart, you really don't need one. And don't let the gunsmith talk you into one...in case he's a seller. Use the double with the correct legal loads... and have a good hunt.

[Edited on 11-25-2014 by Pompano]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.