Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Black Canyon of the Gunnison
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2015 at 08:30 PM
Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Last trip included a quick trip to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park near Montrose, Colorado --- this is one that definitely requires another visit when all of it is open!

However, if it had not been for the downpour, we may have never taken the time to watch the film in the visitor center and it is REALLY a good one --- one of the best we have seen at a National Park. One must see it to believe it.

We were going to camp, but snow was coming and going and well, a hotel was in order.

This canyon is wonderful and had to be even better when the Gunnison ran without three dams up river. It is quite a narrow canyon --- at one point it is only 40 feet wide and some parts only recieve a bit over 30 minutes of sunlight a day. We had to get the pictures we did between the showers.

Winter was coming quickly as we experienced over Monarch Pass on our way to the park.

I think the best photos are taken by people with no fear of heights which is NOT me. John is better, but he still will not hang over the edge. This is a trail where I stopped as it was narrow, slippery and straight down to the bottom of that canyon. So he saw more of the bottom of the canyon than did I. :yes:

But John made it out there. I was just so happy when he returned safely. When someone suffers from a fear of heights, it also means worrying more about others.

Now just some images in small sizes of what we saw and want to see again.

[img]https://photosjd.smugmug.com/Yellowstone-Trip2015/Black-Canyon-of-
[img]the-Gunnison/i-KX5Fj2d/0/L/DSC06526-2-2-Edit-L.jpg[/img][/img]

A beautiful place indeed

[Edited on 11-23-2015 by DianaT]

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-22-2015 at 09:21 PM

Yes it is! I spent couple of extra nights, we had not planed on climbing a wall there many moons ago. The canyon is just beautiful.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 09:51 AM

If I ever meet John, the first shot of Jack D is on me.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 05:55 PM

MMc ---- it is far more than I expected ---- very unique and beautiful.

Maron ----- Okay. :biggrin:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2015 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Nice.
I was very close to there for my solar training and I wasn't able to get out there.
Next time.

Thanks and Yes, next time --- it is well worth it!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 09:04 AM

DianaT, yes it is very pretty. It a great place to hike as well. A trip in the spring or summer is a good time.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2015 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
DianaT, yes it is very pretty. It a great place to hike as well. A trip in the spring or summer is a good time.

My son went to Western State in Gunnison so he spent a lot of time at the canyon and on the river. We knew this was not the ideal time, so yes, we will go back. I really want to see the north end. While I would love to have the time and weather to do some hiking, I know I would not want to hike down from the top. My sons are rock climbers, not me. :yes:

I just loved the stories about the old train, and the surveyors who used rubber mattresses to survey the bottom, etc.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 04:48 PM

Been there. Done that. No question that it is a magnificent area. But I have to ask one question. Do John and you ever stay home?:biggrin:

Especially considering that your home is in a beautiful area East of the Sierra.

[Edited on 11-25-2015 by Bajahowodd]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 08:40 PM

OMG. These are beautiful Diane. The pictures show how inspired you where. I never realized how spectacular that place is. You had good lighting that day.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
OMG. These are beautiful Diane. The pictures show how inspired you where. I never realized how spectacular that place is. You had good lighting that day.

Thanks Igor, it is a spectacular place. Every Vista is different and special. It is one of those overwhelming places.

Howard, going to travel as long as we can, but home is always good. :yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.