Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Squeaky Clean!
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2003 at 12:38 PM
Squeaky Clean!

I took a drive down the Malecon in La Paz this morning. There was absolutely no sign that a hurricane had passed through there less than a week ago. The grounded boats had been removed, no trash from trees, nada! Incidentally La Paz has done a fabulous job of upgrading the waterfront to a very park-like setting. My congratulations to the Municipio.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-31-2003 at 05:38 PM

It does look nice. As you might have heard before they started renovating the Malecon, the neigh sayers were saying it was a waste of money cause the first good hurricane would come through and wash away the man-made beach they put in between the two piers. So far, so good, though. And it will be really nice when they finish the plaza at the kiosk.

Did you notice how many buildings they tore down? I noticed that the buildings in the plaza were gone the first day I saw it. But it took me weeks to realize that the restaurant familiar and another restaurant right on the beach were gone where the Seagull statue (that my kids think looks like a chicken), now resides, next to the plaza.

I recently heard that President Fox left them a check for a million bucks to continue on with the good work and do repairs. - Stephanie
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 9-1-2003 at 02:23 PM
seagull sculpture

That seagull - makes me smile. We were there when the statue arrived wrapped in thick foam and cardboard secured with rope. For days folks walked around the mysterious wrapped sculpture talking of what it might be. Many votes were for a Quixote-like man on burro from local legend. Later the day of the unveiling people walked round and round it, many looking a bit quizzical, softly talking among themselves. Some did not believe it was a seagull until reading the little plaque, then they'd walk around a couple of more times getting a feel for the thing, finally nodding and murmurring their approval. I, too, think it looks like a chicken.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.