Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Matlock, northern part of England
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 08:31 AM
Matlock, northern part of England

We drove from Wales to northern England. On the way, we made some stops to admire buildings and such. We saw many motorcycle signs both warning cars to really watch out for bikes and vice versa:

This was in a small village:

Everywhere there are public paths thru people's properties:

Matlock is where we are headed!

We were looking for a place to eat and stopped by this establishment. It was built in 1562 but did not have any hot meals, unfortunately:

As we pulled into Bath Matlock, we remembered that it is a mecca for motorcycles:

And here we are in Matlock, at Les's cousin's house. This is the spectacular view out the back livingroom window:

We went for a stroll in the downtown area. This is one of many bridges in a beautiful park.

Saw this in the park as well:

This garden had gone to seed and was reconstructed in the original Victorian design:

Les's cousin and I enjoying a lovely day of sun:

One of the bridges - this one shows the levels the river reached twice, flooding the town. Now there is flood control:

Matlock is now going thru a vintage phase - tons of little artsy craftsy stores doing a brisk biz:

I was craving traditional Cornish pasties for lunch and these did NOT disappoint. The outside pastry was soft and the inside moist:

This corner tree is right in front of you as you enter town. Truly impressive with it's girth:

Wishing wells - I noticed that you can throw coins in but there is a lock on the top grate - a sign of the times, I guess:

And that is a wrap! The area between Wales and this northern area was not too pretty to look at. Matlock, however, is a real treat. It was built as a spa area even though it apparently has no special waters......the "creation" worked and it thrives til today.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 01:12 PM

Thanks for the photos, Blanca.

I take it the Holly Bush Inn was not free?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 02:36 PM

Thanks Blanca!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 06:26 PM
An authentic pasty question

I was born in, and grew up in Grass Valley California. Cornish miners came to the area and worked the gold mines there for generations, so Pasties are part of the local cuisine.

I have a friend here in Anchorage from Minnesota, which also attracted a lot of miners from Cornwall, so he grew up eating pasties as well.

We have disagreed for years about one thing, 'Do carrots belong in a pasty'? I say no, he says yes, what did they serve you?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2015 at 11:13 PM

The free house is not free at all! What I understand is that this establishment is allowed to sell all sorts of spirits and isn't restricted to a specific one.....

well, the pasties we have eaten are a meal in one and they contain carrots! The one we ate yesterday was outstandingly delicious.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.