Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 05:32 AM
UK visitors - more please & thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 05:36 AM

Thanks to David K, Bob H & Debra.
We'll be renting a car in San Diego & have been spooked by all the warnings on web about insurance & other hazards. Do you recommend any car rental company in particular? Debra, we have a potential booking for panga style whale trip in Guerrero Negro - should we reconsider nevetheless? Barbara
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 05:03 PM
Barbara......

I haven't been Whale watching in Guerrero Negro, only San Ignacio, the reason I recommed it over GN is in large part because SI is such a beautiful little village and there is much to see and do there, one of the most beautiful Missions in all of Baja is there, GN doesn't have much to offer (IMHO)....It's a large city (by Baja standards) that mainly exists for the salt industry, it does have one advantage in that area, a Bank! I don't know how much research you have done, but, make sure you know what range you have between gas stations (no petrol on every corner especially once past El Rosario)

Don't be spooked by the "doom and gloom" crowd, just be sure you have good insurance (Mexican Liabilty) and use commen sense, be friendy and polite (a smile goes along way in Baja), as I'm sure it does where you live......

I have lost count of how many times I have driven down (usually just my young son and myself) and never had a problem.

Relax and enjoy,.......
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 09:02 PM

If you do go to Guerrero Negro, there is a bird refuge there and go out to the old pier for sunset...dress warmly.
There is a taco stand on the main drag..tony's. He has a sea scene painted on the plywood behind his stand...really fresh seafood and Tony is a very nice guy. Las Cazuelas has great food and is run by a very nice family.
Mario's near the state line is also good.
I will be there in 7 to 10 days and will let you know if I find anything else interesting.
Cheers

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 05:30 AM
UK visitors - thanks again& another query

Thanks again all for the very helpful replies - such a good experience for me as one who's new to such chat sites and a soon to be new visitor to Baja.
Debra/anyone - could I ask if the road/s from San Ignacio to the whale site are ok for rental saloon car surfacewise, we would need to take care with the car?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 07:15 AM

The road is bumpy but does not require high clearance.
If you are going to be in San Ignacio check out http://www.ignaciosprings.com and make a reservation. Yurts on the water....one of the nicest places in all of Baja. They can also arrange for your whale trip if you dont want to drive.
cheers
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 08:14 AM

In San Ignacio and the nearby lagoon, the Fischer family is firmly entrenched in the business community. One of their number has a business on the plaza. Romualdo, or "Maldo" Fischer lives out at the lagoon at Campo La Base and takes tourists out in his boat. I've been out with him and found him to be accommodating and very knowledgeable, having started out as a diver and switching to whale watching tours when that industry took off. The un-Mexican surname is due to his grandfather, a German sailor, having jumped ship and marrying a local girl.

I do have a mailing address for him but presumably you're going in 2005, so it'd be late to write now.:lol:

[Edited on 1-13-2005 by Nikon]

[Edited on 1-13-2005 by Nikon]
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 08:45 AM

Barbara, since you're new to forums, allow me to suggest you register with a username. "UKBarbara" would be perfect! It makes it easy to recognize you from your posts. Undoubtedly you'll want to report on your trip when you return home.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 07:08 PM
Barbara, good advice from all above......

The road out is as "another Annon" said "bummpy" You can make it in a Sedan rental car, but , it will be slow going (25 mph. in most spots to be safe, what is that about 15kph? , you never know when you will hit a pot hole....., less in others, it would take you probebly about 3 hrs. plus each way ..........(I don't think you would be comfortable doing that) and no "fix a flat" along the way....

I really would advise that you get the company that is taking you out to arrange for the ride too. You will have a much more enjoyable and relaxing trip......also, if they offer to set up lunch for you upon your return from your Whale trip.........GOOOOOOO FOR IT! What a great meal they make! (the people that Ricardo arranged for us (Alfonso's, I think....) , I'm sure the others are good as well. And most advice you will get here is to be valued. Have fun, I envy you! I would love to go again.

And, yes to Nikon's advice....please register so we can know who you are when you share your trip report. Thanks
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 10:38 AM

I agree that whale watching at San Ignacio is different than at Scammons, but don't pass right by Scammons without going out to see the whales there too. You can easily drive yourself - no need to hassle with reservations. The turnoff is about 5 miles PAST GN. Costs about $20-25 for an hour (takes about 10 minutes to boat out to where whales are), and you could conceivably be in and out of there in a 1/2 day. Then continue on for another whale watching experience at San Ignacio. Their trips cost about $45-60, about 3 hours, but takes about 45 min. to boat out to where the whales are. Of course, if you arrange for transportation out there, that would cost more.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 05:57 PM
Thanks Wilderone......

As I said, I haven't been Whale petting in GN...My young son really wants to do that (and I want to do it with him) we haven't yet because it interfers with his Baseball schedule and takes too much time to drive down from Seattle (time and gas kill us) and still do our 6wk. trip in the summer.

Knowing that it can be done in a day has me thinking of airline and bus schedules. :yes:

Thanks!

PS: We paid $30pp for the Whale trip (it was supposed to be an hour and a half, but our pangalero was having as much fun as we were, and I think really wanted MA to pet that teasing baby as much as she did, so our trip on the water was more like 3hrs.......we drove ourselves so I can't advise what the ride out would cost...and as I said, the family asks if you would like lunch when you come back in.....I think it was about $4 USD pp, and a family style meal....4 or 5 courses and really great food.

I have to say, one of the pictures that comes to my mind about that trip over, and over again is when that baby Whale (IMP!) finally stopped for MA so she could pet him.....he had been teasing her, and he just came up and stayed so she could pet him, the pangalero had as big a grin as MA did!
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 04:39 PM
DRIVE ON THE CORRECT SIDE OF THE ROAD

UK Visitiors should be cautioned that Mexico is NOT one of the colonies that drives on the left side of the road.

Just keep telling yourself "I need to be on the RIGHT side of the road,
I need to be on the..."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.