Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some notes on our recent day in wine country
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 08:49 AM
Some notes on our recent day in wine country

We spent the afternoon in Guadalupe Valley and visited two new places for us, El Cielo and El Mogor (where Deckman's is located).
We turned into El Cielo as it was a new building that we didn't recognize. Wow, very upscale and just a teeny bit snooty. Developed by a group who is big in the Yucatan hotel business and it really shows. Included in the wine tasting fee is a guided tour and then tasting 4 wines, pared with a cheese or chocolate and includes a short lecture on the wine. Like I said, a little snooty but clearly designed to attract the upscale-wine tourist crowd. We prefer the Sol Y Barro/Tres Mujeres experience where shorts and flip flops are OK. The wines are very young, having only been producing for a few years. They will give Nubes a run for their money.

We had wanted to eat that evening at Deckman-s but they had a private party but at 4:00pm as we drove by we thought we would at least go by El Mogor to taste and visit the winery. We drove past deckman-s to the winery, parked and walked to where there was large crowd and lots of wine being poured and sat out on a big table. SWMBO and I sat under a huge pepper tree and I walked up and someone put two glasses in my hand. Hmmm, but not complaining and took back to our bench and we spent the next hour under the giant pepper tree enjoying the view, the breeze and the roosters. I slipped the waiter 50 pesos and he kept the wine flowing. Next trip down we will go back to El Mogor to see if this was how they do it or did we really crash a private party.

Saturday morning we stopped off at Santo Tomas for the first time. I can not believe it took us so long to visit. Their 2012 Tempranillo was the best of the 4 wines we tasted. They have a rose of Barbera that we did not taste but bought a bottle as this is in our wheelhouse. If you go, get some of their olive loaf bread to go along with the tasting - don't forget to taste some of their olive oils as well.

[Edited on 3-29-2015 by Santiago]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
We spent the afternoon in Guadalupe Valley and visited two new places for us, Cielo and El Mogor (where Deckman's is located).
We turned into Cielo as it was a new building that we didn't recognize. Wow, very upscale and just a teeny bit snooty. Developed by a group who is big in the Yucatan hotel business and it really shows. Included in the wine tasting fee is a guided tour and then tasting 4 wines, pared with a cheese or chocolate and includes a short lecture on the wine. Like I said, a little snooty but clearly designed to attract the upscale-wine tourist crowd. We prefer the Sol Y Barro/Tres Mujeres experience where shorts and flip flops are OK. The wines are very young, having only been producing for a few years. They will give Nubes a run for their money.

Popularity and big business development ruined Guadalupe valley. Hope you all enjoyed it 10 or 15 years ago...

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2015 at 10:42 AM

Nice crash Santiago. :biggrin: Last summer we stopped at Mogor-Badan to see what was new and left the area 3 hours later after a very relaxing time under the trees tasting and some REALLY good food at Deckman's.

Things change. If one is open they can still find enjoyment, its all about perspective and choosing to not be a grumpy old fart and instead roll with the flow. :saint:

Mogor-Badan for instance is still run by the daughter of the family who built the ranch into what it is today. No big business at the end of that dirt driveway just folks committed to sustainable practices and living off the land. Open your mind and check it out, or not. :P

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.