Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Solar systems and RF noise
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
This company makes good portable AM/FM radios if anyone is interested.

https://www.ccrane.com/

Factory car radios are usually good performers too.

I'm ready for a new AM/FM portable radio, anybody have any suggestions?

See if you can find a used Sony ICF-2010. One of the longest production runs of any general purpose radio in the history of radio. I own one and love it. It will also pull in the aircraft band, as well as a lot of shortwave bands, including SSB broadcasts. This can be very useful when in remote locations in Baja as there are daily weather broadcasts for boaters.

I also own a Sangean ATS-803 that I picked up at a garage sale down here a few years ago. It was sold to me for 50 pesos because it "wasnt working". I figured out that the owner did not realize that there is a secondary power switch that must be turned on to activate the primary power switch. Anyway, it pulls in the same bands as the 2010, including AM and FM, of course.

I have heard good things about the Sony ICF-SW7600GR radio.

Sony radio

Here is a bit of a bible on general coverage receivers. Many are no longer in production, though. CCranes are covered, not that favorably.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

It's good to hear that some people are still interested in radio, instead of smart phones and Ipods and streaming TV. Most of those require full attention and/or interactivity. I still like the "background to your life" aspect of radio.

It's getting hard to find decent portable radios, these days. Manufacturers are discontinuing them as interest drops, in favor of these other devices that do so much more.

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by Hook]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 09:03 PM
Rf noise and radio

you might try installing a "choke" at the power source to the radio.....and for radios CCrane is a bit on the over price side for what they offer IMO,,,Grundig and Kenwoods are to very respected radio's and if you find a ICOM with those AM freq's grabit..also a LoooooooNG single wire works well (AM) and also find the RF noise by going around and turning off all electrical units and then turn on one at a time to find the RF noise and sometimes its outside your house that you cant control...from a ham and that's not a sandwich...LOL coast to coast rocks the early hrs !!! K&T

[Edited on 3-2-2015 by captkw]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 07:22 AM

I use a Kenwood KLF-2 Noise filter.
In a vehicle we have alternator noise and the unit results in an improvement.
However SiriusXM is a much better solution provided you like the programming and the modest extra cost. No noise noticed before the KLF-2 unit.
Paul
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.