Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vehicles into Mexico
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 02:51 AM
Vehicles into Mexico

Hey Guys,

I am moving down to Lake Chapala near Guadalajara to finish my book. I plan on being back in just under 6 months (I heard that is the longest I can leave on a tourist pass). I also heard I have to make some sort of a deposit on my van/trailer/boat, but I am not sure how this works. Any input? Thanks!

These endless lands and unique waters are not simply soil and sea. These elements of earth and water are as much a part of me as my blood and organs. And the people that populate this corner of the world lift my spirit to heights that allow me to see what is truly important; The beauty of life. And that is the essential gift.
– B. Florez, Mission of Souls.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 06:12 AM

There are two parts to this. A bond/deposit for the van and a TIP (temporary importation permit) for both the van AND the boat/trailer.

Banjercito is the easiest to do for the TIP . The hard part can be finding a working website. If that one works, do it.

The amount of your deposit will depend on the year of your vehicle. This will be refundable IF you leave the country and turn in the permit before it expires. Even one day late forfeits the deposit. It runs from 200-400 dollars, depending on the age of the vehicle. Use a credit card for this, not cash, as getting the cash back upon leaving the country can be problematic. Sometimes they say they dont have the cash right now; come back later. This permit must be turned in at designated border crossings that accept the returned deposit documents/sticker. Not all border crossings do this. Nogales does.

There will be an additional fee for the TIP; around 50-60 bucks.

The TIP for the vehicle will last only as long as your tourist permit. This vehicle TIP is often referred to as an All of Mexico permit. Often, it will also denote that any non-RV type trailer is attached to this permit. ALL MUST COME BACK WITH YOU OR YOU LOSE YOUR DEPOSIT AND YOUR RIGHT TO BRING ANY FUTURE VEHICLE BACK INTO THE NON-FREE ZONES. Even if the van and/or trailer is stolen, wrecked and totaled, it becomes a big headache.

The TIP on the boat will be good for 10 years. But you need to get straight on whether the TIP on the vehicle will be tied to what you are towing. It usually is, and EVERYTHING is supposed to return by the designated time, or the bond is lost. The trailer wont have it's own separate 10 year TIP, like the boat. So, that could complicate things. You will be stopped, at the very least, at the Sonora-Sinaloa border for a check of permits.

I don't know if the bond/deposit can be handled through the mail. Maybe soulpatch knows. Most people do it at one of the designated stations for this. There is one about 21km below Nogales, AZ and one about 20km below Guaymas, Sonora.

I also dont know if you can get a TIP online for a non-RV type vehicle (conventional vehicle). See what the website says.

There is enough complications and uncertainty (yes, even among the agents who are supposed to know) that it might be best to just get it at one of the stations on the way down. Your situation is more complicated than bringing a boat or RV down.

[Edited on 5-21-2015 by Hook]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 06:28 AM

You have to move to Chapala to finish reading a book? I understand. I'm a slow reader too. [jes kiddin', Brian.. good luck on your venture]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 09:58 AM

:lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 06:42 PM

Soulpatch, have you returned to the US with your car, boat and trailer? Or any part, thereof? Did you return within the prescribed time?
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 10:20 PM

would it be different for an rv? Thanks for such excellent info!

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 12:50 AM

Thanks for all the info. I went to Banjercito and plugged in all the info. I noticed that the boat must be over 4.5 meters in order to need a TIP. My boat is 3.5 meters so I assume I don't need it. It is really just a yacht tender that I kicked up with a 15 hp motor. I leave June 1st, I just hope it arrives in time. Anyone know if i can get them to send it faster? Thanks!

These endless lands and unique waters are not simply soil and sea. These elements of earth and water are as much a part of me as my blood and organs. And the people that populate this corner of the world lift my spirit to heights that allow me to see what is truly important; The beauty of life. And that is the essential gift.
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 12:54 AM

So, now that the TIP is done, any other things I need to know? I know I need to stop and get a 6 month visitor permit, but anything else about the vehicles?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 06:14 AM

I've heard the TIPs arrive quickly from the online source.

Can we assume that you are coming down via Mex 15? If so, you could do a double check with the checkpoint 21km south of the border. There is rarely any line there, except before Xmas. This is also where you secure your tourist permit. Be sure and ask for 180 days. DO NOT LEAVE THIS LOCATION WITHOUT A STAMPED AND PAID-FOR TOURIST PERMIT!!! The days of claiming innocence and having one issued further south (at an INM office at an airport, USED to be a favorite ploy) are no more.

The area is clearly marked as a mandatory stop for tourists, clearly signed. Enter the general area and park in the fenced area, outside of all the striped parking spaces. There are English speaking people around to assist you with tourist permit and any vehicle/boat permits you might need. There is a Banjercito window right there. This is a 24 hour operation.

It goes against a gringo's way of thinking but, at times, they have wanted you to produce the actual title to the trailer and vehicle. Not just the current registration but the "pink slip".
So, if you have something like that for the boat, bring it. Most states drum into you that you NEVER travel with your original titles; if you lose them, someone could theoretically sign the vehicles over to themselves.

Copies of the documents sometimes don't work with the Mex officials, so best to bring the originals. As in Baja, complying with Mexican Officialdom is a moving target; very subjective from agent to agent.

You technically should not need the TIP on that small boat of yours BUT the engine (and trailer) on it COULD make some agent decide you need one.

What about the deposit/bond on the vehicle itself? Did the online Banjercito source mention anything about posting a refundable bond on your credit card, in the amount of 200-300- or 400 dollars? You will have to do this. It can be done at the described location. They started getting tough about this about three years ago.

Of course, in typical Mexican fashion, there is no one checking vehicles/individuals at this location, to make sure you secured the necessary permits. You would find out many hundreds of miles south, where a real checkpoint will be set up. For the last couple years, this has been near the Sonora/Sinaloa border, south of Navajoa. Confiscation of everything is supposed a possibility and I think I did read about one case where it happened.

Awaiting your responses. Gotta get you legal after driving so far. It's not like being turned around in San Ysidro and living in SD.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 05:43 PM

Well, guys explained about TIPs. Since you are going to Chapala, people at Chapala forums would probably fill you in, as to the local specifics.
http://www.chapala.com/wwwboard/webboard.html
http://www.chapala.com/webboard/?showforum=1
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 09:30 PM

I paid Banjercito $200 on my debit card (my van is a 1999) and I assume that is the refundable bond. I cannot get a TIP for the trailer unless I get a TIP for the boat. But, the website says I don't need a TIP for the boat since it is under 14.5 ft. I only hope I receive the TIP in the mail before I leave. I wonder if the Banjercito at the TJ border will have a record of that if I don't? I stopped at the border last Nov when I went to BOLA for a tourist permit, but was never asked for a TIP. I only recently learned that I need one. I guess this is the subjective part you mention. I plan on crossing about 5:00 AM so I doubt there will be much traffic. I hope all the offices I may need are open at that time. Thanks for your help!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.