Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Development comes to Todos Santos, BCS
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marie-Rose  

The Colorado University project is also really interesting:barf:

CSU is being bought off, used as a marketing gimmick:

"In other Jimmy [Jim R. Mulvihill, founder of Black Creek Group, Realty] news, he’s very keen to fundraiser for us, and to mobilize his networks to fundraiser for us. We need to think in terms of a big ask for an endowment… Jimmy will personally give the seed money. Just another thing for us to figure out when we’re in Todos!…OK, back to board meeting.”

Amy Parsons
Vice President for Colorado State University Operations, Salary, $190,000+yr

http://truthsantosbaja.com/

Also, watch the video of a local resident speaking at the bottom of the page.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Marie-Rose  

The Colorado University project is also really interesting:barf:

CSU is being bought off, used as a marketing gimmick:

"In other Jimmy [Jim R. Mulvihill, founder of Black Creek Group, Realty] news, he’s very keen to fundraiser for us, and to mobilize his networks to fundraiser for us. We need to think in terms of a big ask for an endowment… Jimmy will personally give the seed money. Just another thing for us to figure out when we’re in Todos!…OK, back to board meeting.”

Amy Parsons
Vice President for Colorado State University Operations, Salary, $190,000+yr

http://truthsantosbaja.com/

Also, watch the video of a local resident speaking at the bottom of the page.

don't understand the quote. I see who said it but where?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:52 AM

What CSU has to say.

http://todossantos.colostate.edu/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 11:55 AM

Not a bad overview of all sides.

http://www.collegian.com/2014/06/csus-todos-santos-center-cr...
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 03:22 PM

One thing to remember is that most of the opposition to this project is from gringos, I have heard very few native Santeños say anything negative about this project. It seems that most of the locals that I know are looking forward to the jobs it will bring to the area. This is in stark contrast to the Los Cardones mine project which enjoys close to 100% local opposition. I don't know if the project will ultimately be good for the area or not, but there is a lot of nonsense being spewed by some of the detractors, like the statement that the developers "stole" the pangeros' beach. That was private property and never belonged to the fishing coop, who is still launching their boats in the same place they always have.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 03:59 PM

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Tres Santos actually sells a small fraction of its intended footprint, enough to keep some local workers gainfully employed, but not enough to convince MIRA to keep on building. I just don't see enough of the type of people who would like a development like Tres Santos coming to Todos Santos. Conversely, the type of person looking to settle in Todos Santos, myself included, is probably not likely looking for something like Tres Santos.

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by pauldavidmena]

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
One thing to remember is that most of the opposition to this project is from gringos, I have heard very few native Santeños say anything negative about this project. It seems that most of the locals that I know are looking forward to the jobs it will bring to the area. This is in stark contrast to the Los Cardones mine project which enjoys close to 100% local opposition. I don't know if the project will ultimately be good for the area or not, but there is a lot of nonsense being spewed by some of the detractors, like the statement that the developers "stole" the pangeros' beach. That was private property and never belonged to the fishing coop, who is still launching their boats in the same place they always have.

AMEN. They went to the Donald Trump school of protest. (and I do not think it is sustainable).
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

I don't know if the project will ultimately be good for the area or not....

That depends upon your definition of good. If you're looking for property price appreciation, more people, more tourists, more money, more jobs catering to the tourist trade, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. etc., it's a great idea.

Are they building time shares?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 04:21 PM

Are they building time shares?
Not that I've heard of. Another thing to remember is that 99% of the water in this area is used for agriculture, most of it highly unsustainable and reliant on massive quantities of toxic chemicals. Why aren't these people protesting that? It's a much greater threat to the area than Tres Santos.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 04:24 PM

Protest? or the dump that has been closed for a month.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 10:36 PM

That made for some interesting reading and videos on those links. What they have already done to the beach and mangroves seems criminal. Desal plant. Where have we heard that line before. :o

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 11:27 AM

"I just don't see enough of the type of people who would like a development like Tres Santos coming to Todos Santos."
Seems they're envisioning 30-somethings with children - the Whole Foods crowd. Doesn't make sense to think that there are 4,000 retirees with that kind of money who want to turn their backs on family, life-long friends and the lives they've created. Yoga and bicycling - makes me LOL.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
"I just don't see enough of the type of people who would like a development like Tres Santos coming to Todos Santos."
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Seems they're envisioning 30-somethings with children - the Whole Foods crowd. Doesn't make sense to think that there are 4,000 retirees with that kind of money who want to turn their backs on family, life-long friends and the lives they've created. Yoga and bicycling - makes me LOL.

Exactly - millennials don't have the kind of money Tres Santos is asking for what is essentially retirement housing. Do adults of retirement age want to live in this kind of development? Not this one.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Do adults of retirement age want to live in this kind of development? Not this one.

What makes you think not? We (retirees) come in all shapes and sizes, as do workers. Although I regret seeing growth in TS, especially hotels on the beach, especially on the only beach used by the local fishermen, the architectural drawings on the website for the residences look pretty nice. A townhouse/condo that you can lock up and forget about during the hot months and not worry about hurricanes or thieves, and then return to in the late fall/winter and not have to break out a machete to cut back the summer's growth would be OK with me.

[Edited on 10-6-2015 by SFandH]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:00 PM

Don't have a dog in this fight. Well heeled Boomers are retiring and have money. Tres Santos will sell itself. I've fished this beach weekly for years -- from the South end North to La Poza -- I could live there easily -- don't see investing that much money without a track record and history.

Honestly, if you don't know this beach, you don't know. It is a very special place.

Rancho Pescadero has done well from Day 1.

http://ranchopescadero.com

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:11 PM

Do you think this will put an end to the local panga fleet or will they still be able to operate out of Punta Lobos?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 06:32 PM

Do you think this will put an end to the local panga fleet or will they still be able to operate out of Punta Lobos?

As I understand it the beach has been private for a very long time. The pangas have only had authority to operate on a very small portion of the beach. I can remember camping on that beach 30 years ago with no pangas on it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:02 PM

They are still using the beach as they always have, Tres Santos has actually built them a covered facility on the beach for cleaning their fish. I'm guessing that they will probably benefit from having a resort there, considering that the area is pretty much fished out of everything but pelagic species like dorado and striped marlin that are technically illegal for them to catch, many of them will probably be able to make a better living by switching to sport fishing and whale watching charters.

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 11:29 AM

The Tres Santos development is here to stay and as most big developments has both lovers and haters. Similar to many of the beautiful beaches in Cabo, if you are a purist or in to nostalgia, you can write this beach off now.
There is no beauty or charm or magic left on the south end of the beach.
The fishing co-op who have a concession to work here are not doing things just as they always have been. They are working in a severely reduced space and different environmental conditions than ever before due to the introduction of a large sea wall or retaining wall and massive amounts of rocks and boulders which are now being scattered along the shore.
These type of developments attract a different type of 2nd home buyer than TS is used to seeing. Most buyers here are a little more casual, eclectic, artsy, alternative, etc.
But that is changing and it is possible with a big, organized, gated development, that these new buyers may actually show up and but homes that are priced much higher that the currently available inventory.
Only time will tell.
The local realtors (myself included) stand only to benefit from a new influx of buyers and I have had a few clients go through the Tres Santos sales pitch then buy through me after realizing the value they can get with current inventory, no HOA fees, move in ready homes. Having said that some realtors do not want the change associated with a big development and are thus strongly opposed to it. Others are struggling to make a living and welcome potential new buyers.
Like a gushing arroyo that has not flowed in 50 years, it is interesting to watch the change but sad to see a beach permanently changed by man's hand and a community somewhat divided by it all.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BFS  
The Tres Santos development is here to stay and as most big developments has both lovers and haters. Similar to many of the beautiful beaches in Cabo, if you are a purist or in to nostalgia, you can write this beach off now.
There is no beauty or charm or magic left on the south end of the beach.
The fishing co-op who have a concession to work here are not doing things just as they always have been. They are working in a severely reduced space and different environmental conditions than ever before due to the introduction of a large sea wall or retaining wall and massive amounts of rocks and boulders which are now being scattered along the shore.
These type of developments attract a different type of 2nd home buyer than TS is used to seeing. Most buyers here are a little more casual, eclectic, artsy, alternative, etc.
But that is changing and it is possible with a big, organized, gated development, that these new buyers may actually show up and but homes that are priced much higher that the currently available inventory.
Only time will tell.
The local realtors (myself included) stand only to benefit from a new influx of buyers and I have had a few clients go through the Tres Santos sales pitch then buy through me after realizing the value they can get with current inventory, no HOA fees, move in ready homes. Having said that some realtors do not want the change associated with a big development and are thus strongly opposed to it. Others are struggling to make a living and welcome potential new buyers.
Like a gushing arroyo that has not flowed in 50 years, it is interesting to watch the change but sad to see a beach permanently changed by man's hand and a community somewhat divided by it all.
All the beaches on the north side of points have been washed away due to the track of storms moving up the outside for the last two summers, this has been exacerbated by the lack of the prevailing NW winds to wash the sand back during the winter and spring months. Normally, there is over 100 meters of beach in front of the Tres Santos development and the launching area for the cooperativo. It's not Tres Santos fault that the beach has eroded, but the seawall and rocks that they have dumped have made the situation worse for the pangeros. the rocks have washed down into the launch area causing damage to motors and boats when they attempt to land on the beach. The beach will return when weather patterns return to normal, but in the meantime it's the fishermen who will be affected.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.