Author: Subject: Hyder, AK motorcycle trip
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 04:53 AM

Very cool! I have a similar trip on my bucket list. must retire soon :bounce:
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 09:26 AM

I remember the fires along the Frasier river, This pic was taken by my riding partner behind me on June 11th near Lytton BC.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 05:52 PM

Great photos, as always. It looks like you had a great trip!

Right now we are sitting in a campground in Inuvik in the North West Territories. After visiting the east part of the Northwest Territories on our way west, at Toad River in BC, we met a Mexican man from Veracruz who was riding his BMW motorcycle to Alaska. Unfortunately he broke down and somebody who was headed back toward Fort Nelson gave him a ride.

We have had a fair amount of rain at times, but no problems yet with any fires. I don't know if we will end up visiting Hyder, but your photos make it look very interesting so I never know. We will decide as we go. In the rain on the gravel roads we have seen a number of motorcycle riders, and it never looks very pleasant.

So glad you shared your pictures and I hope we see you the next time you head north.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by DianaT]

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 09:25 PM

Great B&W

Tack on focus and great DOF

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Great photos, as always. It looks like you had a great trip!

Right now we are sitting in a campground in Inuvik in the North West Territories. After visiting the east part of the Northwest Territories on our way west, at Toad River in BC, we met a Mexican man from Veracruz who was riding his BMW motorcycle to Alaska. Unfortunately he broke down and somebody who was headed back toward Fort Nelson gave him a ride.

We have had a fair amount of rain at times, but no problems yet with any fires. I don't know if we will end up visiting Hyder, but your photos make it look very interesting so I never know. We will decide as we go. In the rain on the gravel roads we have seen a number of motorcycle riders, and it never looks very pleasant.

So glad you shared your pictures and I hope we see you the next time you head north.

[Edited on 8-11-2015 by DianaT]

You've traveled some of my bucket list roads. Have a great time. Thanks for the kind words.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Great B&W

Tack on focus and great DOF

I try to always post at least one B&W in my reports. Glad you liked that one. Those old bldgs. with the overcast sky and rain seemed appropriate for a B&W conversion.

Thanks

here's another shot taken just down the street........

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

You've traveled some of my bucket list roads. Have a great time. Thanks for the kind words.

BTW--- my two favorites are the sunset at the campground and the Seafood Express. Both are VERY expressive --- beauty and a slice of life.

If you ride the Mackenzie or the Dempster, try for dry weather-- :-)

We say motorcycle riders and bike riders and really felt for them. On our way up the Dempster, it was dry and parts are really dusty, and on the way, mud all the way. :D

But the beauty of the Dempster and the Arctic is so majestic that it leaves one helpless in capturing it.

You will enjoy both!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 09:46 PM

The good news is that those roads will be virtually mud free for a couple of months in the winter!

Oh yeah.....dress warmly!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2015 at 12:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

BTW--- my two favorites are the sunset at the campground and the Seafood Express. Both are VERY expressive --- beauty and a slice of life.

Thanks Diane! The Seafood Express shot is interesting in that the man with his back to the camera is the owner, Jim, and one of the men sitting is his son. The man standing at the door is Jim a member of our group. In the bus cooking is Jim's wife, Diana, they have for 17 years been operating the Bus from June through September. They are full time residents of Hyder, Jim living there for 44 years. He catches, processes the fish they serve, including smoked salmon. Behind the bus is indoor seating, by the way.

Sunset shot-Sony NEX7, 10-18 f4, 1/3 sec, f 11, tripod
Bus shot- Sony RX100 mk3, 1/125 sec, f4.5

When I do the Dempster it will be on 4 wheels, this is the last trip Paula will let me leave her at home!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.