Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Police Checkpoints Baja Sur
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 08:35 AM
Police Checkpoints Baja Sur

Been driving around southern Baja over the past couple weeks Loreto to Cabo and back. There are a few Municipal Police Checkpoints along the way. One was asking about booze and warning me the road is very dangerous, another looking over the inside of my car and then told me to turn on my headlights.

It seems to me they are DUI checkpoints of sorts.

I don't drink on Hwy 1 so I'm in the clear but just giving out a heads up.

[Edited on 4-10-2015 by TLBaja79]
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TLBaja79  
Been driving around southern Baja over the past couple weeks Loreto to Cabo and back. There are a few Municipal Police Checkpoints along the way. One was asking about booze and warning me the road is very dangerous, another looking over the inside of my car and then told me to turn on my headlights.

In Mexico Semana Santa (Easter) specially this weekend (Viernes Santo -Good Friday-) stands for the highest traffic accidents on the highways: people trying to get there or out of there, drinking or just in party mode, tired or with a hanghover... so the authorities of all levels get involved to help keep roads safer, you can see them all over the place even out in the middle of nowhere you can find check points and rescue stations... just trying to help... If possible and if you do not have to be on the road during this holiday: DONT! it's extremely dangerous!!! Stay safe, stay home... let the crowd blow off steam and watch everything go back to normal after next week... gooood everyone back home... those who made it!!!

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 03:10 PM

The La Ribera police occasionally set those up on the road out to Hwy 1.

There are also new semi-permanent checkpoints just north and south of La Paz, and just north of SJD airport. Last couple of months those were manned by estatal and federales.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 03:33 PM

Been driving around southern Baja over the past couple weeks .......

TL,

What highway DO you drink on? ;D

Don't believe everything you think....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 04:06 PM

coming home from our semana santa camping trip last Monday, we ran into a police booze alcometro...a breathalizer! Luckily the cop had a Hummer stopped and blowing into the gadget so we got waved through. Juan said he wasnt gonna blow into that thing unless they had a disposable mouthpiece for it...glad we didnt have to deal with it! Never seen one before...it was just south of Sta.Rosalia

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2015 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
coming home from our semana santa camping trip last Monday, we ran into a police booze alcometro...a breathalizer! Luckily the cop had a Hummer stopped and blowing into the gadget so we got waved through. Juan said he wasnt gonna blow into that thing unless they had a disposable mouthpiece for it...glad we didnt have to deal with it! Never seen one before...it was just south of Sta.Rosalia

I wouldn't blow anything without a disposable mouthpiece either!

:lol:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-15-2015 at 01:49 PM

I think I would use a plastic baggie and cut a hole just large enough to fit the mouth piece if I had to blow into it or go to jail.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 08:12 PM

I had a TJ motorcycle cop once ask me to blow into his face.
I think the reference to not drinking on 1, may or not, mean
after turning onto a dirt side road a Pacifico may be opened. I
may have done that at least once back in the day. Interesting how getting a bit older some things take on different importance
Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 10:38 PM

I think gin will sterilize the mouth piece won't it:?:

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by Glidergeek]
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-26-2015 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Been driving around southern Baja over the past couple weeks .......

TL,

What highway DO you drink on? ;D

The road from Rancho Grande store to the beach.:lol:
Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 07:57 AM
Police check points

A friend and fellow fisherman was stopped at the police check point north of Cabo on the Todo Santos road on his way back to the states. They had him open his ice chest where he had several pounds of dorado filets. The asked him to show his fishing license, which he had left at his home in Cabo. He had to call a neighbor to bring his licenses to the check point. He was informed that he appeared to have more than a daily limit for both his and his wife's licenses. He could either pay for the excess or go back to Cabo and buy another license to cover the excess. These filets were accumulated over the winter and not a daily catch. These were local police and not federales. I often fly home with frozen fish which would amount to more than a daily limit, what to do?
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hooker33  
A friend and fellow fisherman was stopped at the police check point north of Cabo on the Todo Santos road on his way back to the states. They had him open his ice chest where he had several pounds of dorado filets. The asked him to show his fishing license, which he had left at his home in Cabo. He had to call a neighbor to bring his licenses to the check point. He was informed that he appeared to have more than a daily limit for both his and his wife's licenses. He could either pay for the excess or go back to Cabo and buy another license to cover the excess. These filets were accumulated over the winter and not a daily catch. These were local police and not federales. I often fly home with frozen fish which would amount to more than a daily limit, what to do?

Show him a picture of your "first" fish... Limit is two person..

:lol:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 12:37 PM

That is the biggest damn dorado I have ever seen and I caught one that, on a legitimate scale, weighed 58 lbs. Mine was probably 3/4 of the size of that.

How much did that thing weigh?
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 01:24 PM

Andres Cota? No?

That photo may be deceptive because of the size of the guys holding it. Apparently it was not weighed, but the fork length was measured at 62.25". That's 5 feet 2 1/4 inches. A big dorado but not the monster it would have been if held by a couple of six footers.

http://internationalfishingnews.blogspot.mx/2011/06/dennis-b...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 02:08 PM

Before you wrap or vacuum seal and freeze the packages, write the date, type of fish and weight on each one with a permanent marker

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Andres Cota? No?
l

:rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 11:19 PM

It was a shakedown, local police have no jurisdiction over fishing limits.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 11:30 PM

Correcto...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.