BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Migration report: the grays are heading your way!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-27-2014 at 01:06 PM
Migration report: the grays are heading your way!

For nomads SOB- Keep your eyes on the horizon: the grays are heading your way!

It's been chilly in San Diego the last few days (for SoCal). But seeing a barnacle-encrusted head of an adult gray whale in the surf, exploring the shallow water in the "soup" just off the beach north of Scripps Institution of Oceanography pier, reminded me why I braved the 40 degree chill this AM to do a hike up the bluffs with my binoculars.

Every time I see their spouts/tails/backs flashing offshore I'm reminded: They are breathtaking critters.. and today, it was so amazing to see one so close to shore, and from an aerial perspective vs. alongside them in a panga...

We watched them swim southwest, away from the bluffs- I hope the kayakers fishing offshore near the La Jolla kelp beds realized & appreciated what they were seeing from just a short distance away.

So get ready Nomads: the grays are heading to the lagoons for another visit!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2014 at 02:53 PM

The locals in Lopez Mateos are saying the whales will be late coming in to this area of the bay this year because the water is still too warm.

So they are not looking for much whale watching for January, but say February should be good.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-27-2014 at 09:40 PM

Warm water is one of the reasons the whales are in the lagoons as the calves dont have any blubber when they are born so I cant imagine what water temps have to do with them arriving late. Mag bay is always later as is San Ignacio. Laguna Ojo de Liebre fills up first with about 2,000 whales...mostly mothers & calves so whale watching is earlier there and end earlier too wheras the lagoons further south get better later in the season.

Word on the whale street is they are a couple weeks or more early this year, most likely due to the extreme cold snap early this winter.The whale count they do at Pt.Vicente had a record number of grays passing this month so they are early.

Whales have to leave the great white north or risk being trapped by ice forming. I spoke to the ejido yesterday at Ojo de Liebre and there are many whales there already and pangas are running.

I am so excited about our first trip out on Jan.6th!!! Look forward to seeing many of you again this season and of course our whale amigos!

[Edited on 12-28-2014 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2014 at 12:12 AM

water temp is about 15 degrees warmer than air temp in San Diego right now!

I wonder how many curious whales will poke their heads into San Diego bay this year. it seems to be happening more often...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2014 at 06:43 AM

Shari.....No sign of any grays yet in the estero at Lopez Mateos or Boca de Soledad. A lot of humpbacks outside. What is your best guess when the grays may get this far south?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2014 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Warm water is one of the reasons the whales are in the lagoons as the calves dont have any blubber when they are born so I cant imagine what water temps have to do with them arriving late. Mag bay is always later as is San Ignacio. Laguna Ojo de Liebre fills up first with about 2,000 whales...mostly mothers & calves so whale watching is earlier there and end earlier too wheras the lagoons further south get better later in the season.

Word on the whale street is they are a couple weeks or more early this year, most likely due to the extreme cold snap early this winter.The whale count they do at Pt.Vicente had a record number of grays passing this month so they are early.

Whales have to leave the great white north or risk being trapped by ice forming. I spoke to the ejido yesterday at Ojo de Liebre and there are many whales there already and pangas are running.

I am so excited about our first trip out on Jan.6th!!! Look forward to seeing many of you again this season and of course our whale amigos!

[Edited on 12-28-2014 by shari]

My understanding about Ojo de Liebre is that there is another major factor for the whales being there. The lagoon is relatively shallow. It does not allow for the Orcas to prey on the young since typically, the orcas need to dive very deep to gain speed to attack. Hence, they often wait outside the lagoon for the young calves that exit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[Edited on 12-29-2014 by Bajahowodd]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 07:00 AM

Bill...as I mentioned Ojo de Liebre fills up first throughout January, followed by the other lagoons...I wonder if they are overflow? There are more whales than usual in GN now. This week we havent seen many migraters passing Asuncion so most whales are stopping at Scammon's and maybe milling around California a bit before heading down to your area. Ask the locals when they usually see the first whales there...should be in the next few weeks.

Orcas would also get the crap slapped out of them by so many adult female Grays protecting their babies!

For anyone traveling around GN, we still have room on our first whale adventures of the season on Jan.7,8 & 9th...I am hoping to see some births and mating!!!

[Edited on 12-29-2014 by shari]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 11:41 AM

We saw lots of southbound whales spouting off Rosarito over the last couple days...

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 02:28 PM

woo hooo...we just saw 2 groups passing by our place too!

richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 02:49 PM

We went out in Ojo de Liebre with the ejido's first boat of the season on saturday(12/27). There were a bunch of big very pregnant moms floating around in the bay but we didn't see any little guys until one mom started thrashing around. After watching her trash on the surface for a while she dove under the surface. I wasn't sure what was happening until she came back up with her new born. After bringing it up to the surface a few times to breathe, she lifted the baby out of the water on her snout and with her head completely out of the water and swam towards us showing off her baby. They then dove and reappeared next to the only other boat out there and again she lifted her baby out of the water for everyone to see.

I am still trying to wrap my head around her behavior and can't really think of any other explanation than she was showing the baby to us.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 02:54 PM

Wow very cool Richard!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 07:32 PM

just saw a report on LA News who said the count is over 300 and a 30 year record for this early. their theory is global warming is melting the ice, allowing the whales to get at more food, get fat sooner and head south.

I guess that's one guess! :?:

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 09:55 PM
proud mama?

amazing... what a great story! they are so interesting/curious to observe, full of surprises... thanks for sharing a new one! (young whales definitely spend a lot of time on mom's back)

Quote: Originally posted by richard nauman  
We went out in Ojo de Liebre with the ejido's first boat of the season on saturday(12/27). There were a bunch of big very pregnant moms floating around in the bay but we didn't see any little guys until one mom started thrashing around. After watching her trash on the surface for a while she dove under the surface. I wasn't sure what was happening until she came back up with her new born. After bringing it up to the surface a few times to breathe, she lifted the baby out of the water on her snout and with her head completely out of the water and swam towards us showing off her baby. They then dove and reappeared next to the only other boat out there and again she lifted her baby out of the water for everyone to see.

I am still trying to wrap my head around her behavior and can't really think of any other explanation than she was showing the baby to us.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 01:47 PM

Oh Richard...THAT's what I was talking about that early January is a very special time. I understand that a live birth has never been recorded...did you happen to get it on film? Very few people have had the honour of witnessing a gray whale birth...embrace it!!!! I cant wait for next week!

richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 02:59 PM

Shari,

It was exactly like you described before we headed north. Unfortunately, although we all had cameras I don't think we got any good photos and definitely no video. The whole thing was so overwhelming that even though I had my camera in my hand I forgot to take pictures. I've worked most of my life as a wildlife biologist and have had the opportunity to see a lot of amazing things but this was really off the charts.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.