Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gone With The Wind!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 01:30 PM
Gone With The Wind!

BE GLAD YOU WEREN'T OUT FISHING ON THIS DAY.

It was during one of Mulege's Yellowtail tournaments a few years back. The day before my fishing partners and I were pumped and getting prepared.

I admit that we had been warned. The wind came up, as predicted by the stars and Buoyweather, right around noonish. It got bad, really bad. Only 'idiots' fish in that stuff. Soon, 3 footers were the little guys..to some rogues topping 5 and 6 feet.

I 'm still stiff today from all the pounding and bracing. Hell, I'm not 25 anymore...

...or even 55. ;)

The big fellow that just hit us was over 7 ft. We got wet...a few times. Sure is fun out there...oh yeah...but it's kinda nice writing this up while back here warm & dry at the casa, too. :rolleyes:

So...since we ARE idiots, we used 500 feet of heavy anchor road and 30 feet of chain on a big sea plow anchor. It held our 21 CC boat right over our chosen spot...a rockpile far below. If this seems a bit nutty to you...just chalk it up to...You had to be there. Man will do most anything to catch a fish. Sides, we wanted to get live bait down to that certain spot..plus do a little heavy jigging and hit the honey hole with both presentations. Again...we are idiots...and desparate ones at that!

We had idiotic grins on our faces most of the time... as the dogs shied away from us and resigned themselves to their fate.

We were left all alone on the water by one o'clock. Hmmmm.....Not another boat in sight? Could be that Non-idiots were enjoying a dry seat back at the Jungla Bar?

HOWEVER, the fishing was just short of unbelievable, but unfortunately the 'catching & landing' was not. I had 3 hookups with fish that broke my tough P-line.

Now I've caught some true monsters in that spot and know the estimated size of those that got away. Suffice to say..bigger than any in these photos or in the tournament. The bruisers broke the line in the middle depths...180 feet over 255 bottom...no rocks or abrasions. I am respooling with 60lb and going back for more. Failing that .. I do have 80lb. I am resolved to take the fight to them again and again.

Yeah, you don't want to be out in stuff like this..(unless you're an idiot, too?) Check it out much earlier when it was calm enough for me to take photos from a friend's boat...and Pepper and Chili to stand up.

Anybody who would resort to this egg-sinker method to fishing in windy conditions is a few cards short of a full deck.

Well, that's it for now. I have to drive back into town (by way of Ana's Bar) to eat the fish dinner at the Jungla and attend the awards presentation to see who won all the stuff. I'm a little skittish about some 'tournaments' that get too intense and over-competitive, but I love the food and drinks. Usually you can just sit there and sooner or later somebody will notice you and set down a drink or two.

The last entries I saw yesterday before we collapsed onto the Jungla bartop..went like this:

Biggest yellowtail at that time was 33 point-something pounds. My biggest in the box were dinks of about 24 lbs each...plus a half-yellowtail courtesy of The Shark Bite.

Biggest 'other' fish caught was a broomtail grouper ..about 22lbs, I think.

It had been a helluva rough day out there....

....and if I should ever be stoopid enough to try it again in wind & waves like that, please put me in a straight-jacket... and notify Co-pilot where to come and get me.

Signed: the idiot.

:rolleyes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 01:49 PM

The sea in that last image is magnificent.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 05:52 PM

Fun post! (unless of course you were out there.) Dem is some crazy waves for the Cortez!!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 08:22 PM

Unfortunately, once when I was young and stupid, I went out of BOLA and went north WAY PAST Isla Smith (maybe 10 miles) in a 15 foot tin boat.
Real smart, right!
Of course the wind came up and we saw waves just like you show here but a lot further off shore. When we were in the trough of the waves all we saw was water-green water and the waves were cresting.
How I got turned around and made it to the lee side of Isla Smith I'll never know but we carefully regrouped going down the back side of the island and creeped into BOLA.
The bar was open for many hours that night!!!
NEVER DID THAT AGAIN!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 11:35 PM

Have done similar stupid things in our 12'... the "stupid" part I can still relate to...the "young" part not so much! :)
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 08:05 AM

Roger,

As usual, great pics. Thanks for that trip down memory lane. I was also out there that day with Bob Hart.... you can check that box next to our name that says "IDIOT". Not the funnest day on the SOC. But, as they say, every bad day on the water is better than a good day at work....

I see you got a pic of John, Jim and myself. We fished isla ildefonso for those winning fish. One heck of a great day.

We sure miss you at the poker table.....and your money....

Hope you are doing great, buddy
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-18-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by htnfool  
Roger,

As usual, great pics. Thanks for that trip down memory lane. I was also out there that day with Bob Hart.... you can check that box next to our name that says "IDIOT". Not the funnest day on the SOC. But, as they say, every bad day on the water is better than a good day at work....

I see you got a pic of John, Jim and myself. We fished isla ildefonso for those winning fish. One heck of a great day.

We sure miss you at the poker table.....and your money....

Hope you are doing great, buddy

Hola amigo, and I'm still beating the odds, thanks.

Ahem... now as for those poker games, please note the chip count in this photo of one of our 'normal' poker days. ;) :rolleyes: Great times!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 06:49 AM

That stack of chips was short lived....I recall you stepping into the Losers Lounge not long after! Or maybe you won it all.....too many pacificos between then and now....Mmmmmmm.

Another of your great pics....good memories.

Thanks Roger

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.