BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moving to East Cape
boagey

cool.gif posted on 7-22-2015 at 07:39 PM
Moving to East Cape

My wife and I purchased a home in east cape earlier in the year, we are planning on leaving Seattle, during the first week of August. We are bringing a cargo trailer with personal belongings for the house. We have been to the Consulate in Seattle and will be going back, before we leave. Please bring your thoughts, now my wife is worried about crossing with the trailer.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:08 PM

Welcome to Nomads boagey, you will love the East Cape.
Get moving boxes from Uhaul, mark them on the outside with what room they are for, make a manifest of what is in each box and a list of the things that aren't in boxes with approximate values. If you have a lot of stuff you should probably go through Otay, if its a single axle trailer you might get by at Tecate or TJ. Don't volunteer your lists unless you are asked for them. Rules and people enforcing them change from time to time so it can be a moving target. Take tour time, smile a lot and go with the flow. You may need to use the services of an expediter at the Otay crossing, it will be worth a few bucks to have someone who knows the ropes.
Look me up when you get here, first beer is on me.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 01:20 AM

welcome to a new adventure! all will be fine! just don't go thru TJ, they might send you to Otay -better to just head to another border crossing directly.

One week and you will be in your version of Paradise...safe travels and you surely know the scoop:

no nighttime driving. dangerous as all.

take dtbushpilot up on his offer! He is one all 'round cool dude.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 07:01 AM

Congrats on the new home! Seattle to East Cape, now that's a climate change!

When you go back to the Mex consulate in Seattle ask them about bringing a trailer full of household stuff across the border. Which crossing should you use, what restrictions, cost, etc. etc.?

Then let us know what they said. It will interesting to compare what they say to the actual experiences folks here have had.

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 08:29 AM

Ask the person at the consulate about getting a "menaje de casa." I'm giving you ten year old info here as that is when we did it. As I recall you make a detailed list of all your stuff and get it signed off by the consulate north of the border. Then you take all your stuff to an importer and pay a fee (we paid about 300 dollars) and after that you cross the border and present all your paperwork to the nice man or lady in Mexico.

If I were to do it now, I would just get the menaje de casa forms from the consulate and get the consulate to sign off on it if I had the time and then just cross the border without going through the importer. See what happens.

Household stuff only. No new stuff. We had a few new items like a BBQ and dishwasher etc, but we took them all out of the boxes, assembled them and dirtied them up a bit and buried them deep. The menaje is a one time deal for new residents of Mex. I remember when the consular lady looked at my list and said "Is that all?" thinking my list was rather short. I should have brought more stuff!

It is always a bit of an adventure crossing south with your stuff. Could be really easy, or could be a hassle.

Going down to set up household in August! Gonna be hot!!! Keep hydrated in all the proper ways and welcome to the East Cape. Life is good down here...

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 02:53 PM

Welcome!

I just came back from my first trip down to my new casa with a 6x10 enclosed trailer.
TJ was no problem. No lists needed, no special forms. Looked in the car area and sent me and my trailer to the x-ray lane. 15 min total which gave me time to get my visas. Very smooth. I was impressed.

Checkpoints going south were a quick look in the trailer and car. Nothing searched past the first bag or two in the car. Normal checks all the way.

enjoy and watch out for potholes around Catavina (north and south). some patchwork repair going there as well.

Lee S
boagey

thumbup.gif posted on 7-26-2015 at 09:04 AM
Moving to east Cape

Thanks to everyone who responded, it surely has helped put my wife at ease. BTY our home is in Castillo De Arena.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 05:38 PM

Glad the pot hole repairs are taking place. That was a terrible drive having to dodge the pot holes.

Quote: Originally posted by wetto  
Welcome!

enjoy and watch out for potholes around Catavina (north and south). some patchwork repair going there as well.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2015 at 06:55 PM

Hey boagey, you are just up the coast road from us. Beautiful area you are in. We love the dunes. Always come up when we have guests or the surf is at the right angle. We are near La Fortuna.

Welcome to the hood!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
boagey

[*] posted on 8-2-2015 at 04:13 PM

Wetto, did you use a custom broker? If you did could you please post the contact info. Getting ready to head out, and again thanks for all the help.
boagey

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 06:44 PM
Diesel Fuel

I will be driving my GMC Duramax pulling a cargo trailer, will finding diesel at the fuel stations be a problem?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 07:00 PM

Diesel available everywhere (nearly). We never pass up a chance to fill up if we are at half a tank or less. We have a 1999 F-250 7.3 so we don't have to concern ourselves with the whole ULSD thing. Safe travels.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

boagey

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 07:38 PM

We have started our adventure. Thank to all.
boagey

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 06:49 PM
Moving to Baja

Hola everyone....
We have finally made it home to Castillo De Arena. With a few hiccups (customs-brokers, flat tires and a broken spring on the trailer) we are all safe and well. Now the adventure begins, putting polish on this dull diamond and enjoying what the future hold by enjoying each and every moment.

Craig Boag
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 07:16 PM

Hola boagey and wife,

welcome to nomads !

i envy you so much. i'm trying to talk my wife into baja, either los barriles again for me or todos santos after we sell our house here in los angeles.

i hope your moving into your new abode goes well. DRINK LOTS OF NON-ALCOHOLIC fluids while moving around.

sign onto " bajaponyexpress3@gmail.com ", great local website.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 09:19 PM

The diamond will be shinning in short order. CONGRATS and enjoy.

I don't think an alcoholic drink once in a while will hinder your moving in.

Rat, hope your wishes come to be

Ron and Mary Ann
umpqua
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:22 AM

That's exciting. Congratulations!
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 03:38 PM

welcome to the dune and Frailes Bay view neighborhood........sea lions barking in the night while swimming by, Poor Wills calling in the night, bob cat sightings.......enjoy getting to know the natural sights and sounds.......your neighbor down the road
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 8-27-2015 at 10:19 PM

what a great outcome of a somewhat daunting goal! As elgato says, don't drink cheap tequila! I recommend the cream of the crop, Agaveros in the beautiful teal bottle that makes a wonderful vase. Plus it goes down like silk.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.