Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fontana Man Shot, Killed, While Preparing for Baja Weekend
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-1-2003 at 11:38 PM
Fontana Man Shot, Killed, While Preparing for Baja Weekend

http://www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?new...

FONTANA ? A man retrieving money from an ATM machine early Saturday before going on vacation with his family was shot and killed by assailants who robbed him and sped off in his SUV, police said.

"It is tragic," Fontana detective Ray Schneiders said. "He was in the process of packing and, in an effort to save time, decided to go to the ATM machine at 4 in the morning. One or more suspects was waiting for him to make a transaction and, at some point, viciously attacked him."

Jose Galvez, 40, was taken to a hospital after a passer-by noticed him lying in the parking lot of a shopping mall, Schneiders said. Galvez died from his gunshot wounds, he said.

Galvez's wife and children, who live near the mall went to look for him when he didn't return home.

"The family is devastated," Schneiders said. "This guy is just a hardworking Joe trying to raise his family. They were going to Baja and were hoping to beat the holiday traffic by leaving early."

Police have not been able to identify any suspects in the slaying. The assailants took an undetermined amount of cash and took off in Galvez's 2003 GMC Yukon with California license plate number "5AAF180." Anyone who sees the vehicle is asked to call authorities.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-26-2003 at 09:16 PM

:( WE MISS YOU!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-13-2004 at 11:56 PM
Police Arrest Second Suspect In ATM Murder

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2466527/detail.html

15-Year-Old Suspect Arrested Previously

POSTED: September 9, 2003
UPDATED: September 19, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- Fontana, Calif., police announced the arrest of 18-year-old Jesse Casillas in connection with the murder of a man at an ATM over the Labor Day weekend.

Casillas was arrested at 7:30 p.m. Monday in Fontanta, Calif. Detectives described Casillas as remorseful at the time of his arrest, but they were unsure if the remorse was due to the killing, or to getting caught, according to NBC4.

Casillas confessed to the crime, according to NBC4. A spokesman for authorities said, "Mr. Casillas told us that he was looking at the vehicle to carjack this person and that he got into a fight with him and that he did shoot him."

Two Suspects Arrested In Murder

Casillas is accused of being the triggerman in the shooting of Jose Galvez.

Galvez had just withdrawn money for a vacation with his wife and two children. He was driving a maroon 2003 Yukon when he went to the ATM.

A 15-year-old suspected gang member was arrested in the case last week. The 15-year-old's fingerprints were found inside Galvez's car which was found abandoned in Riverside, Calif. The teenager matched a composite sketch provided by witnesses.

The suspects are also accused of stealing the victim's car.

The murder weapon has not been found. Authorities asked for the public's help in locating the handgun and noted that whoever may have the weapon could be charged as an accessory to murder.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 07:35 AM

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, Grover. They are both Republicans... It's the liberal judges appointed by Democrats like Clinton and Davis who keep letting criminals back out on the street, don't you think? Rose Bird comes to mind...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 08:03 AM
They're all

just a bunch of Lieing corrupt politicos that aren't much better than the murderers themselves. Republicans, Democrats, Hogwash!
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 09:41 AM
Where are the lefties when you need one?

Where is the empathy for Jesse Castillo and his 15 year old running mate who take a life for a ride in a car?

Possible gang affliation? Can't we view this as young minorities rising up against the oppression of society?

Can't we link this to environmental impacts from chemicals in the air and water supply in Fontana and Riverside?

Can't we link this to the actions of Corporate America who push our consumerism behavior such that material goods and money are the only valued things?

Isn't there an element of a Police state here? Are we sure that the officers didn't beat the confession out of young Mr. Castillo who was ramdomly picked up only because of his minority status?

Aren't Cheney and Bush to blame?

...and Grover, it is shocking to read such conservative views from you.

JR, don't need politicians for this one, an old book has in it a reasonable suggestion: "an eye for an eye"

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 09:49 AM
Sr. Gull

I couldn't agree more !:light: Hopefully some are beginning to realize that what you are saying is true. Rather than ignoring and letting it happen.
Wake up people!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 09:57 PM
Liberal judges

DK,
I checked with Baja Vida and we agree that the problem with this country is the liberal judges appointed by Davis and Brown...

Baja Arriba!!
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 10:19 PM
Parole Location?

Released into "mi barrio"?

Please, it would be grand as some of my friends would like to have live action figures for the gun range.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 01:43 AM

This is a tragic story, and I am sorry for Jose Galvez and his family. If fate had dictated otherwise, it could have been any of us as the victim in this crime.

But to blast a non-conservative point of view or even appointed judges as the blame and to resorting to a short term solution of using the perpetrators as target practise does not resolve a complex problem. It is understandable that a short term solution would be attractive, as is would give the responder a sense of control in an anquishing and frustrating situation, and would provide immediate effect, but in the long term, would resolve nothing. Sooner or later, another car jacking would occur, sooner or later, another loved one or innocent would be wiped out.

And so, do we develop a posse attitude, them and us, and continue the cycle of violence in our society.

Make no mistake, if something like this did happen to my friends or loved ones, probably my first reaction would be to kill them, too. It is a natural reaction.

So, we go back and forth between the conservative panaceas of bearing down and getting tough on the perpetrators of these criminal acts and the liberal panacea
of controlling guns in our society and the possibility of reformed behavior through
rehabilitation. The truth is, neither work.
And neither does changing the laws around, three strikes your out, re thinking
control practices,however, an arguement could be made for heavily funding law enforcement resources.

Ghandi got it right, in order to solve a violence problem, society at large must reduce injustice and social disorder and reduce economic inequality.

We need to take a closer look at child abuse and neglect, and a closer look at violence drilled into our brains constantly
by TV, film, games.

In addition, there needs to be constant reinforcement on an educational level
against violence.

We must improve the life chances of the underclasses that contributes both to the majority of victims and the perpetrators of violent crime.

That's my opinion.

[Edited on 6-15-2004 by Margie]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 04:45 AM
Crime

We all have our individual feelings and solutions regarding Crime and Punishment,depending on our upbringing and Attitudes developed during that time of our lives.

As a young Korean War Vet,my last 6 months of duty was with the California Highway Patrol in the San Diego Area. I decided I would like to be a Policeman,so proceeded to Fresno State College for a Degree in Criminology{Paid for by the G I. Bill Of Rights.{Paid $120 Month}

At that ime there was a recividism rate of 70%.
Today that rate is close to 85%.

Following Graduation I went to Work in Hollywood as a Special Investigator,ending up in South Central LA where I soon learned that the people I was trying to Help "Hated my guts and those of my Partner" I figured that I had chosen the wrong Profession and left my Dream of being a "Good Policemen"!

Through all these years I have been subject to many changes in our Society:

Breaking down of the Family
Rapid communication
TV
Lack of Parental Control
DOPE
Rapid Transportation{Movement of people and Goods}

It would take hours to complete the List.

The failure of the last two generations to teach Responsibility of their Acts is the most outstanding!
If you will notice on many of the Posts that people are very fast to "Blame others for their on Shortcomings", to Blame others is a Cop out for your own Failure.

this is reflected in many ways, such a the large increase in Crime and the failure to Rehabilitate the Criminals in our Society.

Guns do not Kill People!--People Kill People!!

Even through Christains have Killed other People in the Long years ago, nowdays there are not many Christains committing the Majors Crimes.
That may or may not be the answer to a more crime free Society. Who Knows? but I as an individual beleive that the practice of the Christain Faith Will Help!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 07:32 AM

While the point about poverty explains some, what about the Enron's, the Bakers and the many very well to do criminals that we hear of.

For punishment - jail - fine - whatever to be a deterant it must be "Sure and immediate"

The belief that "I'll just get probation or a little fine" which is the experience of most today leads them to expect no consequence (of importance) for their actions.

We have learned that to avoid getting caught is the important thing, (radar detectors etc.) but if I do get caught "no big deal"

I've spent more than a couple days observing the changes and have seen the above in action at very close range.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:07 PM
Lou

Very Well Said;
The rich nor the Poor should suffer in an unequal manner.
However that is not reality, Money buys good Attroneys in the Past., Now the amount of News Coverage pays the Bills.

That is for those who commit a Crime that fits into a possible "Soap Opera".

The Poor have the Services of the Legal Aid and ACLU.Small Claims etc.

,DOPE has taken over as a common thing and dictates the outcome of all people,even the Rich, such as Courtney Love, who commit Crimes of all types.

Cheating , Lying, Stealing is a part of our Culture,which on returning to the States, cause me considerable Concern

It is seen every day in the violation of the Speed Laws, the lack of respect for other peoples Property ,

We must all try to determine "How we can stop the Trend

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust".

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 05:00 PM

I already told you what my initial response would probably be, but that isn't solving the problem of a thousand and more killers coming up the ranks.

Look, I know you guys cannot stand Michael Moore, but in his film Bowling For Columbine, there was a section on how Canadians leave their doors unlocked and are armed to the hilt, everyone has a gun or a rifle. And yet, their society does not see the amount of violence the US does.

There are similar influences, rapid communication, violent TV and games, what are we missing here ? It seems to me that their society is more balanced, their government seems to take care of its people more.

I've already stated that I'm not throwing my hat to complete gun control, althoughI feel there are alot of automatic weapons which should not be out there, and restrictions should be implemented; and, I'm not convinced rehabilitation works.

Something must be done to turn the tide, elsewise we'll all be living in a world of Mad Max.

Somehow, we have to help people help themselves, and return to a caring society.
We lost touch with ourselves and each other, and we need to find that connection again, if we don't, the future looks pretty bleak.

[Edited on 6-16-2004 by Margie]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 06:44 PM

The film you mentioned makes a good point - when it is beleived all citizens are armed, criminals are much more leary of attacking them. When the citizens are beleived to be unarmed (usually by law) the person with a weapon beleives he has enormous power and uses it.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 08:59 PM
Make believe world

Margie, now that we are reading that neither of these young men had obligations to respect human life or even respect the law for not taking a human life, we see the normal liberal b*lls**t tactic of inserting their own make-believe conditions. The young innocents were only acting out their hostility toward an armed society. Are you now changing the facts to say Jose was packing a gun?

Like I said before, if it were your family member you would be doing more than enrolling this two young model boys into night courses or high school extension courses.

Duh:moon::moon::moon::moon:

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 09:54 PM

I never stated that "neither of these young men had obligations to respect human life", nor did I ever imply that "Jose was packing a gun', nor did I say they "were acting out hostility towards an armed society."

I think Lou deducted that in a totally armed society, violence was less likely to occur, and I don't agree with that.

We are already just about a totally armed society, and we live (well, I don't anymore) with violence on a daily basis.

My point regarding the film, was that it seems to me, even in a totally armed society, one can live without the threat of violence if the society is balanced and fair.

It's too late for these lads, throw the book at them.. My concern is for the upcoming generations where violence is an acceptable norm. That is where our focus should be,

I really believe that the wealth and well-being of a country can be measured by how good does it care for it's own citizens.

Let's face it, by those standards, the USA is not healthy at all.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 10:14 PM
Hey Margie

"Let's face it, by those standards, the USA is not healthy at all."

Yer in fer it now! hahahahahahaha
:lol::bounce::lol::O

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.