chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 04:58 PM

Nebraska.............

bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 05:11 PM

thanks for the post, shari. gonna get back this summer, i swear!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 06:46 AM

believe me Fatboy...you would NOT wanted to have driven to Asuncion before it was paved...it was the road from hell with very high bad washboard...not a nice dirt road at all. There are still lots of great dirt to explore around these parts once you get in the area! You will enjoy the coast dirt road between Abreojos and Asuncion then out to Tortugas.

The Arce clan is very widespread in this area...probably the biggest name round here all stemming back from a Spanish cavalry dude who guarded the San Ignacio mission who married an indigenous woman and populated the whole area with Arces!!! Many of them have blue eyes! There are lots of them who still are horsemen and rancheros, and they are in BOLA, Rosalillita, Catavina, GN, Sta.Rosalia, San Lucas Cove, San Ignacio, Abreojos, Asuncion etc etc.

Bajasusana...look forward to your return to your duties!!!

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
believe me Fatboy...you would NOT wanted to have driven to Asuncion before it was paved...it was the road from hell with very high bad washboard...not a nice dirt road at all. There are still lots of great dirt to explore around these parts once you get in the area! You will enjoy the coast dirt road between Abreojos and Asuncion then out to Tortugas.

The Arce clan is very widespread in this area...probably the biggest name round here all stemming back from a Spanish cavalry dude who guarded the San Ignacio mission who married an indigenous woman and populated the whole area with Arces!!! Many of them have blue eyes! There are lots of them who still are horsemen and rancheros, and they are in BOLA, Rosalillita, Catavina, GN, Sta.Rosalia, San Lucas Cove, San Ignacio, Abreojos, Asuncion etc etc.

Bajasusana...look forward to your return to your duties!!!

[Edited on 7-20-2015 by shari]

THey are all related? hmmmmm.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 11:01 AM
Road between Asucion and Abreojos

Shari, I can see where that would be a great road, when it is graded, but it is hell when it is washboarded!

I drove that section headed south last October, and gritted my teeth for 50 miles. It was a 4 or 40 road (mph) and I wound up shaking the spare tire carrier off of my utility trailer. I drove over 500 miles of back roads and off road, and it was the worst of the trip.

I would sure try to get a recent road report before sending someone down that path!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 11:15 AM
Same as SoCa until 1961

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
On our way home from the beach swim yesterday we came across this sight.

It was a weird garbage dump as there was nothing but old...real old cans. Juan explained that it was the dump for the original Cantina and the cans were over 50 years old! There were thousands of cans...a whole lotta cerveza was drank there! Nothing but a piece of flat bare ground where the bar was...if cans could talk eh.

This beach was called "Tin Can" beach prior to be cleaned up in 1961. Today it is Bola Chica State Beach and is adjacent to the city of Hunington Beach

Bob Durrell
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 12:24 PM

AKgringo...you are right but sounds like that is what Fatboy likes! that road is still 10 times better than the old road from Vizcaino to Asuncion...so you can imagine what that one was like! Road tolerances are a slippery slope...one person thinks it's just fine and another thinks it's horrible!

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 03:37 PM

Quote:

that road is still 10 times better than the old road from Vizcaino to Asuncion

The first time in that area was about 16 years ago and on the drive from Vizcaino to Bahia Tortugas we broke a front shock on the jeep and a few miles later I slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop.

'My ex-wife asked me, what is wrong?!?!?'

'Nothing, I said, but see the that wrecked car?'

--Now the 'wrecked car' I was referring to was upside down, burned, no glass (the roof might have been caved in) with no tires and all rusty.--

'That is a jeep Cherokee, maybe it has the piece I need to fix this front shock.'

Much to my dismay it did not have the piece we needed so it was onto Bahia Tortugas where we spent a pleasant afternoon with a local mechanic trying to repair the Jeep.

My children played with his children while I attempted to explain what was wrong (I have a horrible ear for language and still only know a few words of Spanish and always mispronounce most of them.) using a Spanish to English dictionary, and lots of hand symbols that made me look like someone with a bad case of Tourettes syndrome.

Finally after he understood what was required he then proceeded to drive me around town to try to find something that would work.

After the Jeep was fixed we were off to see how close we could get to Malarrimo Beach which was a trip full of adventure in itself even though we never even came close to that infamous beach.

The Federales looking at us suspiciously as they explain this is not the road to Malarrimo beach, not even close.

The trade of some beer for some lobsters.

The visit by the local law who asked what we were doing and warned us about driving on the beach due to spots of 'quicksand' which I stupidly ignored and almost lost the jeep to the sea.

The dead whale on the beach and the smell that came from it along with the 10 or so coyotes that came running out from the inside of the dead whale as we drove past.

Good times!!! :lol:

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 04:34 PM

yessiree...sounds like a typical adventure on the midwest coast all right!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.