Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz to Topolobampo
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 01:59 PM
La Paz to Topolobampo

Anyone have experience riding/driving up the mainland back to the States from Topolobampo?

Ciao, Will Pizz
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 02:09 PM

I`ve done the drive from further south 3 times this year. I pass the turn off to Topo in Los Mochis each time. What do you need to know?
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 08:50 PM

I am planning a motorcycle trip with a couple of buddies and am looking for information about relative safety on the roads from Topolobampo to Nogales. Any idea about where to look for info on line that would have details about road conditions? Thanks.

Ciao, Will Pizz
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 09:00 PM

And, we're coming from San Jose, CA, is there any issue with crossing back into the States at Sonoyta or Mexicali?

Ciao, Will Pizz
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 09:18 PM

The only issue that comes to my mind, is that you will need a TIP for your vehicle if you leave Baja and cross over to the mainland. I don't know if that has to be obtained at the border, or if you can get it in La Paz.

Any other information I could give you about that drive is too ancient to do you any good.

Your insurance provider should verify if you are still covered as well.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 04:09 AM

You can drive safe toll roads all the way to Nogales. I would do the Mazatlan/Culiacan leg in daylight only. Marty may have changed things road condition wise. This site may help http://www.sct.gob.mx/carreteras/

No problem crossing at either one.

[Edited on 10-6-2015 by chippy]
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 09:15 AM

Thanks for that. Who is Marty?

Ciao, Will Pizz
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wilbur4s  
Thanks for that. Who is Marty?

:P:lol: Name of a storm.:lol:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 11:36 AM
mainland ride

Back in Feb. a buddy and I rode to La Paz and crossed over for a ride to the Panama Canal.Be prepared to maybe not make it to your planned destination regardless of the Ferry schedule.We planned Matzalan but with no explanation we had to add a few hundred miles after landing in Topolobampo. Plus we arrived in the middle of the night so you should expect you may have to ride awhile at night to get a room. In La Paz at the ferry terminal you will have to put up a refundable bond to import your bike into Mainland Mexico. The cost is around three hundred dollars depending on the year of your bike. When you return to the U.S at the border you can receive your 300 bucks back maybe. Maybe because if you return when the bank at the border is closed you will have to return or walk away from your deposit. Make sure you take at least four copies of everything. Insurance card, Passport,bike reg., pink slip and drivers license. They love copies and they do not always have working copy machines which leaves you to stubble around trying to find places to help. When possible use the copies and keep originals in your pak. One border crossing they failed to return my buddies license which created problems the rest of the trip.
I could go on and on, we did almost ten thousand miles in thirty four days without GPS or even maps and without riding the toll roads. Sometimes you just need to throw your leg over your scooter and go.
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for that. How did you ride back to the US, through which route?

Ciao, Will Pizz
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 11:42 AM

I have a casa in mulege so i returned thru TJ.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 12:32 PM

Border crossings: Nogales is always a total zoo, longest wait I've ever had at any of 'em. Sonoyta is a small pleasant town, the crossing is usually fairly short and simple UNLESS you're there on a weekend or holiday (U.S. holiday), or spring break. Half of Tucson and Phoenix are there, and half of those try to 'beat the rush' on Saturday. Mid-day mid-week is a breeze. Great scenery north through Organ Pipe too, but keep your third-eye open; it's one of the heaviest drug-trafficking routes in that border area. I'd recommend a night in Puerto Peņasco and a not-too-early up-and-go.

I've done the drive from Mexicali to Sonoyta many times, nice highway, lots of big trucks. Tolls apply between Mexicali and San Luis RC. If you want to cross at either M. or SLRC, you're back into long lines and bad smog like Nogales. Larger cities = more commuters and all-day lines.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 01:26 PM

I have always used the Mariposa crossing in Nogales and never had long waits like I have in Mexicali. I avoid commuter hours crossing north. I agree that Sonoyta is a great little crossing. I guess all of it depends on where you`re headed after crossing.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I have always used the Mariposa crossing in Nogales and never had long waits like I have in Mexicali. I avoid commuter hours crossing north. I agree that Sonoyta is a great little crossing. I guess all of it depends on where you`re headed after crossing.

Chippy, is the Mariposa x-ing different than the main highway access one? If so I didn't know there was more than one. Due tell por favor...

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 02:07 PM

Yes its about 4 kilometers west of the downtown Nogales crossing. The turn off going north is about 6 or 7 kms before last hill that drops into Nogales. Its not signed very well (suprize,suprize) You exit to the right and go up and over highway 15. You are then on 15d no. a short toll road to the Mariposa border crossing. It`s not a 24 hr crossing. 6 am to 10 pm.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 10-6-2015 at 02:39 PM

TYVM! The older I get the farther away Baja gets; Kino is looking better and better... Made it from the Guaymas Ferry to my back door here in NM in 11 hours once. Beats 3 hard days. Some serious thinking to do (smell the smoke?).

86 - 45*

Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2015 at 11:39 PM

Guys, What I am looking for in this post is some input with respect to the danger of riding my motorcycle from Topolobampo north and crossing at Sonoyta. I already know to stay to the main roads and to ride during daylight hours. The US State department advises against non-essential travel in Sonora and that it is a key region in the drug and human trafficking and can be extremely dangerous. In particular, the region west of Nogales, east of Sonoyta, and from Caborca north, are known centers of illegal activity, and non-essential travel between these cities should be avoided. And caution is advised while transiting Vicam in southern Sonora due to roadblocks that can be instituted ad hoc by local indigenous and environmental groups.
I have ridden my motorcycle down to La Paz and back and had no issue, so I am looking for some "on the ground" intel from folks that have been in these areas recently. In advance, thanks.

Ciao, Will Pizz
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2015 at 06:20 AM

On the roads you will be traveling I wouldn`t worry about it. The Yaquis at Vicam are always protesting against the government for various reasons (water,pestisides,land rights) They usually just block trucking and wave everybody else thru. The Santa Ana/Caborca/Sonoyta stretch has never been a problem for me.
The US State dept. doesn`t have a clue on what`s going on down here.
I did those routes in late August,June and Feb. of 2015.
Wilbur4s
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 11:15 AM

before you made those runs, what made you think that it was safe enough to do that?

Ciao, Will Pizz
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 11:24 AM

I`ve been living down here since 1998. I have business and family in Ca. and Az. I have averaged about 1.5 trips a year since 98. I`ve never had anything threaten my safety.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.