Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I know these mechanics in Baja
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 11:02 AM
I know these mechanics in Baja

And unfortunately from my point of view, I know most of them. This is because travel in Baja isn't that goos on vehicles. Even on the main roads.
I have spent a lot of time learning about them on purpose besides the unplanned visits.
I cruise around a lot. Mostly off the main roads and have dealt with most every possible problem with my vehicles, usually somewhere that if you thought up a place like "what if something went wrong here", those would be the places. And, it's happened a whole bunch of times and I have great stories but this isn't about my breakdown stories, it's about mechanics in Baja.
So, in my investigation into getting vehicles fixed, I learned a lot about the mechanics in Baja. They are all good folks ( mas o menos ) once you get away from the big cities. And these guys learned from , as they say in the u.s., "200 years of combined experience".
And that experience, combined with machinery, means you either make it work or do without.
In Mexico, the people are very curious. Not like being curious in the u.s. but they want to know how things work. Especially if it means cruising the main drag as opposed to walking the main drag.
So, they looked into what it takes to make things work. Everything. If it has moving parts, what makes them move?
And they are serious about it. So much so that because they didn't have Manny, Moe or Jack around, and they couldn't afford new parts anyway, they learned how to simplify. And they were serious about it.
Example 1; Carbeurator. Mixture of gas and air to make combustion. Expensive!
Solution; Gas tank on top of car with hose going into broken carb. Hood removed for air intake and ta da. Less expensive. Etc., etc., etc.
In my travels in Baja, I have learned which of these guys use the better hoses and who give back your hood rather than making an oven or panga out of it.
Most of them are not on the cartretera and most don't even have signs. And that's because they don't need them. Everyone who lives here already knows them and they are well respected as they should be. Publicity? Por que?
And then there are these other guys along the carretera who are always sitting around looking lazy but in reality, every once in a while some un suspecting foreigner breaks down and maies up for the last 6 months of no business. They have signs!
Example 2. Towing my truck down here with the van, I experienced some problems as usual. It's been about a month and they haven't gone away. In fact, after returning from a trading trip yesterday, they became quite serious. As in billowing white and blue smoke coming out of one of my tail pipes.
So, after clouding up La Paz with my smoke screen, I made it to my favorite mechanic. And after describing the problem, he said it is the same symptoms as this P-nche gringo had with his van and it would be $11,000 pesos to fix it. About a thousand dollars u.s.
Fortunately, after discussing money and in my case, a payment plan, the van wouldn't move. No trans. fluid again. So I am pouring in the fluid and Pedro sayswait a minute, let me check something.
It's a something that has to do with shifting and it also apparently allows trans fluid to enter the motor oil to make a fine soup. No wonder engine oil has been twice as full as how much I put in.
One trip to auto parts for trans fluid and another for oil filter and motor oil with the new part installed and no more smoke, oil pressure is back up and it shifts and moves.
We are now safely back in San Bartolo, the van is running better than the whole trip and it cost $350 pesos. About $32.00 u.s... as opposed to the $1000 original estimate.
Baja Search and Rescue approved !!! It's simply amazing what an occasional "hola Paco, como estas" will make happen, eh Braulio?:lol:

[Edited on 1/21/2005 by jrbaja]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 05:30 PM

Good story Jr. But It could use a Little editing.

Got yea.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 05:30 PM
GReat story!

This has to be the most interesting story that I've come across! Excellent writing.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 07:11 PM

"Baja Search and Rescue approved "

JR if you have such serious problems with your vehicles how do you search and rescue people.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 07:25 PM

Jr. next time post the symptoms of your problem on the nomad there are lots of people to give you both good and bad advice. had I known the problem you were having, that is the first thang I would have told you to check.

glad it is running good now

bring me some Bamboo shuts

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 08:44 PM
Who needs a carburetor?

Got to say, though: The position of the gas tank and the presence or absence of a hood has nothing to do with how a carburetor processes gasoline. If the carburetor's truly broken (can't mix the gas with the air) the car won't run -- you can't just pour raw gasoline into an engine.

So there's no shortcut or simplification here that takes the place of a working carburetor. Putting the gas tank on top of the car lets you do without a fuel pump -- not a carburetor. And I don't understand what removing the hood's supposed to do -- cars with hoods aren't starved for oxygen.

Now, maybe you knew all this and were just putting us on, JR, but hey -- someone just might believe that stuff. Glad you didn't have to get your engine rebuilt, though.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 09:43 PM
If the hood isn't taken off,

it P-nches the hose when you close it:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2005 at 02:45 PM

JR, I saw the gas tank on top of the truck set-up for the first time in Ensenada, several years ago. Actually it was a large plastic jug that held the gasoline. It was located near the dock boat-lift area and this was the old crane truck that actually hauled the boats out of the water at the time.:lol:
I don't care what others are saying here, I enjoyed your story a lot. I guess some folks just love picking things apart and transmitting bad vibes at times.
Keep'm comming!
Bob H:D

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 01:16 PM
As they say in the old country Bob

the others are idiots and so few they dont matter anyway!:lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.