Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taking dirt bike into Baja
gpm414
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2015 at 08:58 PM
Taking dirt bike into Baja

Taking my new dirt bike to our winter home near La Paz. It's an off road bike that can't be licensed for the road. What will I need at the border if checked. I will have the legal papers of origin, bill of sale, etc. I want to be prepared if asked. Your experiences and advise appreciated.
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 12:05 AM

I would have the registration even if it's an OHV registration.
Lacking that a title.

Not sure how happy they would be with just an MSO and bill of sale.

Bruce
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 05:15 AM

Yes agreed. Registration of some sort. California uses green stickers. Make sure you do a few laps before crossing border. A fresh bike might get you a delay at border. Enjoy the Sierra Laguna mountains
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 05:46 AM

Yes agreed. Registration of some sort. California uses green stickers. Make sure you do a few laps before crossing border. A fresh bike might get you a delay at border. Enjoy the Sierra Laguna mountains
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 06:10 AM

Original title. Not a copy. 99% chance they will check the bike. I have crossed with a bike 6 times in the last 2 years and have been checked each time. Mexicali and tecate
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 07:10 AM
Title

Call Clay County South Dakota and see if the will issue a title
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2015 at 08:01 AM

You will need a title or registration or the bill of sale in your name. If they stop you which they often do when they see the bike they will match the papers to the vin number on the bike. If they don't match you have a problem.
gpm414
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 08:31 PM

Getting a title and will have it in hand at crossing. Thanks everyone!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 08:54 AM

I bring dirt bikes in to baja all the time,They want current (dirt bike) registration (CA green/red sticker) no copy.If your out of state where there is no dirt bike registration.you could get CA green sticker anyway just to make it easy to cross.I do that when I have to transport customers bikes from out of state.The last thing they want to see is pink slip,or title.That makes them think you will sell the bike in Mexico.Thats NO NO to them.It wont matter if bike new unused if you have Reg card that matches Vin number.When you cross,they will flag you over.Have Reg card ready like you own the place.Hand it out the window,most of the time they will pretend they look at vin.Then let you pass,hope you have good time.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 08:19 PM

Hey Larry maybe that is why they scrutinize me so hard because I always hand them the title. Haha. Never thought much about selling down there.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:25 PM

Having been told before that Titles are not as good as the registration in Mexico has never made any sense to me. Until today..... Hmmmmm..... I never considered selling my vehicle in Mexico....
Does this mean one could be turned around at the border for being in possession of a vehicle title??? Haha... I hope I am looking too far into this.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 02:51 PM

When I reported a stolen moto a few years ago (got it back !!!), the local police/prosecutor agent was clear that registration for license is NOT the same as proof of ownership.....so, proof of ownership is important, whether it is licensed (i.e. "registered") or not......and it would seem that a "title" may be one form of proof of ownership.

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 07:14 PM

Registration is not proof of ownership since if you finance a vehicle you don't get the title until it is paid off. The loan company owns it. A title or a notarized bill of sale is proof of ownership.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The last thing they want to see is pink slip,or title.That makes them think you will sell the bike in Mexico.Thats NO NO to them.

I wouldn't be concerned that bringing the title/pink slip would cause anyone to think I'm going to sell the bike. I rode my bike to South America a few years ago. I had my title with me the entire time. I had to show it at every border crossing. My registration was not enough. My recollection is that the title was required to do the temporary import at San Ysidro. Having said that, temporary import is likely not required in your case.

[Edited on 9-3-2015 by BigBearRider]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 08:24 PM

When you cross they only want current registration.If you only bring title,and no current reg card.You can be turned back. Many have been sent back to Us for title only.Like I said with above post,if your state has no reg for dirt bike.I recommend you get one,in Ca before you cross.You may get lucky cross anyway,but why take a chance.I do this for a living.As for you Ed there afraid of you.You dont count,When are we riding ED?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.