Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Faces from the Border: We Could Be Them
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 02:47 PM
Faces from the Border: We Could Be Them

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/faces-from-the-borde...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 06:07 PM

This whole immigration/ border issue just blows my mind. Back in the early 50s, Ike instituted what was called Operation wet..back. Yet Reagan issued an amnesty in the 80s.

Now Trump is calling for a wall and the deportation of 11 million people.

Good god, why has this been such an issue for over a half decade?

Folks living in the Southwest are residing in what was originally Mexico.

Our economy relies on the labor of Mexicans, who pay taxes and Social Security.

And now, the courts have blocked Obama's attempt to keep families together. My head just may explode.

[Edited on 11-13-2015 by Bajahowodd]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 06:47 PM
ORIGINALLY ?

Mexico ?

Well...............NO !

IF one is going to be TRUE to their Liberal roots regarding the Aborigines, you have to say that the Spaniards CREATED Mexico by oppressing the Aborigines and Stealing their land.

SO, at best (or worst according to your viewpoint), the U.S. simply stole the land from the previous THIEVES.

AND, when looking at the two countries in comparison then and now, did one HELLUVA lot better job of improving it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
This whole immigration/ border issue just blows my mind. Back in the early 50s, Ike instituted what was called Operation wet..back. Yet Reagan issued an amnesty in the 80s.

Now Trump is calling for a wall and the deportation of 11 million people.

Good god, why has this been such an issue for over a half decade?

Folks living in the Southwest are residing in what was originally Mexico.

Our economy relies on the labor of Mexicans, who pay taxes and Social Security.

And now, the courts have blocked Obama's attempt to keep families together. My head just may explode.

[Edited on 11-13-2015 by Bajahowodd]

Racism is a fact of life in all societies, the poor and powerless have that basic instinct to blame their miserable life on outsiders, foreigners, or whatever group is handy to cast blame on. Every once in a while a populist politician riles up the masses and incites a lynch mob. You would think the USA is on a linear trajectory of moving toward being a better society - that ain't true, USA is like all other countries, bound to repeat their mistakes over and over. You can't escape the human instinct to put self before others,...
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 08:04 PM

I've got a question and I'm not looking to start an argument I don't want snide remarks or name calling. I'm really interested in an honest analysis of the question:
Given that there is but a thin line on a map defining two countries and that those from Mexico come north for opportunity, what keeps Mexico from being as prosperous as the USA?
They have a workforce that wants to work, they have raw materials, they have an educational system and a banking system, so just what keeps it from being a place where its citizens don't have to leave for opportunity?

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2015 at 09:10 PM

They have what it takes, Cliffy.........everything except jobs and industry. It wasn't but a handful of years back that Mexico was isolationist with a frozen Peso and no international interest in investing.
As things get better, things will get worse. The more money the working man makes, the fewer will work for a wage that is competitive with the low income countries, such as China.
Another reason Mexico is in such dismal shape is their all but nonexistent tax base. It's self-induced national poverty.
As for the mythical "wall".........the only one that will ever be built, will be wearing boots. We're in for a rough ride.

[Edited on 11-14-2015 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2015 at 11:09 AM

Mexico can be whatever the people decide they want. First thing to address is the government corruption. Until that is resolved, most progress will be very slow. They have a hard working populace and many natural resources. I hope for the best. The corruption is very evident in most if not all levels of government. They have to get that in check.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.