Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Caravan south for Whale watch/Rock art trip, March 28- April 4
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 11:54 AM
Caravan south for Whale watch/Rock art trip, March 28- April 4

I'm getting a group together to travel south during Semana Santa (March 28-April 4) for whale watching (Scammons and/or San Ignacio, depending on whales) and rock art viewing (using Kuyima tour group out of San Ignacio).

Some will camp, some may prefer hotels- it's a work in progress.

I'm in San Diego, and wanted to invite others to caravan with us. If you have that week free and want to join with others for the trip south- please let me know!

Shared knowledge makes these trips more fun, and is a chance to explore new places.

Please let me know if you are interested and I will share details.

Whale-ista

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 11:07 AM

What a good idea to get a group together....challenging but very fun in the end.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 11:28 AM
caravan

Good morning Blanca

Yes, I've done this trip many times and I enjoy sharing it with others Who haven't seen the whales or other parts of Baja before. It helps me appreciate Baja more when I introduce others to these places.

My sister from Flagstaff is very excited and is recruiting other friends to join her from Arizona. And I have friends in San Diego who are also excited about seeing whales and rock art.

(If we do go to San Ignacio shall I leave school items at the Yurts with jerry?)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
SpumoneHi

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 06:45 PM

I would love to hear more of your plans. I am heading that way around about the same time frame and would enjoy crossing the border with others. I have a camper van and a dog with me.

Lynn
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 11:16 PM

Great! I'll be taking my dog also.

Please check your U2U message for details.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2015 at 11:27 PM

We're headed down the 20th or 21st for two weeks. Good chance our paths might cross. Maybe we can connect as the dates get closer. We will definitely visit the whales and spend some time at our place in BA. We're contemplating heading up to Sierra de San Francisco as well. Quien sabes?

zac

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Great! I'll be taking my dog also.

What do you do with your dog while you are the mule excursion?
Thanks,
P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 08:03 AM

I hope this is the year a small group of amigos from Asuncion get it together to experience this place as well...after whale season, around the last week of March. We have wanted to do it for years and really hope we can pull it off.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 08:46 AM

We may be headed down to San Ignacio toward the end of March and do wonder what you do with your dog for the mule trip?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 08:50 AM

I think we will just be doing a day trip to see the rock art, using a van, not mules. I may drive my truck and follow them and leave the dog inside the camper.

It's still a work in progress..

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 09:01 AM

I think we will just be doing a day trip to see the rock art, using a van, not mules. I may drive my truck and follow them and leave the dog inside the camper.

Thanks ---we have no problem out at the San Ignacio Lagoon with leaving him in the vehicle with the wind, covers, etc., and a few years back, Kuyima was building dog cages --- not sure if they are still doing so.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 09:06 AM

Because I live in San Felipe, I am thinking of going to Guerro Negro. Have you been there to whale watch? Curious of your opinion

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Because I live in San Felipe, I am thinking of going to Guerro Negro. Have you been there to whale watch? Curious of your opinion

We have been to Guerrero Negro (Ojo de Liebre) a few times but now only go to San Ignacio. But that is because we had a very negative experience with a couple of the boat operators at Ojo de Liebre.

Then again, before we had good experiences there as do other people. But now we just prefer everything about San Ignacio.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 11:19 AM
dog kennels/options at lagoons

I misunderstood the question- I thought it was re rock art trip, not whale watching.

At Kuyima lagoon campground and cabins they do have small kennels/cages for dogs. However, my dog is not "kennel trained" so I haven't used them- I think she would cry/bark etc. for attention. So I just use my truck camper for that purpose.

The poodle is happiest with me (but obviously not possible on the water), happier hanging out in a place with people who "dog sit" her (thanks Shari and Sirena for letting her stay at your palapa last year!), and least happy left alone in the camper. But she's safe and secure so that's what I have done.

It is rarely too warm this time of year to leave her inside, with the windows/roof vent open, water/food etc.

In past years, when I had a large black lab (65 lbs) , I would leave her in camp to wander freely. She tried swimming after the panga a few times, as we left camp, so we would leash her, then the camp staff would let her go once we were out of sight.

But my current pup is smaller (20 lbs top) and there are too many coyotes around for that. (She can swim when needed, but doesn't enjoy it like the lab)

Hope that addressed your question!

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Thanks ---we have no problem out at the San Ignacio Lagoon with leaving him in the vehicle with the wind, covers, etc., and a few years back, Kuyima was building dog cages --- not sure if they are still doing so.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 11:22 AM

Yes, our dogs were always happier in their vehicle, but it is good to know the cages are still there for others who may want to use them.

My question was about the Mule rides and you answered that -- thanks
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2015 at 11:46 AM
GN vs San Ignacio

I've been to all three lagoons, starting 30 years ago (San Ignaciio, Magdalena, Scammons/GN)

Here is a lengthy pros/cons GN vs. San Ignacio (Kuyima, Campo Cortez) for you and others who may be considering this trip:

All have great friendly whales that enjoy interacting with people!

However, you need to consider how long you want to stay, how much Information you want from guides on boat, what you are willing to spend (a la carte vs all inclusive package?), do you plan to drive a car, or camp, vs. cabin/hotel? Do you like to prep camp food vs. purchase at restaurant?

San Ignacio used to be long, rough drive, more remote/difficult to get to, tho thats changing as pavement is now most of way (maybe all?) to lagoon.

GN is off hwy a few miles, easier for day trips w/standard car, stay at hotel vs camp.

Ojo de liebre is very basic, set up more for day trips vs campers. Nice interpretive center/lodge with basic food.

Campo Cortez is good for "package" all inclusive stays & tours: cabins, all meals, trips, nice facilities.

Kuyima campground at San Ignacio offers better camping facilities (bathrooms, showers) plus a nice a la carte dining hall, vs 1 bathroom, Snack bar/small restaurant at GN

You can see/hear whales easily from shore at lodge and campsites Liebre, where they are right off the beach at times.

Not so much at Kuyima where they are usually a distance away, in western area of lagoon.

A bit easier to see/hear from Campo Cortez which is closer to main lagoon, also shorter boat trip to see whales.

It's less $$ at Liebre ($5 entry fee vs. $10/night to camp @Kuyima)

All have charged $45/trip in past years, 2-3 hours on the water.

Kuyima and Campo Cortez offer english speaking guides w/good interpretation skills.

Liebre captains/crew mostly speak spanish, offer little if any interpretation/naturalist Information on the trips I've taken with them.

Hope that helps!

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 12:38 PM

very good analysis Lori...just to add a tiny bit, the restaurant at Ojo de LIebre campground is open from 8-8 now with a pretty good menu and it also has showers and bathrooms...outhouses by the palapas are a bit ummm...rustic? Something I like is being able to drive into town in less than a half hour and there are more hotel accommodation choices in Gn too.

This year we are trying something new at the ejido and offering naturalist guided trips once or maybe twice a day if there are people wanting that for $5 extra so you can learn about the whales and the area if you so desire. We will also be organizing evening movie nights at the Center with some whale talk too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2015 at 04:28 PM

Thanks for the update Shari- good to know more bathrooms/showers are available at OJo de Liebre, and that the restaurant is operating. And naturalist talks are a great idea! So many visitors come down with little Information about the whales.

I love the lodge/interpretive center view of the lagoon at that location. the ejido has done a nice job compared to when I first visited 30 years ago.

And while San Ignacio is nice, most places there can't compete with the proximity to see/hear whales (unless you pay the BIG $$$ to stay in a private, all inclusive fly-in camp located on the shore)

So, for those of us on a smaller budget who drive down- it's really great to hear that the ejido is investing in improvements to make their place more comfortable for day trippers and campers alike!

Again, thank you for updating.

Lori

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
very good analysis Lori...just to add a tiny bit, the restaurant at Ojo de LIebre campground is open from 8-8 now with a pretty good menu and it also has showers and bathrooms...outhouses by the palapas are a bit ummm...rustic? Something I like is being able to drive into town in less than a half hour and there are more hotel accommodation choices in Gn too.

This year we are trying something new at the ejido and offering naturalist guided trips once or maybe twice a day if there are people wanting that for $5 extra so you can learn about the whales and the area if you so desire. We will also be organizing evening movie nights at the Center with some whale talk too.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.