Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Salton Sea, Death Valley, Lone Pine
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 09:06 PM
Salton Sea, Death Valley, Lone Pine

Left Monday Feb. 29th from the San Diego area for some road tripping. Headed out solo around 1PM for the Salton Sea. Camped at Salt Creek ($8), then drove to Bombay Beach for meat loaf, potatoes, bread and vegies (special at Ski Inn for $7).

scss.JPG - 99kB

Camped at south end of campground, lazed around until about 10 AM then headed out. Yes my camp is my van (stove, sink, fridge, bed, and bano), and chair.

saltcamp.JPG - 91kB

Stopped at Headquarters to the visitor center, then drove up to Mecca, and up to Joshua Tree National Monument .My National Pass meant no money to go thru park. Went to Amboy then thru Kelso then to Baker. Was getting dark so camped about 30 miles WEST of Baker at a rest stop that was another Salt Creek.

saltcreekbaker.JPG - 136kB

Here there were hiking trails and a short hike led to an area where a rare desert creek flows.

saltcreektrees.JPG - 138kB

Breakfast at Shoshone, then on to Death Valley Junction. Wasn`t sure my destination so continued north. Here is a random selfie shot, nothing really to see here.

selfie.JPG - 131kB

Thru Beatty NV, down to Death Valley and out thru Stovepipe Wells. Found a Caltrans crew digging up this sign. They said they were moving it up the hill???????

sealevel.JPG - 123kB

The road thru Panamint Springs to Lone Pine is amazing. I took one pic but it doesn`t do it justice. 9% grade in some stretches so had to put the old van in low gear. Stopped several places, look forward to doing the road traveling west to east.
Made it to Lone Pine with plenty of time to stop at the hostel for a $5 shower. Then to Alabama hills to camp. Parked near this Silver Back---

gorilla.JPG - 116kB

Left Lone Pine Thurs. afternoon, and made it to Short Canyon where I considered camping (parking). It is about 1 mile from the intersection of 395 and hwy 14, and about 4 miles west. My old low rider van made it no problem, but maybe after a storm, not so easy. Flowers and canyon were beautiful and there was phone service enough there so I could FaceTime my wife and show her the scenery.

shortcyn.JPG - 115kB

But felt like I was being watched (Big Foot?) and was creeped out so went down the hill to camp down toward Red Rock Canyon. Then today it was getting on the road and fighting the traffic to get home to wife, son, granddaughter, and dog. Things are great, now what to do next week???

[Edited on 3-5-2016 by BornFisher]

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 10:35 PM

Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 10:41 PM

Neat
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 10:56 PM

Like it! Love Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Bristle Pine Forest is great as well.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2016 at 10:57 PM

Meant WEST of Baker for the other Salt Creek.
Note to Nomads--- It was pretty easy to post this. Maybe 1 hour and painless. I encourage any trippers to post. I took pics on my Iphone, emailed them back to me on a medium setting (less than 250KB), downloaded them and posted. My biggest problem was controlling myself to keep it simple!!!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 07:49 AM

You left your dog behind? Now why would you do that?

Thanks for posting this report, I like using 395 as my route to Mexicali, but I haven't spent any time getting away from the highway. Looks like I need to budget a little time for that.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Note to Nomads--- It was pretty easy to post this. Maybe 1 hour and painless. I encourage any trippers to post. I took pics on my Iphone, emailed them back to me on a medium setting (less than 250KB), downloaded them and posted. My biggest problem was controlling myself to keep it simple!!!

When i lived in Ridgecrest I used to drive down to Red Rock canyon and take pictures when ever a western movie was being filmed there. I can't find any of the action stuff I photograped but this was the spot where the action took place (I did not take this picture and don't know who did) :

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bigboy  
Like it! Love Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Bristle Pine Forest is great as well.

All part of my old stomping grounds Larry. PS; you forgot to mention Dirty Socks Well :O

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 09:49 AM

Very nice and THANKS. You got close to our neck of the woods. I agree about that drive through Panamint Springs down to Lone Pine. It is one of our favorites and it is so difficult to capture in a picture. It is just such wide open territory.

Are there any wildflowers in the Alabama Hills yet?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 09:59 AM

If you explore any of the old movie sites and look closely as you walk you can find remnants of filming. I have found old bottles, cans, a few film canisters and both 3-in-one and 5-in-one blanks used in movie firearms
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If you explore any of the old movie sites and look closely as you walk you can find remnants of filming. I have found old bottles, cans, a few film canisters and both 3-in-one and 5-in-one blanks used in movie firearms

And the Movie Museum is very much worth a visit.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 10:21 AM

Love the selfie sign. Reminds me of a local sign which proclaims, "live nude girls!" Because dead ones are no fun....

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 08:04 PM

Excellent Bill. Thank you. See you in camp.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 01:14 PM

OK a few comments-- AK, my dog won`t go with me anymore. Once I put her in the van and she didn`t see home for 2 weeks. Now when I open the van door, she runs back inside the house and tries to lock the door!! It`s bad enough when your wife refuses to go with you, but when your dog refuses, it adds injury to insult!!!
Smart dog---

Toby.JPG - 98kB

Bigboy-- I heart Lone Pine, Bristle Pines, Cerro Gordo, Whitney Portal
Robert-- Dirty Socks is well named. I had to talk my crazy cousin from getting in the water there!!
Diana-- never made it to Movie Road. The spot I camped is the first place possible on the north side of WP Rd. There was road work going on with a sign that said 30 minute delay possible so I stayed where I was. And yes, LOVE the movie museum, last time there bought the video they show. Was also there when Movie Days was happening. Boy, gun fights, and horses all over town. Also tours and out on Movie Road, many placards showing movie scenes where they were filmed.
Woody-- I knew you would love the upside down selfie!!
Hey, I thought my sea level joke was good for the forum??

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 06:05 PM

Toby, love ya.

Sent from my I.B.M. Selectric

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

When i lived in Ridgecrest I used to drive down to Red Rock canyon and take pictures when ever a western movie was being filmed there. I can't find any of the action stuff I photograped but this was the spot where the action took place (I did not take this picture and don't know who did) :

One of my all time favorite westerns "The Big Country" was shot here with one scene at this very spot.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Quote: Originally posted by bigboy  

All part of my old stomping grounds Larry. PS; you forgot to mention Dirty Socks Well :O

PS to Bornfisher. Beatty was also part of my stomping grounds back then. Only a hop, skip and a jump across Death Valley from Ridgcrest. The main attraction back then was the Vicky Star Ranch that had a night lighted landing strip.

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.