Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gunk-Holing on the Cortez
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:02 AM
Gunk-Holing on the Cortez

It was a normal sleepy day at home in Coyote Bay...

While having lunch on the patio...Let's go gunk-holing!...was the sudden cry.

Now there was an invitation to adventure! To cast off the sameness of a lazy shore life and go aboard the Pompano for an quick escape into an utopia of freedom. Being it was to be on the Sea of Cortez just put icing on the cake!

We had so many great fishing days and perfect starlight nights aboard that great old cabin cruiser. Sleeping outside on top of the large padded hatch…looking up at the stars…listening to whales blowing.. unknown things breaking the surface...the comforting sound of a working bilge pump. Magical and thrilling times…

What direction to head? We flip a coin and go with the wind...south down the coast to San Sebastian. A great cove to boat camp for a few days of prime R&R.

To facillitate our fishing and shore landings, we towed our 19' aluminum boat behind. I rigged a Y-line and it followed beautifully with nary a mishap.

The fishing was always good...and the catching wasn't bad either!

Even when Co-pilot chummed with carrots, we caught fish...

……yup, she really used ‘carrots’…sigh. :rolleyes:

Back in the day, hook-ups were never long between.

RED SNAPPER caught off the aft deck one evening while at anchor in San Sabastian. One of my favorite grilled fish dinners!

POMPANO SCRABBLE GAMES WITH CO-PILOT. We played many a fun game of Scrabble during a break from fishing.

Each day something new and interesting presented itself. While out cruising one day we ran across some Coyote Bay neighbors near Punta Pulpito...a NOLS kayaking group heading for points south.

COOKING ABOARD POMPANO
During nice weather.. a normal event...we preferred cooking outside the cabin on a Coleman stove. The galley had an alcohol stove which heated the cabin too much, plus the alchohol stoves were subject to accidents, so we found the portable Coleman to be perfect.

My turn for KP....I finally graduated to dishwasher apprentice class.

After a wonderful week in Sabastian Cove, I decide to head north many miles to more creature comforts at the Santa Rosalia Marina. I.E... replenish fresh water, ice, beer, walk around a town and see the sights.

A decision met with approval by the crew.

Here we are docked in Santa Rosalia marina after about a hundred-mile run from Sabastian Cove.

During a walkabout around town, we meet up with some long-time sailing amigos and decide to share an anchorage with them in the lee of San Marcos Island.

Johnny Tequila and Cindy aboard their trimaran...'Quetzal'.

John and Kristy Walton aboard their tri...'Meshack'

RIP John. You are missed.

We are gifted with this view of seals and their pups.

A big bull sea lion basking in the sun.

Another 'sailing' at sea.

We watch a huge freighter, 'The Gold Bond Conveyor', coming into the gypsum mine on the island of San Marcos. This was truly a montrous ship. I recall hearing it hailed on the vhf radio...answering to the name of 'Friendly Island'.

Every so often you could see the plumes of white smoke appear over the island...and seconds later hear the BOOM of the exploding dynamite.

We went ashore at the mine to inspect the operations of gypsum mining...and to make some emergency repairs that required a welding shop. As duly noted on our daily greaseboard log by Co-Pilot.

Everything got covered by a white dust.

The freighter tied up on the wharf for loading with gypsum...bound for Canada.

Enough about working ...time to return to fishing. I get into our chase boat for a little trolling.

Right off, I get a needlefish hookup...fun, but not high on my list for dinner.

I decide to try for some squid down deep...and was awarded promptly with some Humbolts.

Back aboard the Pompano, I am applauded by Co-Pilot.

Who quickly rewards me with a c-cktail. What a first mate!

Makes for a perfect end to another fine gunk-holing day on the Cortez.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:10 AM

Thank you kind sir!
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:16 AM

As usual fab. pics and narrative, spent 3 nights in Mulege, bad news is spent 2 night at the jungle and had a great time thanks Cliff
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 10:20 AM

It's good to fire up the time machine once in a while. Thanks for the view!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 03:25 PM

wooops, for got to say last month (oct. 2015) in Mulege
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-25-2015 at 06:07 PM

good times. wonderful memories and images- thanks for posting!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2015 at 08:22 PM

cool report!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.