Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plants and Herbs Used by American Indians
sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:23 PM
Plants and Herbs Used by American Indians

As part of researching my contemporary novel, Sonora Symphony, I came across the following plants found in the Sonora Desert that were used by healers. Later, when the Spanish arrived and began to intermix in the southwest, curanderos continued to use and expand the uses of the plants.

Homeopathic clinics have these available, to be perfectly honest, you can go to just about any supermarket or small store catering to Mexicans or other Latinos to find these available – most often pre-packaged.

Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or an expert of any form or nature about the preparation and use of these. I can only state that I have come to believe they work as the result of being married to a Mexican for the past 26 years. She regularly uses them and, when I pay attention and do what she tells me – they work for me.

I think the easiest to obtain and cook is nopal, the leaves of the prickly pear cactus. If you have any of your own, please add them here and I'd appreciate it if you'd add them as a comment to my blog – A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

(As most of these come from the Sonora Desert, they should be found in Baja)

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:29 PM

This ought to be an interesting thread. Homeopathy = BS, in my book.

As for herbs and stuff, yes, many work for some things. We've been compiling this knowledge of plants for thousands of years. No problem with the proven stuff.

[Edited on 5-7-2015 by Ateo]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
This ought to be an interesting thread. Homeopathy = BS, in my book.

well, homeopathy = placebo = 50% success rate
50/50 is not bad

Harald Pietschmann
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 12:39 PM

Incas used (maybe still do?) to chew coca leaves for numerous reasons. I can imagine a bad toothache being soothed = not BS. maybe my terminology is incorrect = homeopathy?

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 01:13 PM

Most drugs were originally formulated from plants found in nature. Herbal remedies are not the same as homeopathy. Maryjane cures the common cold.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 01:14 PM

No doubt there are things in the natural world that cure and help diseases etc.

That is proven science.

Homeopathy ain't science.

Anyone want to take a homeopathic remedy for HIV or cancer?

I didn't think so. :)

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2015 at 01:18 PM

sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 12:07 PM

I apparently used the wrong description of the use of plants and herbs for medicinal purposes. I guess I should have said - Herbalism.

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 01:13 PM

What...no Boy Scouts here?

Willowbark = aspirin (used for headaches and pain for thousands of years)

Sweat lodges = rheumatism, etc, Same as today.

And a few hundred other remedies and treatments learned from American Indians by early colonists. We were even taught this in grade school, but that's all history today. No longer offered in the current school curriculums.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 02:00 AM

Willow=Salix; aspirin=salicylic acid

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 06:50 AM

I used homeopathy for years and it does work. I would use it again for cancer in a heartbeat.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 04:40 PM

the "Baja California Plant Field Guide" describes how natives have used the plants for various purposes.

Harald Pietschmann
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 04:04 PM

I am surprised no one has mentioned Golden Seal root powder, that was traditionally used by Indians in the southwest. Maybe its range does not extend south of the border but over the forty years since I first started going to the tropics, this has been by far, the best healing substance and still is, that I have ever found. It promotes healing almost immediately and forms a scab over open wounds in no time.

It can be taken internally [very bitter] to clean the blood from the inside out, like when staf gets a hold. Anyone remember the deep craters from spending time in a hot damp climate that refused to heal until you came home? Golden Seal never failed to scab up open wounds and heal in a few days time, especially when combined with a little taken internally. There are no antibiotics that ever worked as well as Golden Seal. I never travelled without it and still use it on all scrapes and wounds.

Take this, my brothers and sisters. May it serve you well. Thanks to all here for their ongoing generosity daily.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 04:22 PM

Most Baja folks are familiar with this plant and its many uses.

Aloe vera leaves...I've used it countless times to heal burns, wounds and abrasions. Standard house & garden plant.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 04:49 PM

Goldenseal - like most natural remedies, use with extreme caution!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenseal

Harald Pietschmann
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:13 AM

Thanks 4 by 4 for the info. I never considered using golden seal in any of the ways described in the warnings.

Just about any substance can be abused to the point of causing damage like the instances that were shown. As a topical application on skin wounds, nothing works better to promote fast healing and almost immediate scabbing over of wounds.

When staph gets a hold in the bloodstream, cleaning the blood from the inside will have a positive effect. The small amounts it takes to achieve the desired affect are safe. I would like to think no one would use this gift of nature to the extremes shown, but it is good to know that taking too much golden seal can be a threat. That can be said for just about anything. Used, as I suggested with personal decades long success, nothing works better. Thanks to all here.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 10:25 AM

Mugwart is a good one I grow it and I eat it everyday. it grows wild all around here ad is very good for joint pain.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bruce R Leech  
Mugwart is a good one I grow it and I eat it everyday. it grows wild all around here ad is very good for joint pain.

I will consider it for my joint pain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugwort

Harald Pietschmann

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.