Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: "Tablas" as a Writing System in Prehistoric Baja California
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Perhaps you are trying to attach too much meaning to things that are just doodles, eh?

That's exactly what I thought before I read Martineau's book. I always laughed when I saw people try to assign meaning to panels that I thought were probably just a result of someone just scribbling when they were bored.

There are reasons to believe that they are not simply doodles:

* The "doodles" are commonly similar to each other within, and often between, cultural areas.

* The "doodles" are often created in very hard-to-reach spots when those spots would preserve the "doodles" better.

* The "doodles" are almost never scratched into the surface, they are pecked, which is a very slow and difficult process by comparison, but it also produces more detailed and precise results and it stands the test of time much better.

* In one instance during my Valley of Fire trip I came across some small symbols that I immediately recognized from Martineau's book. It was what Martineau called a "locator", meaning it was a small piece of writing intentionally placed along a path to guide someone to something that was not obvious nearby.

I was with my brother and my sister-in-law at the time and I told them that we would find something interesting by following the directions of the "locator" around the left side of the large rock formation we were facing, then up in a high spot that required climbing up-and-to-the-right to get to.

We followed the directions and there it was. A large, beautifully-preserved panel that was pecked into a surface that was much more suitable than the spot where the "locator" was pecked. The author had chosen the best place to write, but knowing that nobody would know it was there, they had gone down to a more accessible spot where people were likely to notice it and pecked the locator there.

By following Martineau's interpretations of locator symbols I was able to read that locator and find the panel.

If you have time and can get a copy I would recommend that you read the book and try it out a little. It's eye-opening and it's a lot of fun.
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2015 at 10:08 AM

For those intersted in this subject,we have a speaker and presentation herein Todos Santos on February 12 2016 @ 5:30 PM -Todos Santos Cultural Center. Seating is limited so highly recommend advanced ticket purchase. Come join us!!

"Indigenous Rock Art of The Baja Cape Region"
Presenter: Anibal Lopez, Professional Photographer and Naturalist
Indigenous tribes of southern Baja are now extinct, yet they left evidence of their presence through artifacts and rock art. Anibal Lopez has been documenting through photography and video the expansive collection of over 200 archaeological sites throughout the Cape Region of Baja. He’s the author of Reminder of a Forgotten Past. For six years, Anibal recruited the help of several rancheros having lived for generations in the Sierra mountain ranges of Laguna, Cacachiles, Trinidad and Novillo. The paintings are associated with the Guaycura and Pericue tribes, extinguished by the arrival of the Jesuits and Franciscans long ago. Vandalism, gold mining projects and looting threaten these ancient archaeological sites. Anibal aims to raise awareness with the Mexican communities living in proximity and with the foreign communities in hopes of preserving these sites forever. Explore with Anibal over 5000 years of indigenous art scattered on granite rock faces. http://www.profaunabaja.org/archeology.html

Donation of $100 pesos ($120 at the door) will go towards supporting the presenters’ missions. Seating is limited. Doors open at 5:00 and presentation will start at 5:30 sharp. Advance tickets available at El Tecolote Bookstore in Todos Santos.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.