Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dorado From Mexico Declared by NOAA an At-Risk Species
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 08:58 PM
Dorado From Mexico Declared by NOAA an At-Risk Species

Hola Nomads,

We at Worlds Aquarium wanted to share some good news for the Mar de Cortes - we have worked very hard to achieve this milestone and are not done yet. Press release below and please visit our website for more information on our efforts at:

www.worldsaquarium.org

or link to press release

http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/iuu-presidental-task-force-ru...

Peace,
Aaron

Dorado from Mexico is determined by NOAA & presidential task force on illegal unreported unregistered pirate fishing (IUU) to be an at-risk species

WASHINGTON— The Presidential task force on IUU, announced on Augsut 3rd that Dorado from Mexico is now officially an IUU at risk species. As a result, illegal fishing operations in Mexico should no longer be allowed to export Dorado into the United States of America and it’s extremely lucrative sea food market.

Worlds Aquarium (WA) played a crucial role in this decision. Over the last 15 years (WA) has been actively advocating that the exportation of Dorado/Dolphinfish or Mahi Mahi, a protected species from commercial fishing in Mexico, no longer be allowed to be imported from Mexico.

Article 68 of the general law of Mexican Fisheries states that Dorado and other species including Marlin, Swordfish, Sailfish and Roosterfish have been protected species in Mexico since the mid 1980’s. Yet as other species of legal commercial fishing stocks have been depleted Mexican fisherman have continually moved to exploit species that have been reserved for the tourism and sport fishing industry.

Catch data shows that in 2013 over 7000 tons of Dorado were shipped to the United States. Populations for Dorado have crashed within the Sea of Cortes. Even though Dorado has been a protected species, Mexico’s department of fishing, CONAPESCA, has repeatedly refused to enforce the law governing Dorado. This illegal longline fishery has one of the highest mortality rates for marine turtles in Mexico. Worlds Aquarium applauds the presidential task force on IUU for the ground breaking decision - that no longer allows a species illegally captured from Mexico to enter the United States.

Worlds Aquarium will now continue to work with NOAA to see that this new IUU policy is enacted and once and for all end the illegal long line Dorado fishery that has killed hundreds of thousands of turtles over the last three decades and led to rampant lawlessness in the Sea of Cortes.

Worlds Aquarium is a 501 C 3 nonprofit conservation organization with more than 20 years of experience in the Sea of Cortes and is dedicated to the rule of law, protection of marine mammals, fish stocks and wild marine habitats.

www.WorldsAquarium.org

[Edited on 8-20-2015 by Aqsurfer]
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 11:17 PM

Hola,

FANTASTIC NEWS...let's hope it sticks !

i saw a video a while back that showed dorado being brought north across the border being followed and filmed by some group.

TRUCKLOADS !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-19-2015 at 11:21 PM
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2015 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Aqsurfer  

Even though Dorado has been a protected species, Mexico’s department of fishing, CONAPESCA, has repeatedly refused to enforce the law governing Dorado.

Why is that? Have they provided an explanation?

[Edited on 8-20-2015 by SFandH]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 06:30 AM

lt's like the situation with the municipal police in Mexico. So much enforcement is at the local level, and they can be easily bought off to look the other way. The bribes extend up and down the political hierarchy within CONAPESCA. A local official takes some and kicks it up to the bosses. Maybe the reverse happens, too.

Remember that, like so many low and mid-level bureaucratic jobs in Mexico, you dont need to know diddley about the actual field you are working in. You are a political appointee, in many cases. You do what your appointer says.

Certainly the courts are not going to step in. I dont see a whit of change in the court system in Mexico, despite all the "talk" about making the system more fair.

There's your "explanation". But what CONAPESCA official is going to own up to it?

I think the press just gives them a pass because, in the whole scheme of issues important to the average Mexican, the impending collapse of the dorado fishery isn't one of them.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aqsurfer  

Worlds Aquarium will now continue to work with NOAA to see that this new IUU policy is enacted and once and for all end the illegal long line Dorado fishery that has killed hundreds of thousands of turtles over the last three decades and led to rampant lawlessness in the Sea of Cortes.

So, what is your game plan, after this? What has this changed, in terms of preventing the illegal catch of dorado? Will CBP agents now be more aware of dorado crossing the border? Will Mexico start enforcing the ban in their waters?

WHAT HAS REALLY CHANGED HERE, BESIDES MORE PAPER BEING SHUFFLED IN WASHINGTON D.C. ???!!!!!!!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

So, what is your game plan, after this? What has this changed, in terms of preventing the illegal catch of dorado? Will CBP agents now be more aware of dorado crossing the border? Will Mexico start enforcing the ban in their waters?

WHAT HAS REALLY CHANGED HERE, BESIDES MORE PAPER BEING SHUFFLED IN WASHINGTON D.C. ???!!!!!!!

I'm not answering for aqsurfer but can offer my interpretation of what will happen. The IUU policy will have the same effect in Mexico as the Mexican policy [none]. It may stop the US from importing Mexican dorado but they will still be caught and sold elsewhere. Worst case: they get a lower price and catch more to make up for it.
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 08:50 AM

BK Bend is right
At this point, all NOAA can do is attempt to devalue the catch by shutting down distribution to the U.S. Sure, other markets might be sought but the price will be lower. Match that lower market price up against the high cost of gasoline these days, and you may create a situation where it is no longer lucrative enough to exploit the fishery.

I'm happy to see that someone is at least making the attempt to apply some economic muscle to help Mexico with it's inept will to enforce their own regulations.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 09:33 AM

For nomads like me who don't know much about the raping of the Sea of Cortez by commercial fishermen, this web page, written this past April, provides a detailed account of the what's happened in the past 30 years or so.

http://experiencebaja.com/fighting-to-save-mexicos-sea-of-co...

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 09:35 AM

If you want an in-depth look at what is going on with the Dorado fishery go to YouTube and go to "Oro de Cortez" by Vince Radice. This is a very well documented look at what is going on with the dorado from the Sea of Cortez.
https://youtu.be/4vN_g2-JU_E

In June during the dorado tournament at Punta Chivato PESCA was all proud of catching a long liner from south of Guaymas with a large catch of dorado and billfish, turtles and sharks. When I met with the PESCA guys later, they admitted that the owners sprung the guys from jail and nothing much happened. Must have been some serious mordida on that one.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 07:11 PM

Pescador,

Thanks for the informative video link. Because of this thread I have a much better understanding of the problem. I wonder why so few Mexicans care and it takes Americans like the original poster and the writer of the link I posted earlier to confront the issue.

Why do so many Mexicans say "asi es" and do nothing? For example in Guaymas. It's obvious many locals saw what was illegally going on with the Dorado catch and said nothing. Disappointing bunch of people.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2015 at 07:27 PM

SFandH, one of the big problems is that there is a developing attitude that the sport fishing group (translate that into rich Norteamericano sportsmen) want to keep the dorado for themselves but there are people who are hungry and need to make money from catching these fish. It is a very weak argument and nothing more than a justification for catching fish in an illegal manner but it is pervasive. In the small village where I live I have helped a local fisherman get started in the charter business and I knew he was learning the other day when he said, boy when I fish commercially I barely break even when I pay for the gas but when I have tourists out they are very happy to catch a couple of dorado and maybe one yellowtail. Sure is easier for me and a whole lot more fun.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 03:35 PM
Doing MY Part...............

By eating more Steak.

Cattle are an easily renewable resource.

[Edited on 8-26-2015 by MrBillM]
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 02:02 PM

Great discussion - The listing of Dorado on NOAA's Illegal, Unreported, Unregulated (IUU) list is a very big development. It acknowledges a massive illegal fishery and sets the stage for additional action by US authorities, us at Worlds Aquarium (www.worldsaquarium.org), other NGOs, and concerned fishers.

We are going to begin collaborating with the US Fish & Wildlife Service on addressing this issue. Now that the US Government has identified this IUU fishery, it triggers Lacey Act violations. The Lacey Act makes it illegal to import any species that is illegal to take in its original jurisdiction. Article 68 of Mexico's General Fisheries Law expressly reserves dorado and five other species to sportfishers.

The six reserved species are a very important part of the coastal tourism economy in Mexico. They also represent an economic multiplier for coastal economies beyond the fishery - air travel, taxis, hotels, restaurants, marina facilities, land values, etc.

The IUU listing puts tremendous pressure on CONAPESCA. If they fail to or choose not to act, they risk additional measures by US authorities up to the banning of all eastern pacific longline fisheries products from Mexico. The US has taken dramatic action before to force Mexico into fisheries change - the dolphin safe tuna net issue shut down imports. Mexico/CONAPESCA cannot withstand that market power. Our work in the IUU listing of Dorado runs this very real possibility across the bow of Mexican fisheries. There are no economically viable alternatives.

Oceanus is correct in recognizing that the US market is the pot of gold: "Sure, other markets might be sought but the price will be lower. Match that lower market price up against the high cost of gasoline these days, and you may create a situation where it is no longer lucrative enough to exploit the fishery."

We worked very hard in getting the IUU listing of Dorado and we are not done yet. For more info please visit our website at :

www.worldsaquarium.org

Peace,
Aaron
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 02:16 PM

Cool! Maybe the population will recover enough to actually catch some :bounce:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 02:35 PM

I hope that in the future, a Dorado tournament is never again won with a twelve pound fish!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 02:57 PM

AMEN!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 03:00 PM

someone in BdeLA mentioned that the Govt is now the sole entity allowed to purse seine for Dorado. the small fish are the only ones able to escape the nets and are the only Dorado showing up in BdeLA!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 03:09 PM

Wildcoast and others have spent a lot of time and resources to make a pretty reliable estimate of sportfishing revenues in Mexican waters and through more than a couple government changes has been as persuasive as big money can be in D.F.

With tourism up right now and the per diem, per tourist spending right at $1,000 bucks, maybe they are beginning to see the light.

Don't know what they can do to appeal to the hotels for help.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.