Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amazing Bimbo Buns!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 09:16 PM
Amazing Bimbo Buns!

No, not that kind of bimbo, or buns! I am talking about those durable sesame seed Bimbollos Extragrandes that I use for my sandwich preparation when my kitchen is an ice chest and storage tote in a small SUV.
Yesterday, I came across the last of the buns I bought in La Paz in mid-November for my trip north. It was still in it's original packaging and had been stored at room (or car) temperature, and I won't lie, it was pretty stale but not moldy! I decided to go ahead and use it up so I can go back and get more, the recipe follows;

One three month old Bimbo Bun
I/2 pack of 4000 mile road trip corned beef (vacume packed no refrig needed)
Hand full of shredded pepper-jack cheese (obtained locally last month)
Creamy horseradish sauce
Dijon mustard sauce

Spread the mustard and horseradish on the buns. Pile the meat and cheese on the buns. Microwave for one minute until the cheese melts and the bun turns soft. Enjoy!

I know, I know....with mad culinary skills like this, it is amazing that I still dine alone!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Janzie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:13 PM

Hmmm. Gotta wonder what marvellous stuff kept those miracle muffins fresh, or sort of.... Keep eating that stuff and you might be preserved as well :D
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 05:35 PM

When we discovered that Bimbo Bread never molds, never goes bad, that was the last time we ate it. :-)

Same is true for Skippy Peanut butter

Now the rest of the recipe sounds really great!
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 03:44 PM

Bimbo Multigrano bread is the best.

A lot of foods made in Mexico seem to last a little longer than the similar stuff in the states. Whole milk, for example.

Not worried about how they do it, maybe I should be, though. I think many people over react. It seems when some people know a little bit about science, they over do it. I see it all the time. Michael Jackson and his kids wearing masks and others. Humans are designed to withstand normal levels of germs; that is the way we are all designed. To go antiseptic is not logical. Yes, there are germs, but it takes certain quantities and certain exposure, and certain durations for germs to over take your normal immune systems.

It seems that people erroneously look at germs in a qualitative sense in that "if there are ANY germs at all present", their erred presumption is that the worst case scenario has a sufficiently high probability of serious illness, almost certain. NOT the case in real life, probability of serious illness is the exception, not the rule.

You have to have some realistic perspective based on a "quantitative sense" in that it takes a lot of germs (not just any small amount) out side the norm to cause problems. Your human body is designed to work that way and to fend off normal life experience and encounters with common germs, or we would all have perished a long time ago.

If you travel and if you are observant, most people do not live as antiseptically as we Americans in upper middle class suburbia and they get along just fine.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 03:50 PM

uh...is Jif okay?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 04:01 PM

Germs have nothing to do with it --- way too many artificial preservatives. Shoot, many of the handmade tortillas we buy are certainly not germ proof, but they sure will spoil after a few days which is the natural thing for them to do --- unlike Bimbo. So we stick to tortillas. Outdoor taco stands may not be the most germ free place to eat, but the products are fresh and not "enhanced" by artificial preservatives.

A healthy amount of germs builds a good immune system. Artificial preservatives have not tested well in animals.

Jif? I don't know --- only had Skippy for two years in a hot garage as it was being used for rodent bait and it never spoiled. We stick to the natural peanut butter.

Milk? We always had milk go sour quicker in Mexico, but the coolers in the stores were not as cold as they could be.

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by DianaT]
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
When we discovered that Bimbo Bread never molds, never goes bad, that was the last time we ate it. :-)

Same is true for Skippy Peanut butter

Now the rest of the recipe sounds really great!

My theory is that if fresh fruit and vegetables make a person healthy, food packed with preservatives will give me many years of shelf life. :?: :light: :(

In other words, if the chemicals in Bimbo keeps my buns looking good, the stuff in Skippy will keep my...

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by bajalearner]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 06:11 PM

Picture of bimbo buns please!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 06:20 PM

Grupo Bimbo. I'll always remember my chuckle when I first saw a truck labeled Bimbo decades ago. But today, they are an international powerhouse owning US brands such as Arnold, Entenmanns, Orowheat.Sara Lee, and Thomas's English muffins, among others.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by Bajahowodd]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 07:15 PM

Just this year Grupo Bimbo bought Hostess in the US! The fate of Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes is in their hands.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Picture of bimbo buns please!
:?:

Bob Durrell
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:27 AM

When the buns are that fresh, I would probably change the recipe!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:35 PM

:lol: I can't believe thats still up there!

short rant. if groupo bimbo owns thomas' english muffins, why in the heck don't they sell em here???:?:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
:lol: I can't believe thats still up there!

short rant. if groupo bimbo owns thomas' english muffins, why in the heck don't they sell em here???:?:

Costco Ensenada has them

Bob Durrell
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 07:30 PM

Nice!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 08:38 PM

I have noticed in the past year that both Bimbo white and Integral molds about as fast as bread in the states at room temperature. Integral does include monocalcium phosphate, calcium propitionate, and mono and di glycerides if I've translated that correctly.

Leche Caracol was not delivered here for weeks after a period when WAY too many bottles were sour when you got them home. Now it is back, and the first bottle I bought now has a "sell by" date 20 days in the future!!! I was learning to like "box milk" until I learned how much salt they were adding to it. :?:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:53 PM
No Brian Williams here!

Vbundo, The buns were really purchased in La Paz in mid November, and survived for three months with no refrigeration or humidity control, and no mold.
As an exercise in investigative journalism, I felt obligated to consume the recently found morsel and report my findings to this forum.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:09 AM

Oh I believe every word you said! I have posted images on this forum of six month old Bimbo I found in my camper which looked good enough to eat. I have found two mini loafs lately that turned green before I could finish them. Just sayin' Peace...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.