Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Handheld Marine Band Radios
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:02 PM
Hola

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
I have 2 icoms. The oldest one is 25 years. ......If your radio is a Icom M5 your in the club !! that radio can be "opened" very easy to do and the bandwidth is very wide..u2u me for details
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:09 PM

i had a conversation with a company that makes radios once when I was buying one for my old boat...

they said never coil the cable...
cut and solder it to the correct distance
...do a professional install every time...

make sure a professional solders it...
an amateur will never get the quality of a factory solder

the real reason people coil the extra wire is because its easy
and most of us are lazy

coiling works but it shows sloppy work

as for brands...the guts are all the same these days...
probably the parts inside made in the same Chinese factory

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:14 PM
LOL,,,,LOL

YA right bob...LOL :lol:
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:16 PM

I Have two cobras VHF Radios and both have GMRS radio frequency.Never had a problem .We are part timers in Baja and when we come back after 4 or 5 monthgs there still 100% charged. Great batteries compared to the Uniden I have and they come wit a double A back up and are water proof. My next chice would bve ICOM
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 08:28 PM
Bobism

ck/out shakespeare PL 259-CP and PL258-CP...myself have not had good luck with them and still solder my TX coax connecters and spray with "Deoxit" and wrap for solid install...PL-259 and 12V pwr connects are one of the biggest radio fails on smaller vessel....K&T
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-28-2015 at 11:18 PM

Here's a simple fact from first post; IF you wish to pick up Geary's morning weather blog, you have to be close / line-of-site to El Burro to get any signal at all with the mountains and islands in the immediate vicinity. I spent years 8 miles south of there, and even with an 8' whip to a base unit was iffy..... some days yes, some days, no, and that was mounted on a 16' 2x4 against my palapa. Out on the water I had a hand-held that also was compatible with terrain; have picked up from Santispac to just south of Requeson, depending on conditions of weather, etc., and of course, geological obstacles.

If you want the daily conditions, get a base-radio (as in, an in-boat radio in your home) with a BIG mast antenna; that's the key for picking up distances. Hand-helds are wonderful for getting the Better Half ready for filleting the catch on your way in.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 06:23 PM

Bob, whatever you smoke, I like it :)

Icom is 100% made in Japan, there are no Chinese guts in there.
And, what "coiled cable" - I thought we were talking about handhelds?

The last post by Bajabudha is spot-on. Reception range of VHF handhelds is not that great, pretty much line of sight only. Listening to weather reports when you're tucked in some cove ashore can be problematic.
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:12 PM
VHFs Waterproof, Sonrisa net Wx

If you are using a VHF close to the water, as in kayaks, even the "waterproof" ones can fail at a bad time after a dunking. A good waterproof case is cheap insurance.
The Cobra with GMRS can be useful with smaller handheld GMRS units for communication where cell phones won't work.
It is a good idea to check the VHF channels used by Mexican Navy, Port Captains, Aduana etc before choosing a channel to use:
http://www.clubcruceros.net/CruisingBaja/Radios.html

Now that local fishermen have mostly four-strokes and 12v batteries, they have started using more marine VHF sets. This can be useful if someone needs to call for help. However, many do not stick to using channel 16 for hailing another station, and then quickly changing to another channel, creating overuse of 16.

The Sonrisanet.org broadcast weather that Geary does can be picked up online a bit later or heard live on SSB with a small Single-Side Band capable receiver (not VHF) over most of Baja. His site has links to Sonrisa and other long-range radio nets. You can hear the more astute cruisers checking into nets with with wind and barometer observations up and down the peninsula.
Geary does a volunteer service with his weather. He has been very helpful to us on long sea kayak trips. Previously, Don Anderson (R.I.P.) did this duty, communicating with mariners all over the Pacific.
BTW Geary has started accepting donations to help fund his work- see link on his site. sonrisanet.org

Thanks,
Jay

Thanks,
Jay
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.