BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Constitution cops... Again.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2016 at 02:26 PM

Dunno how they do it. But my impression from the original story was that the cop had access to the right info as soon as he went back to his car and checked in with a data link of some sort.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 09:23 AM

Which thread on here had the number of who you call to report the CD Constitucion cops? Minister of Tourism, Comandante of CD, or what?

Neighbor got shaken down yesterday, including scary trip around town "following the cop to the station" until it got dark and then they "bargained" down from 5K US to $3,500 pesos, all they had on them, just to get out of town.

Cop followed them from South to North and then pulled them over for an "infraction".

She didn't get a badge number or a photo because it was the first time she has been pulled over and was rattled. She also knew about the rep there and was driving very carefully.

I turn on my cell phone camera and wedge it into the seats when I drive through there but I haven't been stopped. Would love the disgraceful cops who pulled this to be booted in the new "clean sweep of corruption campaign" but I am not holding my breath.

:fire::fire:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akmaxx  
Which thread on here had the number of who you call to report the CD Constitucion cops? Minister of Tourism, Comandante of CD, or what?

Neighbor got shaken down yesterday, including scary trip around town "following the cop to the station" until it got dark and then they "bargained" down from 5K US to $3,500 pesos, all they had on them, just to get out of town.

Cop followed them from South to North and then pulled them over for an "infraction".

She didn't get a badge number or a photo because it was the first time she has been pulled over and was rattled. She also knew about the rep there and was driving very carefully.

I turn on my cell phone camera and wedge it into the seats when I drive through there but I haven't been stopped. Would love the disgraceful cops who pulled this to be booted in the new "clean sweep of corruption campaign" but I am not holding my breath.

without a picture or badge number...its all hearsay. good luck.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 09:31 AM

:lol: Clean wseep of corruption?

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akmaxx  

In the past, Nomads said to photocopy this, tape it to the back window...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 10:15 AM

This is an old number but he may know who takes complaints now...also thought the number of the director of SECTUR was posted somewhere but can't find it.

Happy National Day of Police..........

LICENCIADO MIGUEL ANGEL VILLALEJO, the Director of the police in Constitution,

this thread had the names and phone numbers ....

613 100-1910 cell phone number but someone should call and double check that this guy is still in office since gvt has changed.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 02:20 PM

I was stopped by a cop in Ciudad Constitucion last week on my way back to Loreto from Todos Santos, right in town, going north.

I had stopped at the Michoacana Ice Cream store for a limon ice and saw him standing at the corner watching me. My friend and I (another lady) were in a California plated Jeep Laredo. When I got back in my vehicle he stood in front of us and asked me for my license. He checked out my ID and gave it back, and then said "Adelante".

He was kind of creepy.....short, stocky....like something out of a "Porky Pig" cartoon. My dog really didn't like him. :rolleyes:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
jdshipman83

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

You folks of a different culture will just never get it.
Didja ever take the time to research the issue of police impunity, and human rights abuse, at all levels, in Mexico?
Would you think, just for a minute, that the officials to whom you might complain, are free of the same infractions? The captain behind the desk spent his time on the streets too......and Serpico doesn't work here.
You won't change anything, so why keep trying?

I think we all "get it" buddy, but call me crazy, just because something is a widespread and endemic problem doesn't mean we should all just sit back and let it happen. Don't think for a second that it's a waste of time for us Gringos to push back on stuff like this. How people respond to these situations matters. If we all started pushing back on these types of shakedowns and making things more difficult on local officials (instead of just rolling over), these shakedowns would be less frequent. That's a fact. These officials are trying to make easy money, and people with your mentality are making that possible.

My hats off to the poster. They handled the situation well. And I hope others will do the same thing. At the end of the day, we (Gringos) have an obligation to show respect for Mexicans and local culture, but that does not mean that we have to accept unlawful or pretextual shake-downs. This isn't the wild west. I am always very respectful to police and local officials, but I will never pay for the privilege of being a Gringo in Mexico. If I am being accused of some dubious offense, and the officer wants to take me into town to see the judge, that's fine. He can roll the dice and take his chances. Either way it goes, my money won't be easy money.
jdshipman83

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 11:49 PM

I don't give a big eff what anyone does, but please quit trying to bring a US style of culture, law and order to another country. It's arrogant and offensive.
Again I say, did anyone here ever research the studies by, especially Dutch Social Scientists, concerning impunity for law enforcement in Mexico?
Lemme answer that for you...."No."

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by DENNIS]

So it's arrogant and offensive for us to push-back when local officials are trying to collect a mortida when there has been no violation of the law? That's preposterous. We aren't colonizing the place - it's about respecting the rule of law.

Yes - you are correct that Mexico has a long history of corruption, impunity for law enforcement, etc. These are all objectively bad things, and frankly, it is these very conditions that are hindering Mexico's transition to a more developed economy. Your logic of simply throwing our hands up in the air and accepting things as they are is the same line of logic that was used by the Germans at Nuremberg. It was bad logic then, and it's bad logic now.
jdshipman83

[*] posted on 12-23-2016 at 11:54 PM

Again I say, did anyone here ever research the studies by, especially Dutch Social Scientists, concerning impunity for law enforcement in Mexico?
Lemme answer that for you...."No."

[Edited on 1-15-2016 by DENNIS]

And no, I have not read any of these studies you reference. I don't need a Dutch social scientist to tell me that there has been an impunity for law enforcement in Mexico. I think we are all on the same page on that one. In any case, I doubt that these studies concluded that the best course of action is to just ignore the issues and accept the status quo.
jdshipman83

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 12:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I recounted, several months ago, my shakedown experience of Sept. 2014. Was I intimidated? Yes .Did I pay? yes. Given the same circumstances would I do the same thing? yes. I don't need to explain or apologize to anyone.

You're right - it's your prerogative to pay a bribe. But people like you are the very cause of these problems, and every time you roll-over, it endorses what these officials are doing, and it makes things more difficult for all of us. Like you said, you don't have to apologize. Some people are easily intimidated, and they are willing to be part of the problem so long as it avoids any confrontation or personal inconvenience. If you are okay being one of those people, that's fine. No apologies necessary.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think we all have an obligation as visitors (for lack of a better word) to accept and respect local culture. I don't expect special treatment as an American expat. But Mexico is a Western democracy with an established rule of law, and by God, if you're carrying a blue passport, then as far as I'm concerned, you are a citizen of godd*mn Rome. You don't pay off local officials when you are acting lawfully.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 07:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jdshipman83  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I recounted, several months ago, my shakedown experience of Sept. 2014. Was I intimidated? Yes .Did I pay? yes. Given the same circumstances would I do the same thing? yes. I don't need to explain or apologize to anyone.

You're right - it's your prerogative to pay a bribe. But people like you are the very cause of these problems, and every time you roll-over, it endorses what these officials are doing, and it makes things more difficult for all of us. Like you said, you don't have to apologize. Some people are easily intimidated, and they are willing to be part of the problem so long as it avoids any confrontation or personal inconvenience. If you are okay being one of those people, that's fine. No apologies necessary.

Like I said in my earlier post, I think we all have an obligation as visitors (for lack of a better word) to accept and respect local culture. I don't expect special treatment as an American expat. But Mexico is a Western democracy with an established rule of law, and by God, if you're carrying a blue passport, then as far as I'm concerned, you are a citizen of godd*mn Rome. You don't pay off local officials when you are acting lawfully.

Man, your rant is just a bit behind the curve on this stuff. You register last month and you're taking on Chuckie and Dennis in a post that's a year old? You must be up late drinking, again.

The CC cops have been discussed at length in many posts you'll have to go back and read. There are 2 distinct sides to corruption: pay or don't pay. Save your morality and ethics for North of the border.

Don't like Baja, Mexico? Don't come down.

Oh, by the way, Merry Christmas ya'll.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 07:56 AM

Keyboard Kourage.. Maybe sometime he will wear the moccasins. I have nothing to prove. Merry Christmas all...stay well

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 09:32 AM

For what it is worth, I drove through Constitution, and Insurgentes Tuesday afternoon (12/21) and saw no sigh of any police activity. Two years ago just before Thanks giving, on the same drive, I saw five different police stops. All Mexican plated vehicles.

In fact, from La Paz north, I saw no evidence of increased police activity all the way to the border!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 08:37 AM

This thread has me nervous. 3 years ago this "little fat guy" ticketed us for illegally parking in front of the coffee shop... in a parking space THAT HE GUIDED ME INTO.
I'm coming through Cd C with the New Years rush of Gringos on 1/2. My plan is to of course drive uber slow, stop at every intersection, never stop for any business.
Oh.... and dog secure inside kennel crate here and nearer to La Paz.

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by kiterkip]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 09:00 AM

There is no room for a kennel for my large (85 lb) dog in my small car. I use a harness that is designed to work with standard seat belts, or I use a short leash strapped to the roll bar when the top is off.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 09:17 AM

As taught to me by my father; when you sense a bad situation, if possible, always ask the cop if he is married. Then ask quickly what your wife would do if you got fired by the Sindictura.

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 09:32 AM

....and if he's not married?

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.