Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: New border requirements for TJ
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:09 PM

A honest bar owner speaks up:

But Tijuana bar owner Hector Bibit said his American customers want neither regulations nor long lines. “Tijuana needs to be a lark, careless and crazy,” said the owner of Club Chug. “I need the border to be as loose as their wallets after five chugaritas. Standing in line only gives them time to reconsider their life choices.”

chugaritas? I can imagine.

Let's see, do I want to enter my credit card info into a Mexican gov website when the US gov and corporations can't stop hackers?

I dunno - you first.

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by SFandH]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:40 PM

I'm sure there are. As there are in the US. But I did imply that, IMHO, American systems are probably safer than Mexican systems. Should have kept that thought to myself.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
IMHO, American systems are probably safer than Mexican systems

Logic would tell me that also, there is online fmm required of all sportfishing boats, private and sportfishing landings, like San Diego, that fish within 12 mi of any Mex land. So all US boats
fishing the Coronado Isles area, every person needs this Marine
fmm, good for 1 entry. Obviously no validation. Many use
the site with credit card, but I would hesitate to use even an ATM in Mex

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
...but I would hesitate to use even an ATM in Mexico
So how do you get money if you're down there for extended periods?

FWIW, I have withdrawn at least a million pesos from Mexican ATMs over the last 20 years with zero problems, as have many of my friends. Occasionally a machine has been out of cash or offline, but I do not consider that a "problem".

There are some basic precautions which increase one's odds: always use the ATMs which are actually at the bank, not third party locations; if possible do it during bank business hours; and if things seem weird (machinery or nearby people), skip the withdrawal.

Ditto here.

As a visitor we always call our bank ahead of time and they always tell us its not necessary but we do it anyways. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 12:28 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my "mexican system" remark. But since the posts are continuing, I think it's important to distinguish between bank ATM systems and web based systems that you type your credit card info into. The latter may be very secure or very unsecure, depending upon the engineers that put it together.

I use Mexican ATMs whenever I'm in Mexico and have been for years. No problem. Banks have been perfecting the ATM systems for decades.

However, I'm more suspect of ALL web based systems that require you to enter credit and personal data that is going to be stored in a database on some computer, somewhere. Especially newly created systems, like the Mex gov system to buy FMMs.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by SFandH]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my "mexican system" remark. But since the posts are continuing, I think it's important to distinguish between bank ATM systems and web based systems that you type your credit card info into. The latter may be very secure or very unsecure, depending upon the engineers that put it together.

I use Mexican ATMs whenever I'm in Mexico and have been for years. No problem. Banks have been perfecting the ATM systems for decades.

However, I'm more suspect of ALL web based systems that require you to enter credit and personal data that is going to be stored in a database on some computer, somewhere. Especially newly created systems, like the Mex gov system to buy FMMs.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by SFandH]

Let me hijack the thread too.

There are some Americans that just refuse to use credit cards or ATMs cards in Mexico, out of fear, their credit card information will be stolen or cloned. These are usually the same people, that won't drink a beer in a Mexican bar, unless they see the waiter open the beer in front of them.

Now there are some corrupt store employers who will steal your credit card information in Mexico, and that sometimes happens in the US too. I don't agree with their fears, but I understand them.

But using ATMs at a bank to get money out is very safe, you're not dealing with other humans when you're only withdrawing money at a bank from your ATM card, although I suppose you could get mugged, or somebody could be watching you. Now fake ATM card readers and keypads, is a possibility, but it's a very remote possibility especially at banks, especially if you're aware of this type of scam.

The only scam I would fear in Mexico, and which I see from time to time, is that Americans tourists get confused using a Mexican bank ATM, or seem confused, and a nearby Mexican steps in and helps out, and sometimes pulls the bait and switch, and steals their credit card, or even sometimes gets the ATM card pin number.

In the USA, these same people would never let a stranger touch their ATM card, but for some reason when they come to Mexico, they allow strangers on the street help them.

[Edited on 9-2-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.