Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The cover came off my Baja Almanac
Arthur
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 1-26-2005 at 08:17 PM
The cover came off my Baja Almanac

The cover came off my Baja Almanac almost immediately, but I just figured out how to get it back on.

I ran a strip of packing tape down the fold, on the outside of the cover, then went to the inside and used the same tape to attach a thin piece of nylon cord (could have been fishing line) to the inside of the fold. I left the loose ends hanging out the top, so when I knotted them the knot wouldn't get in the way of the book closing. Seems like it'll hold.

Can you tell I'm home sick and wish I was out working with my tools again? If I had it to do again, I'd probably use duct tape, because I don't know how that packing tape will hold up under repeated folding. We'll see.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 09:01 PM
Covers came off both of mine too

thanks for the repair scheme. You really need to get a life. So do I.

++Ken++
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 10:46 PM
You guys cracked me up!

but.....I'm so anal.....I keep mine in a zip lock bag! :o :biggrin:

(but, it does keep the cover on).....get a grip guys! you can't be so careless with something so valued. (remember "Zipppppp-Lockkkkkkk")

WHOOOO! should that admission be listed on the "how do you know when you are addicted to Baja?" poll?
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 11:16 PM
Zip Lock Works, but...

when you're constantly referencing it there's no time. My cover fell off after the first trip. The next page, now filled with small notes, directions, phone numbers and details and spoiled with stains from red wine and the issues of sweating glassed filled with ice in the subtropics have all but obliterated even a few of the following pages. But I don't get serious about Baja until I'm in the central desert. Those pages are protected by so many others.

I wonder, just as an afterthought, how soon they will come out with a revision? I wonder if the publisher has been listening to the corrections the experienced drivers on nomads have pointed out?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:29 AM

Mike, I am working on it! Did you hear last week's Baja Talk Radio program with Jennifer Redmond of Sunbelt? She even mentioned me in the second segment when talking to Ted about the Almanac. I sent her an email correcting her comment that the Almanac was flawless... and offered to assist with the next version to reduce the flaws made by Mexican cartographers or increase Landon's edits. Sunbelt doesn't publish the Almanac, but they distribute it for Landon and I asked for a good email to him, as he didn't answer my previous one.

Things like Hwy. 1 in the wrong place between San Agustin and Catavina, Arroyo El Volcan misnamed, showing an auto road between San Francisco de la Sierra and Santa Marta, to name a few!

[Edited on 1-27-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 08:30 AM

I (as I'm sure others) would love to see an updated version of the almanac. The cover came off of mine too.
My big Baja Atlas (with the spiral bound cover) is getting worse for ware also. The pages just start to tear out like a spiral bound notebook. But I hate the thought of taping over the cover and or pages.
Anybody got any good repair tips?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 09:31 AM
I would like to invite him to the booksigning

David if you get a good email would you ask if you could give it to me too so I can invite him, Thanks,k:yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bajagato
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 1-27-2005 at 09:36 AM
too many margueritas...

We left ours at the bar at Cielito Lindo on Dec. 26th and when we came back through on Dec.31, it was still there and we re-claimed it, whew...that was a close one!!!!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 10:50 AM

Mike knows not of things value (I've seen him rip pieces out of his for note paper.) :?: :spingrin:

But like cars/trucks/Suvs/mohos.....I guess he can just by another one....(whoops, did I say that?, hope I don't find Mike ahead of me next time laying tack strips)......:no: :saint:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:18 PM

You mean that cover was once attached?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:42 PM

David:

Have all of those corrections to the Almanac been mentioned on this list? I remember some being discussed on the Amigos list.

If they're kind of scattered, maybe we should start a new topic to get them all in one place. The next step would be to organize them by location so they could all be on a page that we could keep in the back of the book. I could do that -- it's the kind of thing I do for a living.

But first we should get them all together. Then either Landon could pick up the ball -- if he's interested -- or we could.

OK, I talked myself into it -- I'm going to start that topic. Let me know if you think it's a mistake, David.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 08:49 PM
Ah....the dreaded cover detachment

Someone should start a forum for those with a story of how their Almanac cover STAYED ON. Though I suspect that forum would be empty.

Personally, I keep my detached cover over the almanac anyway. It's sad really, but it gives me a sense of totality, wholeness. Made to be broken these things were.

In my dreams I see a waterproof, fully laminated Baja Almanac, bound by steel rings. But in a sick way the busted cover is apropos of Baja itself...and a sign of frequent missions. :-)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 09:02 PM

How can i get one of these famous almanacs?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 09:16 PM

Jesse... everywhere!

1) http://www.baja-almanac.com

2) http://www.mapworld.com

3) http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com

4) http://www.discoverbaja.com

5) http://www.sunbeltbooks.com

[Edited on 1-28-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 10:58 AM

I advise you to get one of the maps at the same time. The detail that the Almanac offers is frustrating when you want to step back and get a bigger picture.

For awhile they were throwing in a map with each almanac, but that's probably long gone. The map's only six bucks or so, though.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.