BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: XM Radio reception in Cabo?
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 06:12 PM
XM Radio reception in Cabo?

Last April I bought a Sirius radio just before driving to Cabo. Worked all the way down and was absolutely AWESOME!!!
Taking a different car down next week with XM Radio. I`m thinking it should get reception all the way but thought I`d check here and see. So does the signal (XM) reach CSL or peter out somewhere?? Thanks...
BTW---- There are strong points to both units. I like the programing better on the Sirius, XM can`t come close to Classic Vinal and no Mojo Nixon, but since baseball season is coming, I went and bought the XM unit for my wife :yes: !!
But I like features like pause and replay on the XM, plus on Sirius you can put 20 songs in memory, but on XM, you get 20 artist (WAY BETTER)!! I guess if I had to choose one, I`d pick Sirius until baseball season!!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2005 at 06:22 PM

I fished with a friend in October for a number of days out of Cabo San Lucas. He has Sirius on his boat, house, and cars. According to my friend, XM cuts out about La Paz. Now that I think of it, my parents said the same thing. Sirius worked great for us on the boat.

Have a great trip.

Zac
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 03:39 PM
XM info source

We have XM in La Paz with no reception problems. Don't know about the Cabos. Try XMFan.com forums as there is a catagory for XM across the border. Surprising how it is used outside the US.
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 03:44 PM
X-FM Radio

Went to Los Barriles on the East Cape last
Oct for a week. The X-Fm Radio my friend brought with him worked great, we heard all the baseball playoffs plus CNN early ever day while we were setting up our fishing gear.
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2005 at 10:20 PM

My experience with XM radio in two different vehicles has been good reception down past Loreto, with increasing dropouts starting at around Insurgentes. While we still picked up XM all the way to the tip, the dropouts while driving around make it pretty hard to listen to. I think that in any given area we could get a good signal from a fixed antenna, so hooking it up in a house should work fine. At least I hope so, because that;s my plan!

Jeff
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 12:04 AM
I think the antenna makes a big difference...

I have an older Sony with the 'shark fin' antenna for my XM rig and it seems to work better that my Delfi with the small 'puck' type antenna.

The puck works OK up here in the states, but I suspect wouldn't perform as well in the fringe areas down south. My Sony with the shark fin works great to and from Mulege, with no fade-outs...haven't been down to Cabo with it, however.

Since XM now has over 3 million subscribers, several mfgs have begun to release new receivers, and home component stereo compatible units...I think the market will explode within the next year now that there is a genuine demand. There are units now that will alert you when a song or artist you program, is being played, on any channel...

We should see all kinds of new stuff on the market soon...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 04:42 PM

Our experience with XM is that it was great all the way to La Paz and then started to drop off from there to Todos Santos and all the way around to the East Cape. I, like Jeff, think that it would be OK with proper antenna positioning anywhere around Cabo. It was a disapointment driving around down there though.
It is on right now at my house. Channel 50 "The Loft"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.