Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Current Off Pavement Route Conditions
Wandering by Bicycle

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 12:47 PM
Current Off Pavement Route Conditions

Hi all,
I just came across this forum and wish I had found it prior to heading to Baja. Anyway, my partner and I just finished a couple of month trip on the peninsula traveling as many of the off-pavement routes as we could reasonably connect. Everyone has a different opinion of "passable" and after the hurricane last year it was hard to find current route condition. I've been writing about the routes we took and there current conditions on my site and if anyone is interested, the links are below.

Off The Beaten Track in Baja - Part 1
Off The Beaten Track in Baja - Part 2

In a few weeks I'll post the final part.

- Safe Travels
wanderingbybicycle.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 01:05 PM

WOW! I can't wait to read your two blogs... as soon as we get back from breakfast! Thanks and welcome to Nomad! What kind of Toyota is that, a Prada?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Wandering by Bicycle

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 01:16 PM

Hi David,
I just checked your site and it looks like a treasure trove of information; I can't wait to read further. The Toyota is a 2000 Land Cruiser HZJ78 diesel with a pop-up roof and camper conversion. Unfortunately, they were never imported into North America.

- Safe Travels
wanderingbybicycle.com
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 01:31 PM
Welcome to the forum

Glad to read about your road (trail) choices! Good to know that I can reach San Evaristo from Mex 1 again, it was a no-go in November.
Also good to confirm that the boulders on the pass east of Los Planes have been moved. It was in a different location than the photo you posted, with a steep cut bank on the uphill side, and nothing but air on the downhill side. They are where you would have taken that photo if they were still there.
I look forward to finishing the links you have already provided, and look forward to the next one.

A final thought; Claudia had to talk you into that trek??? Where do I find a woman like that?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 05:19 PM

Very cool & informative postings. Lovely photos.

Thanks for your travel log!

Did you ever find the Almanac? (some stores sell them in Mulege, La Paz etc. for those looking for future trips- they could possible be shipped north or transported via Nomad)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 08:32 PM

Excellent trip report and beautiful pictures, thanks. Waiting for #3.
boagey

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 09:26 PM

What a great read and pictures to fill the senses. Looking to fill my senses in the future. :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wandering by Bicycle  
Hi all,
I just came across this forum and wish I had found it prior to heading to Baja. Anyway, my partner and I just finished a couple of month trip on the peninsula traveling as many of the off-pavement routes as we could reasonably connect. Everyone has a different opinion of "passable" and after the hurricane last year it was hard to find current route condition. I've been writing about the routes we took and there current conditions on my site and if anyone is interested, the links are below.

Off The Beaten Track in Baja - Part 1
Off The Beaten Track in Baja - Part 2

In a few weeks I'll post the final part.

Thank you and looking forward to Part 3. That video of the whoops section on the Baja 1000 course is real typical of sandy roads after lots of traffic (same thing with washboard effect on graded roads). Can you imaging driving that whoops road at 120 kph instead of 15? The suspension of the race cars are made to allow that... the tires go up and down but the body stays level... lots of wheel travel!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2015 at 11:46 AM

Welcome to this forum, John. Your prose is a delight to read and your photos excellent complements to the narrative. I look forward to following along vicariously.

...and your traveling rig will be the envy of many of us.

Safe travels.

Allen R.
Wandering by Bicycle

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 04:45 PM

Thank you for the positive reception. We never did find the Almanac, but we're back in the States now and hunting for good maps of Mainland Mexico. The National Geographic maps for Baja worked well and covered the described routes, but the Baja Almanac definitely has a lot more routes and information.

- Safe Travels
wanderingbybicycle.com
spencertron

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 11:57 AM

what an awesome trip! I sure wish we had the 70 series in he US.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.