BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VGABNDO needs an amigo or two.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-22-2005 at 11:36 AM
VGABNDO needs an amigo or two.

Cathy and I will set out in a few days to spend the month of February in San Nicolas. Cathy's mom is "getting on in years", and having had my own mother pass away while we were out of communication in Baja, we'd like to set up an emergency contact point or two.
Is there someone in Loreto or Mulege who would share their phone number with us so that in a "worst case scenario" you could be called, then either get info to us through the VHF radio in the village, or by making the scenic drive to beautiful downtown San Nicolas?

Is is fairly unlikely that we would need to ask anyone to make the drive, but it would make Cathy feel a LOT better about leaving her mom.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Perry

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 05:00 AM
Vgabndo....

We would be glad to help you keep in contact with your mother. My wife is visiting her own mother right now in the frozen North...she is 93 and we appreciate and share your concern. I have VHF, cellphone, sat-phone, and Internet phone/email service at our house. I know the road to San Nicholas quite well and am acquainted with homeowners in the area. I will U2U a message to you with email, etc.

I have radioed VHF signals to San Sebastian & San Nicholas before, although it can't be done readily with all the mountains and distance involved...mostly a matter of luck relaying through offshore fishermen or NOLS kayakers..but it's a short drive (1 hour) in case of an emergency. Better yet, If you know a telephone number or email address in San Nicholas then I could contact that person directly and relay to you quickly.

Whatever, rest assurred we will contact you in a emergency.

[Edited on 10-25-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

thumbup.gif posted on 1-23-2005 at 10:21 AM
Great generosity!

Hose A: Thanks very much for your offer. It looks like Pompano has us covered!

Pompano: I got the info. and will get it to family members. I could SEE the weight being lifted from my sweet co-pilota's shoulders when I read her your e-mail. A profound THANK YOU is yours from both of us.

At this point I don't know anyone who has sophisticated communication in San Nicolas, so "worst case" I guess it would mean a drive.

I'm betting our mutual acquaintances in SN would be Kenny and Sue, correct?

Among our hosts, we know everyone but some of the West-enders who prefer it that way.

We rent from Huero Espino.

Perry Sims and Cathy Valentine

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.