Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SAW THIS POST ON FACEBOOK ABOUT LEWIS & LEWIS INSURANCE
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 06:20 PM
SAW THIS POST ON FACEBOOK ABOUT LEWIS & LEWIS INSURANCE

You may deduce your own conclusions. The post is about one of the more respected Baj Vehicle Insurers. I have no idea who Jon Dubba Mexico is, but the post was in TALK BAJA:

to my baja friends who buy special mexican insurance to rv in mexico...beware of L&L
This is my 2nd attempt to leave a review on Yelp..1st was removed for this reason "We wanted to let you know that we've removed your review of Lewis and Lewis Insurance Agency Incorporated. Our Support team has determined that it falls outside our Content Guidelines (http://www.yelp.com/guidelines) because it lacks a firsthand customer experience at the location you reviewed.
I asked Admin what that meant and Yelp admin would not explain. So here it goes again
Claim report # 2***1
Policy # 8***2 lewis and lewis
effective date October 12th, 2014 - April 12, 2015
On December 28th, 2014 my RV was damaged in an incident in Baja California Sur near El Pescadero. I was insured with Lewis and Lewis. I called and made a claim to the phone numbers provided. I made an appointment to meet the adjuster January 15th 2015. I sat in the rain for an hour waiting for a 9:00 am appoinmet with an adjuster at the 'VILLAS DE CERRITOS" a popualr well known place and landmark.
Numerous attempts were made to talk to an adjuster and they just blew me off...again
Emailed lewis and lewis again, and again..nothing happened after that. No call back nothing untill months after leaving a negative review here on yelp did I get contact from Jim Lewis. He wants to fix this problem 6 months later! Like I have nothing better to do then run around again for nothing...
Content Guidelines | Yelp
Yelp is a fun and easy way to find, recommend and talk about what's great and not so great in San Francisco and beyond. Members share their favorite recommendations everything from the latest restaurants and shops, to the best hair salons…

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 06:51 PM

I guess the dent wasn't too bad?

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 08:04 PM

Hummmmm. Just found out this morning that a car I have in Baja was vandalized in an attempted theft. I'll be calling Lewis & Lewis in the morning and see what they say. Had insurance for past 10 years without ever a claim, now we will see what happens when the rubber meets the road.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 08:24 PM

Please let us know what happens; I have had L & L for several years and have never had to file a claim (knock on wood) so your experience will be an important test.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 06:58 AM

We have had L & L for over 25 years, and did file a claim back in the 90's when one of those "black" cows wandered into my front bumper..
The repair work was completed back in CA, and paid for in full (3 months later, less sales tax) by Qualitus with a check from Mexico City... Jim Lewis and company was great to work with, but remember they are only the Broker and claims are handled through the insurance company's office...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 01:36 PM

I had a very good experience with L&L. After the roll over I called the number and at midnight the rep from the insurance was knocking at my hotel room door to take the report. He then said he was going to where the car was stored to take pictures and file the report. That was all really unexpected as far as such a quick response. Then I had to deal with the adjuster in TJ. This guy was as slick as an insurance adjuster could be. He told me I had to go to the department Publico in San Quintin. The owner of Jardines drove me all over trying to find the office and was willing to wait while I waited for them to find the report. I thanked him ans said I could use a taxi to get back to the hotel. After 2 hours of searching the clerk informed me there wasn't a report in their office and suggested I go to the federales. The desk sargent was really a good guy and after about 2 hours he suggested I go back to the hotel and return in the morning. I got the same Sargent in the morning and he showed me 4 pages of notes he'd taken trying to find the report and talk to several insurance reps. He went way beyond what I would have thought a reasonable search and came up empty. I gave him $500 for the coffee fund. When I got back to the States I called the TJ agent and he said he didn't need the report. AHOLE! Then he said he had to have the keys and registration. I told him they were with the car and he wanted to close the case then for lack of info. I talked to Jim Lewis and he got right on it. After 3 e-mails and several more phone calls from Jim the agent finally excepted the clam and 2 months later I got a check. I spoke with Jim Lewis several time and he cc'd me the e-mails he had sent to the agent. I've been with Lewis and Lewis for over 20 years withonly the one claim and am happy with their effort to get the claim settled. The Mexican insurer and their agent is the issue here.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 04:22 PM

I too have been with Lewis and Lewis for 20 + years. Had one claim 2 years back. Rear ended in my brand new 2013 tundra rock warrior. Hit and run. $5000+ Damage. Adjuster was sent out and arrived 45 minutes later. Took pictures and told us "since the vehicle was safe to drive. We could cross the border and have repairs done in the US. 10 days later it was repaired and paid for.

This guy didn't wait for the adjuster and then drove off? Left the countr? duhhhh!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 04:50 PM

It is less about California surplus brokers, and more about the insurance carriers they place your insurance with.

You need to check out the insurance carriers that the brokers can place you with to see what the satisfaction rate is with their service.

Too often, especially since the brokers like L&L and Bajabound, and others offer multiple carriers to choose from, folks look for the cheapest quoted rate.

How's that working out for you when you buy insurance NOB?
lilgimp

[*] posted on 12-5-2015 at 04:54 PM
Lewis & Lewis

We had the opposite experience with L&L...had a claim for a Polaris Rzr, they sent an adjustor immediately and he named an amount. My husband said that wasn't correct due to yada yada yada (engine talk) and they adjusted the amount upward to the correct settlement amount. All good. Super fast settlement. That was in 2014 and we have had insurance with them for about 8 years.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
It is less about California surplus brokers, and more about the insurance carriers they place your insurance with.

That would my feeling also, although the 2 San Diego brokers often listed here seem to be much more responsive, but the
Mex Ins Co is the deceiding factor. Over the yrs L&L have had
positive/not so positive reports. There is a rating service,
AM Best, or close to that, they rate Mex Ins Co's, the 2 HDI,
ACE, have A+, A ratings. Don't think this rating pertains
to customer satisfaction, rather financial stability, but there
never seems to be disatisfaction with the 2 SD brokers
and the Ins Co's they represent, HDI, ACE. Qualitas's rating,
while hard to find, doesn't seem to match the others

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:40 AM

That BajaBound.com supports BajaNomad.com; has great personnel that go the extra mile to assist clients; and use the top rated brands of insurance should make the decision an easy one?

The other San Diego based insurance agent serves their members, Discover Baja Travel Club. If you are a member of this great club, you get group discount rates also on the same top brand insurance. The club personnel are also terrific people.

Either way, you can't do bad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.