Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: memorable Ojo de Liebre outing
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
there are limits on the number of boats in each viewing area... but I have never heard that San Ignacio only has one boat at a time...that has not been my experience there.

One boat???? Using my phone where typo errors are common, but I don't think I said one boat---just limited as to how many. On edit I read it and while I made a bad grammar error, there was no mention of just 1 boat.

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by DianaT]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:27 PM

A few notes re:boat times, boat etiquette, and differences between lagoons: During busy season (Feb-March) there have been observers in San Ignacio who monitor the time of boat tours.

Not sure if his is still done, but it used to be: The clock starts when they enter the main lagoon, near Baja Discovery camp. The boats are limited to 90 minutes per trip, to ensure no one over stays their time and keeps others from enjoying whales, and ensures not too many boats are around them. (it may take 15-30 minutes to get from camp to lagoon, depending on conditions, tides, starting point, wind etc., so each trip takes 2-3 hours)

In past years the guides have also designated responsibility for a shared "rescue" boat with emergency medical services, towing if there's a mishap, and even extra gas in case someone runs low (has never happened in my decades of trips).

On one trip I took a few years ago, an older visitor had forgotten her prescription medication. They radioed the camp (Kuyima), located the meds, and delivered them to the boat. What service!

Very conscientious to make sure people are comfortable and safe- and the whales are too.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:28 PM

sorry....I have had a very long 2 days at a funeral and an in GN about to go whale watching tomorrow and I simply misread your post.

There are limits in all the viewing areas but what I am getting at is that if there are fewer boats...instead of 3 boats around a whale each with 2 people in them... one boat with 6 people means less pressure on the animals. It can also make a better viewing experience for the passengers as it is so nice to be the only boat out there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 05:52 PM

My understanding is that at Ojo de Liebre. only six pangas are allowed out into the lagoon at any one time. It was not always like that.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 09:34 AM

actually there are 3 different viewing areas that have different limits on how many boats. For example at the mouth there are more boats as there are3 different tour companies that go there, Malarrimo, Marios Tours and Laguna tours and each have permits for several boats...I am not exactly sure how many. They are the tours that take you out in a van to the port.... In the middle of the lagoon there is campo Mariscal that I believe have 3 boats..they are a newer company and the ejido has 4-5 boats available...only 3 running right now.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
actually there are 3 different viewing areas that have different limits on how many boats. For example at the mouth there are more boats as there are3 different tour companies that go there, Malarrimo, Marios Tours and Laguna tours and each have permits for several boats...I am not exactly sure how many. They are the tours that take you out in a van to the port.... In the middle of the lagoon there is campo Mariscal that I believe have 3 boats..they are a newer company and the ejido has 4-5 boats available...only 3 running right now.

Got it. I was specifically writing about the nature center at the inner lagoon from where you embark.

I imagine that depending on the time of month in the season, there is varying success among all those who go out there.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 10:10 PM

We will definitely go again next year. Great pics, Shari! There has been too much fun in the sun to be had and too many fish to be caught to be inside editing videos, so I may not get to the 2+hrs of whale footage for awhile yet, but I pulled a couple of screencaps of some of the exciting moments (I believe that top one is Whale-ista working her magic and calling the whales in, no?). Thanks again for the awesome trip, Shari, and it was great to meet you Whale-ista! So glad you could come and see Asuncion and have the Saturday shrimp taco experience.

whale3.jpg - 129kB

whale2a.jpg - 117kB
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 10:48 PM
Whale whisperer

Ha! thanks for the photos Toronja!

I did my best to flatter, flirt and invite them over for a closer look. Clearly, they were in swim mode vs. play with humans mode. Still- It was an amazing day for all of us, seeing so many hops and leaps and twists and turns.

Thank you for posting. I don't often have others take photos, so I really appreciate seeing myself in a picture for a change!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2020 at 05:05 PM
UPDATE: here are those photos I promised long ago

This was a remarkable day on the water with Shari in early 2015.

A huge "herd" of moms were swimming against the incoming tide, with stops to allow for resting and a few babies leaping.... it was really a lovely morning with lots of interesting behaviors.

In my 30+ years of visiting the whales in the various lagoons, this is still one of my favorite & most memorable outings.

Kissing is optional

These underwater shots are from another trip- but thought I'd add them since you don't see this perspective very often.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 04:46 PM
Getting ready for whales- 2021

Going to "BUMP" this post since it includes some good Information about whale watching: limits on boats in the lagoon, approximate time on the water, etc. -and the new season is fast approaching!

Thanks again to those who posted photos and comments from their outing that day.

Also, an update/reminder: Shari is still offering the same quality experience of guiding and photography (example: capturing this wonderful photo memory)- but her camp is at a different location on the lagoon.

Looking forward to seeing people who are able to migrate south later this year/early 2021.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 06:09 PM

I wonder if kissing the whales will be banned this season to stop the spread of Covid-19 to our cousins in the sea? LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 10:27 PM

Ha! Well, it's been a good run for the last 35 or so years.

And if the whales want to practice social distancing and avoid us humans... I don't blame them one bit.

http://bit.ly/QuittingSeaWorld

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I wonder if kissing the whales will be banned this season to stop the spread of Covid-19 to our cousins in the sea? LOL

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 09:33 AM

It will be interesting to see how the 2021 season goes. Of course we will be Covid compliant with precautions and will give full refunds if things are completely shutdown....finger crossed you will be able to play with whales.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.