BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Purisma east to Mex 1?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:26 PM
La Purisma east to Mex 1?

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the road was impassable, post Norbert and Odile but I can't find anything recent.
Was that information correct, and if so, has it been re-opened?
How about the road south of there that passes through two Comandu villages?
I have never been on either of those roads. A few tough spots is no problem, but hours of crawling is not on my wish list on the way north.
Thanks for any info, G.L.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:34 PM
TW

I believe TW just did that route a week before the 1000 - I'm sure he'll comment; but would have mentioned it in his trip write up if it were trouble.

John M
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 03:55 PM
baja roads

fresh,local intel is the best...if they look at your tires,,,,you might want to pass on that road !!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:18 PM

east road is out.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:59 PM

??
Yet, the Baja 1000 just ran a couple hundred vehicles over it, and most of them are 2WD, some are stock like Class 11. Just go slow if it is too rough at speed.

Obviously, be comfortable and hear from TW, Starstucks or others who may have just used it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:12 PM

How did I miss that? I came down the west side from San Ignacio following the score markers, but decided to stay on the pavement from San Juanico on in to La Paz. I did not know the course headed east at La Purisma!
Anyway, my question is answered, I'm good to go on another new (to me) road!
Thanks for the feedback.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:36 PM

I did not go east thru La Purisima to Hwy 1 but as DK said the Baja 1000 went that way until about 2 miles before Hwy 1 so I'd say it's good to go. I went south to CD Constitucion then went north on Hwy one thru Coco's and San Felipe. No problems. Met lots of McMillin support crew at the Cowboy hotel in Guerrero Negro Tuesday night before the race.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:40 PM

Yes, the western slope to/from La Purisima is open, and AKg., you're gonna have so much darn fun up there you may want to stay overnight. You can do so in San Isidro. Gas is also available in San Isidro as is wifi and telegraph.

Stop in the little towns, go to the church in San Isidro, walk around and view the old adobe houses.

Enjoy the view of the flat-top mountain called El Pilon rising out of the river valley.

In La Purisima you'll see cinderblock houses alongside cottages of petate and dirt floor. Petate is a hand-woven mat of the cane bamboo that grows wild on the riverbank. It's harvested in the dark of the moon. You may see families weaving them. Stop and say hello-- you may be speaking to my husband's family who still live up there. They're nice people.

Take your camera because you'll find yourself in a natural oasis of orchards where mangos, citrus fruit and avocados are cultivated that you'll find nowhere else on earth!

You'll follow the aquaduct "asequia" (ah-SEK-i-a) that meanders through the whole of the villages and transports the fresh water that comes right out of the mountain.

Stop in one of the stores and ask to buy some goat cheese. It's made by the rancheros who live in the olden ways 'way back up in the mountains.

Return some time in the spring when they're grinding the cane on the gristmill by mule-power. Watch them boil it down and pour into the wooden molds to make the sweet piloncillo.

If the mountain life that is in the villages up there appeals to you, you'll return again and again.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AKgringo
How did I miss that? I came down the west side from San Ignacio following the score markers, but decided to stay on the pavement from San Juanico on in to La Paz. I did not know the course headed east at La Purisma!
Anyway, my question is answered, I'm good to go on another new (to me) road!
Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure how you missed all the maps posted here on Nomad, but that's okay, we are happy to help!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Yes, the western slope to/from La Purisima is open, and AKg., you're gonna have so much darn fun up there you may want to stay overnight. You can do so in San Isidro. Gas is also available in San Isidro as is wifi and telegraph.

Stop in the little towns, go to the church in San Isidro, walk around and view the old adobe houses.

Enjoy the view of the flat-top mountain called El Pilon rising out of the river valley.

In La Purisima you'll see cinderblock houses alongside cottages of petate and dirt floor. Petate is a hand-woven mat of the cane bamboo that grows wild on the riverbank. It's harvested in the dark of the moon. You may see families weaving them. Stop and say hello-- you may be speaking to my husband's family who still live up there. They're nice people.

Take your camera because you'll find yourself in a natural oasis of orchards where mangos, citrus fruit and avocados are cultivated that you'll find nowhere else on earth!

You'll follow the aquaduct "asequia" (ah-SEK-i-a) that meanders through the whole of the villages and transports the fresh water that comes right out of the mountain.

Stop in one of the stores and ask to buy some goat cheese. It's made by the rancheros who live in the olden ways 'way back up in the mountains.

Return some time in the spring when they're grinding the cane on the gristmill by mule-power. Watch them boil it down and pour into the wooden molds to make the sweet piloncillo.

If the mountain life that is in the villages up there appeals to you, you'll return again and again.

THIS IS WONDERFUL ADVICE!

La Purisima history began nearly 300 years ago (and of course the natives were there even longer, calling the place Cadegomó). The mission ruins (rubble) are next to the Jesuit crypts (in town).

1906 photo of La Purisima mission church:

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:12 PM

La Purisma motel:

Town:

Outskirts:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 07:54 PM

Motoged, Thanks for the photos, I am looking forward to making that run.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 10:25 PM

AK,
Give yourself a day to also go to the twin pueblos of Commondu....the LAST of old Baja and a gem :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
??
Yet, the Baja 1000 just ran a couple hundred vehicles over it, and most of them are 2WD, some are stock like Class 11. Just go slow if it is too rough at speed.

Obviously, be comfortable and hear from TW, Starstucks or others who may have just used it.

This is an opportunity to see if the money from SCORE for post-race road repair actually get used for that purpose. In past years when the race has taken that route I have not once seen any repair efforts after the race except those done by local ranchers for whom the road is essential.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 01:25 PM

LOL... yup, SCORE pays the Mexican government for road regrading. Does it ever happen after a race?

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 03:14 PM

I have found roads very torn up after the race. We would drive on a 2 track from San Antonio del Mar to Erendia. After the Race one year the road shook the truck so hard all the beer bottles gassed off. :lol::lol:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 04:06 PM

Mulegena, where is Ricardo from? Question, El Pilo or El Piton? Look rather Sexy to a hot blooded Man. Beautiful pictures with water en las barrancas.

IEnjoy. Tio went thru La Ballena and before I do Comondu and now need new shocks. La Frontera. Tio:bounce:

[Edited on 11-22-2014 by tiotomasbcs]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.