Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Coleman Stove question
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
Where do you dispose of used/empty butane or propane containers?

Don't know about butane but the 1 lb propane cylinders are easy to refill from a standard 5 gallon propane tank so no reason to dispose of them.

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 05:04 PM
think about this !!

when SHTF (chubasco/tremer/crazy US gov stuff) gas/diesel/kerosin we be avable and propane will be impossible to find..and propane is muy pelegrosso.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
when SHTF (chubasco/tremer/crazy US gov stuff) gas/diesel/kerosin we be avable and propane will be impossible to find..and propane is muy pelegrosso.

Yeah. Good suggestion on the five gallon container but not applicable to my situation.

BTU - cost - availability - safe storage all need to be researched.

Seems like convenience is the main goody for propane/butane.

"At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all ...."
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 06:11 PM

My 3-gal. propane tank which feeds stove, lanterns, and heaters lasts me for several years as I use it only for camping. Cost is irrelevant under these circumstances. Yes, "convenience" is the big driver in using propane instead of the other stuff.

Barry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 06:22 PM
Hola barry !!

Glad to hear from you...The reason I stay away from propane unit's is the flash point and I can always find gas/diesel/kerosene...I agree that if your going with propane go all out with the "T" if your not moving and have a fridge...Think "norcold or dometic"...myself am a "vagabundo" and keep my gear ready to hit the road/boat........
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 08:31 PM

Propane is convenient, but not only. BTU and cost are not a problem. 1 lb propane cylinder lasts me 8-10 days for one person, this is with 2 hot meals a day - cooked, not just boiled - and countless cups of tea and coffee. When it lasts that long, a disposal/recycling becomes a non-issue either, unless you are a hiker or cyclist.

Availability "could" be a problem, but in all my wilderness trips - and there were many - it has never been. Just plan ahead and bring enough propane. Green 1lb cylinders are available in hardware stores in many places in Baja. And, whenever I couldn't find one, they usually had long blue cylinders for propane torch - same propane, same thread.

Small cylinders with butane/propane mix by MSR, Primus etc for so called "backpacking stoves" are aluminum and therefore truly recyclable, but I don't like them for Baja. BTU isn't much different from propane, but they cost 2 times as much and less readily available.

Now, why somebody can't use a LED headlamp - as a flashlight - under the dash, is beyond me. You can hold it in hand, duh :) ... There are some pretty bright LED headlamps.
Though when you need REALLY bright and focused light, those military-looking flashlights is the way to go. Short of doing some complicated repairs, I wouldn't imagine needing one. On the boat it's different, a headlamp is a no-no. Too many things on the boat to rip it off your head and right into water. Propane lanterns don't fare well on water either.

[Edited on 12-13-2014 by Alm]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Propane is convenient, but not only. BTU and cost are not a problem. 1 lb propane cylinder lasts me 8-10 days for one person, this is with 2 hot meals a day - cooked, not just boiled - and countless cups of tea and coffee. When it lasts that long, a disposal/recycling becomes a non-issue either, unless you are a hiker or cyclist.

Availability "could" be a problem, but in all my wilderness trips - and there were many - it has never been. Just plan ahead and bring enough propane. Green 1lb cylinders are available in hardware stores in many places in Baja. And, whenever I couldn't find one, they usually had long blue cylinders for propane torch - same propane, same thread.

Small cylinders with butane/propane mix by MSR, Primus etc for so called "backpacking stoves" are aluminum and therefore truly recyclable, but I don't like them for Baja. BTU isn't much different from propane, but they cost 2 times as much and less readily available.

Now, why somebody can't use a LED headlamp - as a flashlight - under the dash, is beyond me. You can hold it in hand, duh :) ... There are some pretty bright LED headlamps.
Though when you need REALLY bright and focused light, those military-looking flashlights is the way to go. Short of doing some complicated repairs, I wouldn't imagine needing one. On the boat it's different, a headlamp is a no-no. Too many things on the boat to rip it off your head and right into water. Propane lanterns don't fare well on water either.

[Edited on 12-13-2014 by Alm]

So. Where do you dispose of used/empty butane or propane containers?
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 04:49 PM

Cree LED flashlights with 18650 rechargeable batteries out shine all others. Up to 5000 lumens a small penlight flashlight looks like a big 5 cell. Newest technology, mainly in China. Wouldn't you know it, Amazon carries them.

Butane is great, but in cold weather ineffective. Newest stoves use isobutane to overcome that limitation.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 08:15 PM

Same place where you dispose of used food cans. Garbage bin. Better than throwing it out in desert. If you take it back North and put next to dumpsted in city, local bums will pick it up when collecting scrap metal. Steel is getting expensive, thanks to "developing nations". Punch it with a nail. Coleman is now supplying those small 1 lb cylinders with the "Green Key", a small plastic plunger to let out whatever milligrams of gas remain there after it doesn't burn anymore.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Newest technology, mainly in China.

I hardly even remember the last time that some new technology originated in China. CREE is a North Carolina company, and have a factory there. Chinese subsidiary started making those lights on their factory a few years ago.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 12:20 AM

Same place where you dispose of used food cans. Garbage bin. Better than throwing it out in desert. If you take it back North and put next to dumpsted in city, local bums will pick it up when collecting scrap metal. Steel is getting expensive, thanks to "developing nations". Punch it with a nail. Coleman is now supplying those small 1 lb cylinders with the "Green Key", a small plastic plunger to let out whatever milligrams of gas remain there after it doesn't burn anymore.

if you get the right adapter you can refill them. seems like too much trouble when a BBQ tank lasts forever!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 12:52 PM

Woody, you can refill 1lb canisters, yes. Adapters are available on Amazon. It's recommended to put 1 lb canister in freezer for a few hours, before refilling.

It's just that Cisco said he can't refill it. Probably on some bike or quad trip. Punch a hole and throw it with other garbage. Put it next to some discarded car body or junk yard, it will be taken away with scrap metal.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 02:14 PM

Woody, you can refill 1lb canisters, yes. Adapters are available on Amazon. It's recommended to put 1 lb canister in freezer for a few hours, before refilling.

It's just that Cisco said he can't refill it. Probably on some bike or quad trip. Punch a hole and throw it with other garbage. Put it next to some discarded car body or junk yard, it will be taken away with scrap metal.

Yes, refilling would be a consideration of lack of space Alm.

I was also told (several years ago, may have changed) NOB, San Diego, that it was illegal to put them in the trash or leave them out for scavengers and the recycling places I have gone to tell me that they require special recycling, like batteries, some paints and other combustibles and other listed products.

That City of San Diego on occasion sets up a special disposal day/unit to take all of those hazardous items and that you wait for that day.

I am aware NOB. My question pertained to SOB.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 08:08 PM

I doubt there are any special recycling programs SOB for those propane cylinders. You will have a hard time finding any recycling programs at all, for anything. The issue of legality is kinda moot there either. Steel has gone up, so now they are picking up rusty car bodies that people used to leave in desert. The only reason why fewer people are throwing those car bodies away now, and other people are picking it up, is that they can sell it to junk yard.

In Mexico I follow minimal footprint guidelines, burning my food cans to destroy the protective coating so that corrosion would go faster, flatten them and drop in a dumpster or bury it where I see fit. Empty propane cylinder with a hole in the side is just another piece of steel.

NOB there are occasionally recycling programs for those small propane cylinders, but my conscience won't suffer either if I puncture it and throw in a roadside garbage bin. Will the NOB dump truck people go after me for doing this, doesn't bother me since I live in condo. Their safety is not at risk in this case.

Empty cans after household cleaners or solvents are way more dangerous in trash. Batteries and paints require special recycling because they contain led and other hazardous metals.

[Edited on 12-15-2014 by Alm]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 10:21 PM
colemann 533 Dual Fuel stove

got my first one 25+ years ago and its never let me down !! and with 10,000 BTU will boil water faster than any camp stove hands down..for that first cup of coffee,,not waiting for a wimp/wanna be camp stove that I see marketed !!!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.