BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Anchor buddy" for boats greater than 4k displacement?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 09:06 AM
"Anchor buddy" for boats greater than 4k displacement?

I went shore camping up the coast from me for a few days with another couple that had a panga.

The guy had an Anchor Buddy that was real slick. Basically, it's a big bungee with a hook and a shackle at either end that you place within your main anchor between the chain and the rode. He deploys it when nearing shore. It stretches enough to allow one to pull the boat to shore for boarding and then it retracts to pull the boat out into deeper water. Just throw out a shore anchor as well and you can pull it to shore when needed. No wading out to the boat and no need for creating an anchor/float, continuous-loop from shore and all the hassle connected with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBWravGEwp4

Problem is, my boat probably weighs in the neighborhood of 7500-8000 lbs. when loaded up for a cruise. That's about twice the capacity of an Anchor Buddy.

Anyone seen a larger version?

Certainly, you need to make sure your anchorage is safe from all likely directions as the Anchor Buddy IS a weak point in the anchoring.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 03:25 PM

This looks great, but not sure if the 50 foot payout would handle the SOC tidal swings...
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 03:51 PM

Max tides from Santa Rosalia/Guaymas south is no more than five feet.

Even greater tidal areas shouldnt be a problem with this kind of stretch.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2015 at 05:33 PM

That's pretty cool. Would probably work when you want to put out both a bow and stern anchor to keep from spinning with the tides, as well.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 06:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Max tides from Santa Rosalia/Guaymas south is no more than five feet.

Even greater tidal areas shouldnt be a problem with this kind of stretch.

I think wind waves would be a problem...

if the rope stretches that far the wind could blow the boat on the rocks...

that's a pretty "calm" lake...not the sea of cortez for sure

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 09:39 AM

Yeah, it certainly wouldnt work off your beach, Bob. Just so little protection there. But, then, who anchors there for any length of time? Not safe.

It would probably work fine at Coyote, Burro and Santispac. Not Posada, with how shallow it is. This is for a protected area with at least 3-8 feet of depth (depending on the tides) within maybe 20-30 feet of shore.

I'm talking about when you are in a protected area and have a shore camp set up. It's nice not to have to unload everything; just leave some "occasional" items on the boat (the main ice chest, the watersports stuff, etc.) and not have to use a dingy or get wet. Especially nice when the water is in the 60s or lower.

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 01:08 PM

The concept is good but would never work at our place in BoLA. We currently anchor 200+ feet off shore at high tide - I'm never comfortable leaving my boat on anchor for a couple weeks at a time but without a good launch ramp it's what we must do!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
The concept is good but would never work at our place in BoLA. We currently anchor 200+ feet off shore at high tide - I'm never comfortable leaving my boat on anchor for a couple weeks at a time but without a good launch ramp it's what we must do!

You're down off La Mona or Gecko's? Yeah, that's a pretty gradual slope. I seem to recall tides are in the 10-12 foot range in BOLA? I dont think this would work in that area.

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  

You're down off La Mona or Gecko's? Yeah, that's a pretty gradual slope. I seem to recall tides are in the 10-12 foot range in BOLA? I dont think this would work in that area.

Gecko - the ramp has always been bad but it's close to unusable from what I've heard.

I usually launch in town and motor down.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.