Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: South Dakota plates/residency & driving in CA
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
What happened to Udo's post? Looks like the moderator took it just like the Customs guy took his sentri card.

I also noticed it has been removed- perhaps Udo took it down...? Happy to see he's feeling better, sorry he has to deal with SENTRI headaches.

As for this discussion: I started this thread as an FYI, to avoid hijacking other discussions that mentioned similar issues (residency, car registration etc.).

If people are using SD plates and/or have encountered problems with vehicles, SENTRI, residency etc., I can understand why they would want to avoid posting details. No telling who monitors social media sites.

(E.g.- A friend in San Diego just had expensive items stolen from her home that's being remodeled. She has been posting updates on Facebook. She realizes now she made it easy for thieves to target her location...)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
What happened to Udo's post? Looks like the moderator took it just like the Customs guy took his sentri card.

The SENTRI card is issued TO an individual, but the if you look at the fine print the SENTRI card belongs to CBP, not to the individual

Same with Drivers license ... They are "privileges" granted to the individual by the State .. and can be taken away by same, if they are found through investigation, being misused ... it is the Law
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 04:37 PM

Whale-ista, I'm sorry for all of the different directions your post has taken but to try to answer your question. All of the CHP officers I have worked with through the fire service over the years have said they are always on the look out for those that try to register in other states to avoid CA laws. Someone previously stated that you have 10 days to register your car in the state which is what I had heard too.

Ideally those cars you see NOB are just up for doctor's appointments and the like. Our LEO's are surprisingly observant. They DO get to know the vehicles that frequent their patrol areas. If they get stopped shortly after crossing the border they would likely receive a fix-it ticket that gives them a specified time to get the vehicle registered in the state. If the officer has watched them drive around for a couple of weeks they are likely to ticket them with a fine.

In Memory of E-57
prt328
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 05:27 PM

I am 100% on board with Alan's post. I too have tried to support the home state but it is impossible. There are rules and exemptions available but absolutely none of the clerks understand them. I too register in South Dakota now. I do not own a home in California but do take my SD car with me when I head NOB in the summer months. I have another car in California, which I keep at in storage lot there, and it has insurance and California plates. I tow it behind my California-plated RV that I paid sales tax on when I bought it. I would almost welcome being cited by LE for driving a SD plated car when I'm visiting my kids. I'm retired, have the time, and would love to tell my story to the judge.

A few years back I bought a boat IN Cabo that had expired CA tags. I went to BOE before DMV requesting a tax waiver (like the Ensenada Yacht Club) and it took me over an hour to teach BOE their own tax code. DMV would not have issued me the title or the tags until I showed them I paid the sales tax on it - or had the waiver. The boat never left Cabo but was registered and retitled in CA.

Keep in mind a few years back Gov. Arnie bought a plane and set it up in an Oregon corporation to avoid sales tax....
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 05:30 PM

So sad.

We humans, with our greed.

We make laws and then hire gun toting enforcers to make money for us.

From the Feds to the local jurisdictions; CBP to the neighborhood watch with a CCW, or not.

With a badge or some sort of power over us. The intimidation of a uniform, a gun and the fact that they didn't get laid this morning makes for some interesting and sometimes deadly hook-ups.

All for the money.

All for the power and control.

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by prt328  
I am 100% on board with Alan's post. I too have tried to support the home state but it is impossible. There are rules and exemptions available but absolutely none of the clerks understand them. I too register in South Dakota now. I do not own a home in California but do take my SD car with me when I head NOB in the summer months. I have another car in California, which I keep at in storage lot there, and it has insurance and California plates. I tow it behind my California-plated RV that I paid sales tax on when I bought it. I would almost welcome being cited by LE for driving a SD plated car when I'm visiting my kids. I'm retired, have the time, and would love to tell my story to the judge.

A few years back I bought a boat IN Cabo that had expired CA tags. I went to BOE before DMV requesting a tax waiver (like the Ensenada Yacht Club) and it took me over an hour to teach BOE their own tax code. DMV would not have issued me the title or the tags until I showed them I paid the sales tax on it - or had the waiver. The boat never left Cabo but was registered and retitled in CA.

Keep in mind a few years back Gov. Arnie bought a plane and set it up in an Oregon corporation to avoid sales tax....

Heard some pretty sick stories about "Arnold" and his time in office from one of his bodyguards (ARNIE needs a bodyguard, na-na-nana-na. Bet he even had stunt doubles for his movies).

At any rate, if you are out at Lower Otay see the guy that runs the bait and tackle shop. He's a hoot and was one of the bodyguards for that POS.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 06:46 PM

Cisco- thanks for the tip. Yes, there are some stories to be told about the Governator. Yes, he had his own protective unit.

I got to see them up close and personal many times- including one night at the Capitol Athletic Club- in my swimming suit.

(It was late, I was on my way out of the ladies locker room, to workout in the pool. The Guvernator and his entourage were in the hallway, on their way back to his waiting SUV convoy, parked out front, after his workout...)

I served in the legislature for 6 years when Schwarzenegger was Governor. Let's just say- I have plenty of stories of my own from those days...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 07:08 PM

Anyone remember secretary of state John Kerry parking his yacht in the neighboring state to save a cool half a million (and then 70k a year). Rich liberals scamming the system and not paying their fair share.:o
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Cisco- thanks for the tip. Yes, there are some stories to be told about the Governator. Yes, he had his own protective unit.

I got to see them up close and personal many times- including one night at the Capitol Athletic Club- in my swimming suit.

(It was late, I was on my way out of the ladies locker room, to workout in the pool. The Guvernator and his entourage were in the hallway, on their way back to his waiting SUV convoy, parked out front, after his workout...)

I served in the legislature for 6 years when Schwarzenegger was Governor. Let's just say- I have plenty of stories of my own from those days...

an ex-legislator who is a Baja aficionado? My overall opinion of politicians just went up 20 pts

In Memory of E-57
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2015 at 07:58 PM

Speaking of deleting a post, one can delete his own post
but don't the other posts in that thread remain? Example being an OP
could delete his header/beginning of a thread but don't
the replys stay? Don't you have the deletion option
just for what you yourself posts?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.