Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paying for a tourist card at Mexicali west
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 02:04 PM
Paying for a tourist card at Mexicali west

I know where to get the tourist card on the left as you enter Mexicali, but I do not know where to pay. Is there a bank office in the same building or nearby?

John M
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 02:10 PM

Last time I got mine at Mexicali the bank was on the right side immediately after crossing the border. I parked in front of the immigration office then walked about a block back to where the bank is. It was a few years ago so not sure if it is still the same.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 04:18 PM

On the SanFelipe.com.mx site, on the Kats Korner section,
a few weeks ago ,mid Oct maybe, there was mentioned
the Mexicalli west crossing re: the fmm. As I remember she described having to walk 3/4 blks. into Mexicalli from the
Mex Imm office to a bank,
to pay the fmm fee. On a Sun., they apparently issue an
fmm with the pay in SF at the bank stipulation. As posted
there has been a teller to the right of the gate arms entering
Mex at the west crossing, it APPEARS that is it is no longer there,
but it is Mex
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 04:31 PM

Go to the East crossing....very easy
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 05:20 PM

Too bad that they don't take the payment right there like they do in Tijuana and Tecate.

Next to the INM office is a bank teller/ window for accepting the fee. IF the bank window is closed, the INM officer has a cash box for accepting the payment all other hours the border is open. This was a new service that began in early 2012. Since the border (INM office is a Federal office, the same rules should apply to all INM offices at all borders). Alas, this is Mexico and anything goes, still it seems?

You other option is to stop at Discover Baja Travel Club and buy the pre-paid FMM so you only need to get it stamped in Mexico when you enter, no bank mystery issues.

Be sure to call Discover Baja and confirm they have FMMs, and will be open when you are in San Diego. It may be possible to get them via express mail? Again, make sure they have them ahead of your trip.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 05:28 PM
nbacc - east crossing

We've often returned via the east crossing but never entered that way. Could you explain the "easy" way? It's hardly out of the way for an easy entry.

thanks.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2014 at 06:23 AM

Always have crossed in the 6am hour to be in San Felipe for breakfast! At that hour you pay right in the office just as DK reported. Real convenient and the 'rush hour' traffic is mostly going the other way across the border.

Doing this has also revealed to us just how many school kids are being dropped off by their parents near the office to access the underground walk way to the border crossing north. Seems most are dressed as what might be Catholic school garb.

And the sunrise is just a little more beautiful as you exit to point the car south :)
floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 05:16 PM
Any updates on entering East or West to pay for FMM?

Planning on entering on Jan 1, and that is a Sunday. The payment part entering East or West is puzzling. I cannot seem to find any banking hours and will not be staying in San Filepe, but going South....
Any advice on the banking part?
Thanks
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 05:25 PM

I crossed at Mexicali west on the Sunday before thanksgiving at about 1:30 in the afternoon. The IM official filled out the paperwork for me, and I paid him 390 pesos right there (actually 400, or wait for change).

It couldn't have been smoother, approximately 15 minutes crossing time on a Sunday afternoon!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mexicali-kid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 05:28 PM

AKgringo is right, I had the same experience last week. Pay where you get the FMM.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by floydo  
Planning on entering on Jan 1, and that is a Sunday. The payment part entering East or West is puzzling. I cannot seem to find any banking hours and will not be staying in San Filepe, but going South....
Any advice on the banking part?
Thanks

This thread is two years old you are asking on. Many newer threads will tell you that you now pay right there where you get the cards, in the INM office. Easy as pie! No more finding a bank open.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 09:26 PM

Thanks
I did a couple searches David, but this was the newest thread that popped up ....didn't want to start a new thread...

Nice solution! The other option was to do the on line purchase, but there is then the pressure to be there the day you say you will be...

Like the peace of the E coast drive and the places.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2016 at 09:54 PM

Yes, nicer down Hwy. 5. Have a great trip.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-16-2016 at 11:26 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.