Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Watch that wash-down hose
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 07:42 AM
Watch that wash-down hose

My boat came equipped with a bait tank and pump that was connect to a thru-hull fitting; pretty standard fare. After a few years I wanted the deck space more than the bait tank so I removed the tank and the pump and plumbed in a washdown pump on the deck. Standard Jasco kit and worked great.
Last trip down when prepping the boat I noticed that the hose had rotted away from the fitting that went into the nozzle.
No big, I put it on the list of replacement stuff for the next trip.

Anyway, while underway on our first day out SWMBO starts yelling at me and I turn around to see water pouring out the end of the hose. Yikes. The rest of the week we had to hang the hose over the gunnel.
Obviously, while under way water would be forced into the hose from the thru-hull fitting to the pump and right thru the pump and out the hose. As far as I can tell, the only thing that keeps the water from filling up your boat while underway is the nozzle itself.
Do I have this right?
Is there a washdown pump that will only let water thru if it's pumping?
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:06 AM

install a ball-valve shut off between thru-hull fitting and pump ---

basic boat safe-plumbing !!!!!!!!! duh
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:15 AM

brass ball valve seems like a no-brainer, except chineese brass is prolly more ferrous than you'd expect? a plastic valve would do the trick but could easily be snapped off accidentally.

hmmmm, decisions.......

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:50 AM

Do you absolutely need this thru hull?

When I owned sailboats I minimized thru hulls whenever possible to avoid this type of situation. (Granted, they are often less visible below deck, in head or galley, vs. above deck in fishing boats)

But my thought was: boats are already holes in the water. Why add more?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mikeymarlin  
install a ball-valve shut off between thru-hull fitting and pump ---

basic boat safe-plumbing !!!!!!!!! duh

Actually, now that you mention it, I think there is one; but not very easy to get to. Plastic if I recall but it's been a few years since I've removed everything that needs to be removed and stuck my head into the hold.
If I lay on my tummy and stick my arm into the hold up to the elbow, I think I could reach it.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 09:27 AM

Jim
If you do install a brass/bronze valve somewhere, make sure that it does not contact your aluminum hull. use a rubber gasket or something to insulate it. A valve between the thru hull and pump is, IMHO, mandatory. I don't like plastic valves because they will get brittle and break in time. Brass is really hard to break off. As Mickymarlin said so well, just basic boat safety. It should also be somewhere where you can get to it easily in an emergency.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 11:24 AM

You also need to open and close the valve once in a while or it may not close when you really need it to. I exercise mine when I change the engine oil.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
You also need to open and close the valve once in a while or it may not close when you really need it to. I exercise mine when I change the engine oil.
The valves definitely need to be exercised or they will seize up. Should be a standard part of your start up and shut down checklist after every trip just as you do with your battery switch (and drain plug if you have a trailerboat)

In Memory of E-57
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 12:57 PM

Good heads up Santiago;

One question, did the bait tank fillup while underway - without the bait pump on?
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Good heads up Santiago;

One question, did the bait tank fillup while underway - without the bait pump on?

Some of the fancier thru-hull fitting for the bait tank or wash down hose fitting, are designed to provide water pressure while underway, without the pump running.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 02:40 PM

By adding a valve to the thru hull you get a tree of plumbing sticking into the hull. Better way may be a real marine valved thru hull fitting eliminating the close coupling and the extension of fittings that an added ball valve would bring. In some installations the trees are broken off by someone stepping on the tree. Also, you might add to your boat kit a couple of tapered wooden plugs for slamming into a through hull hole if it does break off. In an emergency you can always wad up a rag and jam it into the hole with a screw driver.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 03:47 PM
Seac-ck

Hola Santiago....Hows that "patch" holding up on your merc ?? any how,, for the seac-ck you would be well avised to ck/out the "marelon" valves...much better on a Tinny...it might look like plastic....Its NOT !!!..."Tight Lines".....K&T
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 07:57 PM

I give up....You obviously had no idea what you were looking at or perhaps my picture angle was bad - either way, I simply give up.

[Edited on 4-20-2015 by 55steve]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-19-2015 at 08:36 PM
55steve

Hola Steve....why did you delete your pics ?? A metel truhull fitting and any connected piping must be bonded.....aka grounded in the system and galvee to bronze is even asking for more problems....You have heard about galvanic and electrolysis corrosion .......:no: and ,yes I know what I was looking at...I see this 8 days a week

[Edited on 4-20-2015 by captkw]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 05:54 AM

So, those of you that have the valve, do you keep it open all the time and the nozzle is the 'check-valve' while under way or do you keep the valve off except when in use?
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 07:17 AM

I keep mine open. I use the bait tank or wash down every time I run the boat. The valve is in the engine compartment, not easy to get to, and water only comes through when the pump is on.

Sounds like you would need to keep yours closed unless you want water.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Good heads up Santiago;

The bait tank in my Grady does fill up while underway unless I close the sea c-ck (which I usually don't) There's high pressure under the back of the hull at speed. All below water line thru-hulls should have a good valve and as said before it should be operated periodically. This coming from an old cruising sailor whose main job while cruising was "staying afloat".

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 4-20-2015 at 04:48 PM

My washdown has a screw-on cap with a gasket that fits the hose thread fitting. It's hanging from a chain at the fitting. When the hose is off, the cap is on. Also, the pump and lines are plumbed above the water line to reduce the likelihood of water being pushed past/thru the pump.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 04:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
My washdown has a screw-on cap with a gasket that fits the hose thread fitting. It's hanging from a chain at the fitting. When the hose is off, the cap is on. Also, the pump and lines are plumbed above the water line to reduce the likelihood of water being pushed past/thru the pump.
l

my wellcraft was the same...
the pickup tube was below the waterline but
the plumping was above the water

I think yours is plumbed incorrectly

maybe you should go to the boat store and look at some new setups...maybe talk to a boat repair guy

then end the pain and re plumb
that is IF its incorrect

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2015 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
l

my wellcraft was the same...
the pickup tube was below the waterline but
the plumping was above the water

I think yours is plumbed incorrectly

maybe you should go to the boat store and look at some new setups...maybe talk to a boat repair guy

then end the pain and re plumb
that is IF its incorrect

Mine is just like this, pump sits on the deck above the water line. My error, if you want to call it that, was to use the existing thru-hull fitting designed to fill the bait tank while underway. My boat came with 4, below the waterline thru-hull fittings:
main drain
drain for below deck fish holding compartment
Over-flow/drain for bait tank (now capped off)
pick-up for bait tank (now for washdown pump)

By the way, the drain for the fish hold is a terrible design, it is about 2 inches above the bottom so cleaning the hold is a terrible job - the boat would have to be at a 45 degree slope to drain so I have to pump it out with a hand powered bailer and then sop up the rest with towels.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.